·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody play fetch and is it a good workout

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
great work out mine love especially cali, she will do anything to get in a game of fetch.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mu boy loves it, jus wont give the ball back.lol
I also bought one of those chuck it launchers so i throw it a lil farther

·
Registered
776 Posts
i got mine to give the ball back by starting on a leash .
short toss , use command " bring" . Dog runs , grabs ball , i tug back using the command " here" . use a treat to coax the ball outta thier mouth and mark the behavior with huge amount of positive reinforcement when they do it right " good boy" and a hug or a good scratch!
you can tell when they start doing it without the coaxing and you try it without the lead or a longer lead till they bring it back every time .
They will love it even with structure.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Nytro loved fetch, onbly bad thing was once you started playing he wouldn't let you stop!
Best way I found to teach your dog to drop the ball or toy when playing fetch, is to use two. keep one in your hand at all times, keep said ball behind your back until the dog runs up with the one you just threw and surprise them with the one in your hand. If you get a good rythm going your dog will be going nonstop and learning at the same time. you just eventually start working with out the second toy. Worked quick for Nytro and I've also used the trick on a lot of the shelter dogs, with great results.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Mine loves playing fetch. I had a hard time getting him to release the ball so I would have him drop it in my lap and sit then I would throw it again. I learned the hard way. He went for it as I was grabbing it and ended up ripping my nail off to the quick. Now he has become lazy, he only wants to play catch in the house. lol. We will go out for our first toss and he will run straight back into the house and look out the door like, "Let's play inside" My husband would kill me if we broke his big screen tv, so we roll it in the house.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I trained just like Motorcross and it worked wonderfully. My boy LOVES fetch but its bad cause if I forget and leave his ball out I keep getting it dropped at my feet, like HINT HINT lol, and if I touch his ball UGH he is like YES YES YES IT WORKED!!! lol. I keep his fetch ball up cause I don't like him thinking he is telling me when to play, etc. Its my choice not his. I feel bad for all the newbies who come by and think he is sooo cute wanting to play when he keeps harassing them with stuff being dropped on them, no he thinks you are his bitch. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
5,098 Posts
Loki loves a game of fetch. He does this goofiness where he will bring it back, go to place it in your hand and then snatch it back before you can get a grip on it like "syke!" He will leave it on your lap and if you ignore it then he will reposition it as if to say "here, it's here, RIGHT HERE". Such a spaz. We don't have a very large yard so we mostly end up playing catch instead of fetch, you can play that inside or out :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Carter will do the fetch, bring it back, drop it thing once maybe twice. However if i throw it, let him get it then chase him around and wrestle it out of his mouth he'll do it longer. Makes sense, the second is way more fun for him haha

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,563 Posts
Loki loves a game of fetch. He does this goofiness where he will bring it back, go to place it in your hand and then snatch it back before you can get a grip on it like "syke!" He will leave it on your lap and if you ignore it then he will reposition it as if to say "here, it's here, RIGHT HERE". Such a spaz. We don't have a very large yard so we mostly end up playing catch instead of fetch, you can play that inside or out :D
sounds like my Odin. we use a kong for fetch and he sticks the small end in his mouth first so there's almost nothing sticking out and then when u reach down for him to drop it he turns and puts his butt in ur face lol. LOL. then when u stand up he turns back around but still does it if u bend back down. so i basically ignore him at that point and then he does the put it in ur lap or on ur feet thing lol. such a goober. :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Max loves to play fetch, but his favorite game is letting the lab fetch the ball, stick, whatever and waiting for her to bring it back so he can chase her with it.

He'll hide behind a bush until she gets close, then pounce out at her and chase her around for about 20 minutes.

Fetch takes a long time at my house.

·
Premium Member
5,098 Posts
sounds like my Odin. we use a kong for fetch and he sticks the small end in his mouth first so there's almost nothing sticking out and then when u reach down for him to drop it he turns and puts his butt in ur face lol. LOL. then when u stand up he turns back around but still does it if u bend back down. so i basically ignore him at that point and then he does the put it in ur lap or on ur feet thing lol. such a goober. :D
We use a Kong too. I have found that a finger in the hole (okay ya'll get your minds outta the gutter!) gets it back from him. I taught him well enough not to grab once I have it and to let go once I have a grip on it, it's just the getting it that he likes to play a game with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts