Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
ONE BAD MOTHAPHUCKA
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90-100 lb red mutt that lives outside. He busted not 1, not 2, but 3 clips on his tie out since this afternoon. It's dark and I don't have any of the parts to fix it right now. What did I do with him? Bring his stinky butt in the house and put him in a crate in the kitchen. THAT is responsible pet ownership. Not half assing something to hopefully get him through the night. Not letting him run loose and hope that he doesn't get stolen, shot, or hit by a car before morning. Putting him in a GUARANTEED safe environment is my responsibility as a pet owner. He's not happy about it either lol! He's gonna be really not happy with the bath he gets tomorrow either.... I posted this on fb as well but I thought it would be good to post on the open forum here so people that don't know me outside of here know that I practice what I preach!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
So you want a cookie for using a little common sense?

I don't get what the point of this "story" is other than "self satisfaction" for doing nothing.

Reactions: Rudy4747

·
ONE BAD MOTHAPHUCKA
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you want a cookie for using a little common sense?

I don't get what the point of this "story" is other than "self satisfaction" for doing nothing.
Notice I didn't put it in VIP I put it in the general section...this wasn't a pat on the back for myself it was more of a nudge for the "new" folks on here that don't know yet how to contain or maintain their dogs. It's ok though you seem to comment something smartass on everybody's posts so I know I'm not just singled out. Redog has been pushing us to EDUCATE more than be hateful jerks so that's what this post was about.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I wish people in my neighborhood put more effort into containing their dogs, there is a red nose pit down the street from me (a big, snarling, not so nice one) and his owner keeps him on one of those thin cable tie outs from Wal-Mart. Every time I go by that house I can picture him snapping that cable like a string and barreling towards us... Hasn't happened yet, though.

And another thing I'd like to see is people training their dogs not to bolt out the door anytime it's opened, I see 2 - 3 little fluffy rat dogs wandering the streets by my house EVERY day.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Notice I didn't put it in VIP I put it in the general section...this wasn't a pat on the back for myself it was more of a nudge for the "new" folks on here that don't know yet how to contain or maintain their dogs. It's ok though you seem to comment something smartass on everybody's posts so I know I'm not just singled out. Redog has been pushing us to EDUCATE more than be hateful jerks so that's what this post was about.

I haven't commented on everyones thread I commented here, Dave has always pushed that idea since I've been here any how and I'm still here so.apparently I'm not simply a hateful jerk and I don't have to kiss his or anyone else's ass either.

Anyway, still don't see how this is helpful to someone that lacks,, in fact if someone is that brain dead to where they see a chain is broken and does nothing to either temporarily resolve or fix the issue, I'd rather see that person rehome their dog and try again after grasping the most basic.of common sense.

But hey if it makes you feel like you accomplished a feat. Or educating.

·
ONE BAD MOTHAPHUCKA
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't commented on everyones thread I commented here, Dave has always pushed that idea since I've been here any how and I'm still here so.apparently I'm not simply a hateful jerk and I don't have to kiss his or anyone else's ass either.

Anyway, still don't see how this is helpful to someone that lacks,, in fact if someone is that brain dead to where they see a chain is broken and does nothing to either temporarily resolve or fix the issue, I'd rather see that person rehome their dog and try again after grasping the most basic.of common sense.

But hey if it makes you feel like you accomplished a feat. Or educating.
Ok so you are singling me out. I don't give a shit. Seriously.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
I wish people in my neighborhood put more effort into containing their dogs, there is a red nose pit down the street from me (a big, snarling, not so nice one) and his owner keeps him on one of those thin cable tie outs from Wal-Mart. Every time I go by that house I can picture him snapping that cable like a string and barreling towards us... Hasn't happened yet, though.

And another thing I'd like to see is people training their dogs not to bolt out the door anytime it's opened, I see 2 - 3 little fluffy rat dogs wandering the streets by my house EVERY day.
Your first comment sounds like walking down my street past my house.... I see no issue (or how you know the dog is a "pit"). Not everyone thinks its the cruelest or saddest thing ever to keep a dog outside and not every dog is a softy that wags tails at everything they see...

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I will be sure to ask the dog's owner for the dog's pedigree the next time we walk by...

I never said he was kept out 24/7, I have no way of knowing that he is just always out when we go by. Nor did I say he should wag his tail at me when I walk by I just said he is not so nice. The cable seems very small and flimsy to me for a dog his size. My only point was that it is scary to walk by a dog that is practically foaming at the mouth who is held only by a thin cable. I just wish he was better contained. And if they do keep him outside 24/7 I think that is very sad, I don't like to see that but the comment you are referring to was in a different topic. IMO dogs belong inside, I can't stop you from leaving your dog in the yard all day every day but if you choose to do that at least make sure the dog is totally secure. People in my neighborhood do not do that.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
Dont be snide bcuz I pointed out u constantly call ur mutt and other unknown dogs "pits"(after beimg told countless times there could be not 1 drop of apbt blood in all the dogs u call "pits").

Its not up to you to decide if the dog is properly contained. I keep my dogs (when outside) on a chain for dogs 20lbs and under. I also keep one in a kennel you'd bawl ur eyes out over (hes outside 24/7 and barks, growls, snarls, jumps and bounces off the kennels alomg with biting the kennel) as ppl walk by. Sorry but ur comment couldve very well been about me and my dogs (a lot of similarities) and as such I commented on how if ur so petrified walk a different direction.

·
ONE BAD MOTHAPHUCKA
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be sure to ask the dog's owner for the dog's pedigree the next time we walk by...

I never said he was kept out 24/7, I have no way of knowing that he is just always out when we go by. Nor did I say he should wag his tail at me when I walk by I just said he is not so nice. The cable seems very small and flimsy to me for a dog his size. My only point was that it is scary to walk by a dog that is practically foaming at the mouth who is held only by a thin cable. I just wish he was better contained. And if they do keep him outside 24/7 I think that is very sad, I don't like to see that but the comment you are referring to was in a different topic. IMO dogs belong inside, I can't stop you from leaving your dog in the yard all day every day but if you choose to do that at least make sure the dog is totally secure. People in my neighborhood do not do that.
My male stays outside 24/7 he doesn't like to be in the house. There is NOTHING wrong with dogs living outside. There is something wrong with any dog not getting any attention, exercise, or stimulation. That has nothing to do with outside or inside....

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Wasn't trying to be snide, just making a joke. Guess it wasn't very funny. I would not call a dog that did not look like a pit or the owner said was a pit, a pit. I know what they look like and you are free to disbelieve me all you like. I don't think it is a big a deal as you are making it into about me calling dogs pits, I know everyone will jump my back for it but that's how I feel. No need to explain it over and over to me I know why you guys don't like it, and I still feel the same way. Agree to disagree. Either way the dog's breed is not important, we can call it the dog so everyone is happy.

Now back to the topic. No, I do not get to decide if dogs are properly contained. I FEEL as though this particular dog is not. Hence the "I wish" in my posts. I can wish all I want, won't change a damn thing though. In my experience, the cables I am talking about are not the most reliable, I have seen dogs tear through them and also just rip the stake out of the ground. If the dog was in a kennel like you are talking about, yes I would be sad (irrelevant) but I would have less of an issue walking past, even if it was acting aggressive.

You say walk a different direction. Fair enough, where shall we go? Past the big dog a couple houses down that has no fence, no tie out, just wanders the yard freely? How about past the two aggressive dogs behind the 4 foot fence they have jumped repeatedly? Maybe by the little dogs that squeeze under their fence and bite at my shoes? Or my personal favorite, the wood fence with the hole in it big enough for their big, dog-aggressive dog to go through. Again, not trying to be snide just saying if the answer were so simple, I would have done that already. I have also tried to walk at different times of the day, like late at night, but the bigger dogs are still out and I feel like I would be even more at risk since there are less people around to help me if things got out of hand. Maybe I should have used one of those other examples so you wouldn't feel as though I was saying all dogs on a cable, including yours, are not secure.

And if everyone here except me thinks dogs can live outside too, that's fine. I know you all feel you are right just like I feel I am right. I wasn't looking for a debate on dogs inside vs dogs outside, it was a comment I made elsewhere that was sort of brought up out of nowhere to make it sound like I was saying something I was not. All I'm saying is, I am not going to change my mind so keep telling me I am wrong all you want but don't derail your topic on my account. I know you are trying to educate, I think that's a wonderful idea.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts

Look , I agree with you that the dog should be properly secured ok.......but can you PLEASE ashcan the judgemental attitude towards folks who don't all keep ALL their dogs inside sleeping on the couch?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
And if everyone here except me thinks dogs can live outside too, that's fine. I know you all feel you are right just like I feel I am right. I wasn't looking for a debate on dogs inside vs dogs outside, it was a comment I made elsewhere that was sort of brought up out of nowhere to make it sound like I was saying something I was not. All I'm saying is, I am not going to change my mind so keep telling me I am wrong all you want but don't derail your topic on my account. I know you are trying to educate, I think that's a wonderful idea.
Then quit bringing it up and implying that everyone who keeps a dog "outside" is some sort of bloody heathen , if you're going to insist on tossing that in then don't complain about response/rebuttal.

And frankly your neighborhood is not unusual , lots of 'em are like that , people just don't control their dogs , of whatever breed for whatever reason.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
If it keeps the peace, I will work on how I say things from now on. I felt a bit ganged up so I got a bit preachy, but if Just Tap Pits and the OP thought I was attacking all dogs on cables I get it. Text is easy to misunderstand.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
If it keeps the peace, I will work on how I say things from now on. I felt a bit ganged up so I got a bit preachy, but if Just Tap Pits and the OP thought I was attacking all dogs on cables I get it. Text is easy to misunderstand.
I thought you were clear you were saying it for YOUR dogs, not judging anyone else who does it properly. Just my .02 for what its worth.

I am right there with you on the cable tie out. I got one rated for dogs over 50 lbs My boy has snapped a few while playing with his ball so I refuse to use them as well because its not worth the risk. Get the right equipment for your dog.

I HATE retractable leashes, they are unreliable and dangerous. BUT I know a great trainer who lives in the country and uses one that is a Horse lead. Well I figure if a huge horse cant break it it MUST be rated for a dog? lol

JTP glad you have not had issues and I am sure you have checked them often, but why not get one rated the weight of your dog just in case? (I am curious not trying to start trouble)

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Oh ok , I see.......folks who rebutted you are so bleeding stupid that they "misunderstand" the basic written word rendered in black and white.

I understand now , really I do.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Oh ok , I see.......folks who rebutted you are so bleeding stupid that they "misunderstand" the basic written word rendered in black and white.

I understand now , really I do.
Well of course not, I never said that I meant the intent or the emotion behind it. Like Just Tap Pits saw my post, keeps his dogs in a similar way and felt I was being judgemental about all dogs kept outside. In my first post I honestly did not mean that at all, that's what I meant by misunderstand.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Just throwing this out there Sarah , alot of people who use chains improperly use chains way to big for the dog , the slim cable you are worried about could very well be the proper gauge for what is needed, and if he hasnt snapped it off then sounds like he is properly contained. I use crates here , my dogs are crated often and get rotated hey sleep inside but honestly what is the difference with crating and using chain spots, chain spots they would get more room then they do in crates. Im not set up here for chain spots i have some outside kennels used during the day hours. A proper chain spot is nothing close to being cruel or mean as long as the dog gets the needs met , food, water, time off the chain, work , attention on a daily basis. The only time I get mad when I see a dog chained is when it is improperly done , or when they are not getting the basic needs met each day. Most APBT people I know use chain spots for safety reasons with DA being an issue and they do a great job at giving the care needed. They are nowhere near neglectful or irresponsible.

Reactions: OldDog

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Well of course not, I never said that I meant the intent or the emotion behind it. Like Just Tap Pits saw my post, keeps his dogs in a similar way and felt I was being judgemental about all dogs kept outside. In my first post I honestly did not mean that at all, that's what I meant by misunderstand.
Look , that's the way you come across when you bring the subject up. And frankly if ya wanna save the world and make sure each wee doggie has a couch to sleep on then ya better start coming up with homes for lots and lots and lots of dogs.

And since you admit to the "intent and emotion" behind the statement , it rather begs the question of why you made the statement if you " didn't mean it"?

Maybe you should give those words in AB's reply to you some consideration , another to ashcan might be the underlying one you seem to carry that just because a dog is in the house it's being kept correctly.

There's a well known AKC/UKC show competitor and breeder that has all her dogs in the house , all 60 plus..........in crates probably twenty hours a day.

But hey they're "in the house".....right?

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
Again with this looks like a "pit" wth does a pit look like? For christ sakes theres REAL apbt you wouldnt call a "pit" cuz it doesnt look like one. Quit feeding bsl with false labeling.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts