Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week when we brought Dai Ca home, we took him for a check up, to make sure he was healthy, get his first DE wormer & possibly his first vaccines. The vet (we'll call her Vet #1) said because he's 4 weeks the vaccine won't work because he still has anti biotic in him from his mother. So she left us living in fear that he could catch something like Parvo. Then we had our first puppy Chanel taken to the vet (vet #2) for a check up, found out she was a little sick from eating her Pedigree Dental bone all in one sitting. Gave us some medication, if she wasn't better to bring her back. She didn't get better :( so we brought her in this morning for a stool sample & 3 x - rays. The Dai Ca's stool looked just like Chanel's so we took him in. His stool checked out fine & so did all of Chanel's :) thank goodness ! They both just had some gas build up & gave me medication for Dai Ca, Chanel still had hers. The vet #2 said it was perfectly fine to give him his first set of vaccines, just to be on the safer side of everything. Thus being done, we can officially say our puppies are both healthy now & Dai Ca has his first vaccines :) I can sleep a little easier now. (btw vet #2 is the better, nicer vet, both our pups love her)

The total vet bill $630 <--- completely worth every penny ♥ ♥

:D

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
thats weird cause the pups only have the antibodys if they are nursing and If momma was UTD on her vaccines , from what I understood. So with the pup being so young and not nursing on momma and who knows if her shots were UTD how could the vet #1 assume that the pup had antibodys. My vet said they can start vaccines at 4 weeks but recommends waiting till 7-8 weeks to start but thats on normal pups who are with mom up until the 8 week mark or so and with a healthy momma. I dont know maybe I just wasnt understanding it right. But glad your pups are all healthy and well and you were able to get the shots done :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's what I thought too, but vet #1 said it didn't matter. But then vet #2 said that it's in the mothers blood a bit, so they automatically get a little bit of it. Your vet along with my vet #2 are right, being that they didn't have a mother, it is better safe than sorry to have their first vaccine between 4-6 weeks rather than 7-8 weeks :) However there is the slight chance the vaccine wont work, but we'll never know unfortunately.
Makes me wonder how many bad vets there are out there, thankfully we both seem to have a good one ^_^

Thank you :)

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
glad to hear its going well!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
ya there is a reason they do a set of 3 shots for there 1st shots , the way I was explained was there is a window of opportunity and they find giving the vaccine 3 times gives a better chance of catching that window , most of the time the shot doesnt do anything its just that 1 time where it gets that right timing. { my vet explained it that way and I believe someone on here explained it similar to that as well cant remember who it was right now though , malibu is going down nicely lol memory not working so hot right now lol} but its only in the mothers blood IF she was vaccinated if she wasnt cared for properly or kept up to date on vaccines there is no guarantee it there to begin with.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
{ my vet explained it that way and I believe someone on here explained it similar to that as well cant remember who it was right now though , malibu is going down nicely lol memory not working so hot right now lol}
Sorry this part I don't quite get, about Malibu lol.

But the way you & your vet explain the vaccines, makes a lot of sense. I wish there was a way to detect it though. To make sure they've actually been vaccinated. With the mother situation, again that makes sense. Who knows if the mother was even well taken care of. All I know is the mother dog was no where around after just under 2 weeks, I'm not sure what happened to her, but I know she was no where to be found :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts