Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my first one is how do I get him to stop eating like a pig he eats so fast sucks hes belly in . also he shoves his head into the bowl like hes trying to push his way out the other side he dont growl or try to bite just waggs his tail we tryed sitting with him only letting him have little bit at a time

ok now the nasty habit one!
how do you stop stool eating? my vet gave me pills for it but it dont bother him one bit!

any of you ever had this problem ?

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
For the food inhalation, there are several tricks... I found my dogs eat slower if I take a few pieces at a time and throw it across the kitchen floor, letting them search for it lol. Occasionally I lose a piece under the stove or fridge, but they work for it that way lol.

Some people have recommended putting a big rock in the food dish and making them eat around it, but I've never tried that method so I can't say how well it works.

The stool eating, unfortunately you won't be able to break that habit unless you're vigilant in picking up the mess prior to letting him relieve himself again. That's the only sure-fire way to get him to stop eating his own stool.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
You can also try feeding him out of muffin pans, or place a small bowl upside down inside a larger bowl, pouring the kibble in the trough between them. They also make bowls with obstacles built in.

ThaLadyPit is right about the other crappy problem for dogs not deterred by the pills. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Some people say they are eating it because they are missing something from their diet. Wht are you feeding? I have also heard pineapple in their food tastes horrible in their stool so they don't like it.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
i can say for sure that putting something in their food bowl makes them eat slower. i tried it with Odin this morning, lol. normally he eats so fast im not sure if he even tastes it ;)

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
I've tried using Pineapple in the dogs' food, and just the juice, as well as using Deter on another dog I had... no luck. Just best to scoop as soon as it hits the ground. That's the best deterrent.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've also heard (for question #2) that a small amount of Adolf's meat tenderizer will work. Not sure how true this is, as my dogs only eat cat poop (if they get a chance.)

·
Registered
901 Posts
Invert a smaller bowl in his dish to slow down his eating. Also you can buy one of those toys that dispense food so they have to work for it and finally hand feed. 3 different options. Also as my vet once told me, dogs can be nasty lol. Clean it up after he eliminates.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Meat tenderizer is MSG, I wouldn't feed it to my dog. Pineapple has never worked on anyone's dog that I know to have tried it personally (not to say it wouldn't work, I just don't know anyone who it actually did. Picking it up immediately is really your best option.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Unless he is hurting himself or bloating he should be ok. My dogs all eat very fast. When you diet a dog and don't free feed its common for them to eat very quickly. I have a couple who eat kibble by kibble but the majority just breath it in lol. Justice takes each piece out of her bowl sets it on the floor and then eats it....Weird dog that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts