Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
diesel has a problem fetching.:hammer: ill throw a tennis ball out or a frisbee he will take and go sniff it, pick it up and spit it out and go do something else. has anybody else had this problem? or is it just me? any input would be great. :)

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
All dogs are different. Some like the game some dont. Try shorter distances like 5' and work your way up. Like any training a reward is good for what you wanted him to do.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Lots of praise everytime he picks it up. Also try running around while you hold the ball or frisbee and make a game of it. He will probably wangt it if you makea big deal out having it. if you use a frisbee try playing a little tug-o war with it. When he grabs it praise him good. Make it something he will want.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Try doing it in the house first. Then once he does it there, get something he LOVES and let him smell it and keep it handy, every time he bring you the ball give him the yummy cheese or what not that you have so he associates good things with bringing the ball to you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i took everybody's thoughts in and it seems like it's getting better every time we go out now

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
every time we go out now it seems like it's getting better and better so this is great news!!!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Put him on a long line throw the ball and when he gets it bring him back with the line. That helps bring them back till they understand the game. Some dogs just do not have drive for fetch but try the long line first.
I'll try that.

I've tried treats but once Sasha figures out I have treats, she won't care about the ball anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What most people dont understand is that sometimes the dog chases it, picks it up and splits it out hence the problem is having him hold it in his mouth before you can even reel him in. It was the same for my Rottie Bella. What you need to start with is a long line, a tennis ball and some treats. Slice a cut in the tennis ball, show him that your putting a treat in the tennis ball and then throw it. I am almost positive that he will go after the ball and when he picks it up or tries to get in it to get the treats thats when you reel him in and give him the treat. Eventually you will be able to just throw the tennis ball and he will pick it up, hold it in his mouth (some dogs just drop it and leave) and bring it back to you.
Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts