Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to see if a couple of the crew can do protection work, but have not been able to find a trainer that is within a reasonable distance ( and works APBT).

Well tonight I found a GSD breeder HERE IN TOWN that just started having trainers come out once a week for OB and Protection work! They are SUPER affordable, ok with APBT and are looking to start a PSA club :D :D I could not be more thrilled right now.

I live so far up north, in a very small town, that to get to the ADBA events way down south that only happen a couple times a year gets expensive in travel. We have very few up north and even those are several hours away. Then comes the ones with no WP that I make no effort to go to. So to find something right here in town is so great. Without travel fees I can afford to put all of the competition crew in Protection/OB training :D

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Thats awesome!! Cant wait to see what you do with them!! :D

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Oh how awesome!!! :D

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
thats good news! i know what u mean though, NorCal doesnt seem to have very much goin on dog wise.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have been wanting to see if a couple of the crew can do protection work, but have not been able to find a trainer that is within a reasonable distance ( and works APBT).

Well tonight I found a GSD breeder HERE IN TOWN that just started having trainers come out once a week for OB and Protection work! They are SUPER affordable, ok with APBT and are looking to start a PSA club :D :D I could not be more thrilled right now.

I live so far up north, in a very small town, that to get to the ADBA events way down south that only happen a couple times a year gets expensive in travel. We have very few up north and even those are several hours away. Then comes the ones with no WP that I make no effort to go to. So to find something right here in town is so great. Without travel fees I can afford to put all of the competition crew in Protection/OB training :D
I've never really supported the idea of using this breed for protection training.
And that for several reasons.
First, this is the one breed that does well without it. By nature they are human friendly (when they aren't back yard bred, or simply bred by punks).
They are known for being easily stolen by strangers. And those dogs total game.
Now, should a threat arise to a loved one, they can turn into a true hell hound.
If a threat is detected, they will stand between the threat and the family.

Second, long term breeding of dogs trained in bitework could have drastic effects.
If a generation of these dogs from protection work had a pup go in the hands of a common pet owner,
or even the wrong hands, trouble could follow.
Other breeds are known for being human aggressive, Rotts, Dobes, GSD's.
History has proven what happens when these dogs get in the hands of peddlers.
The quality and years work can quickly be wasted and lost.

Third, it would only harm the image of the breed in the eyes of the unknowing public,
that is already brainwashed by the media and animal control people.
These dogs were traditionally known for two things:
Being the best pit dogs in the entire world,
and their love of people, particularly children.
Today, they are by far the most athletic of dog breeds,
and have even beat other breeds in their own specialty.

On the positive side, I am aware that a dog must be totally obedient and
have an excellent temperament.
It is more of a discipline to learn to control any aggression, and be able to turn it off.
I have heard of some ApBT's succeeding in this, but it is not for every dog.
Just, if you are going to do this, keep the bites at the arms! ;)

I haven't really done this before, so it's just my opinion.
Never had a need to train my dogs to protect.
They are naturals, and can smell a bad person quickly.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I love the idea of making a pitbull a protection dog.

I totally already taught my dog to mock aggression upon command for when my woman is out walking the dog she has a safe guard.

My method for teaching him how to do the "protect" command on leash only was to leash him to a pole or fence in the back yard and wait for him to bark or yelp at me out of boredom.. When he began his bark or yelp I would say "Tiger Protect" an give him a high value treat for his response. After he mastered the command in that form. I then took it a step further and did it with me holding the leash and him facing a friend while barking and yelping again rewarding him with a high valued treat.. Soon it just became a game to him.

I also taught him my " who's there " command which makes him sit and people watch very calmly.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never really supported the idea of using this breed for protection training.
And that for several reasons.
First, this is the one breed that does well without it. By nature they are human friendly (when they aren't back yard bred, or simply bred by punks).
They are known for being easily stolen by strangers. And those dogs total game.
Now, should a threat arise to a loved one, they can turn into a true hell hound.
If a threat is detected, they will stand between the threat and the family.

Second, long term breeding of dogs trained in bitework could have drastic effects.
If a generation of these dogs from protection work had a pup go in the hands of a common pet owner,
or even the wrong hands, trouble could follow.
Other breeds are known for being human aggressive, Rotts, Dobes, GSD's.
History has proven what happens when these dogs get in the hands of peddlers.
The quality and years work can quickly be wasted and lost.

Third, it would only harm the image of the breed in the eyes of the unknowing public,
that is already brainwashed by the media and animal control people.
These dogs were traditionally known for two things:
Being the best pit dogs in the entire world,
and their love of people, particularly children.
Today, they are by far the most athletic of dog breeds,
and have even beat other breeds in their own specialty.

On the positive side, I am aware that a dog must be totally obedient and
have an excellent temperament.
It is more of a discipline to learn to control any aggression, and be able to turn it off.
I have heard of some ApBT's succeeding in this, but it is not for every dog.
Just, if you are going to do this, keep the bites at the arms! ;)

I haven't really done this before, so it's just my opinion.
Never had a need to train my dogs to protect.
They are naturals, and can smell a bad person quickly.
On your first 2 I actually use to say 100% the same words. I do not at all agree with using these dogs as guard dogs..

That being said I ended up becoming friends with a woman who does this sport with a majority of her dogs and after actually learning and spending about 2+ years of educating myself. I found that these dogs are in no way being HA ( I can not say this for all dogs and handlers) They are training to bite a sleeve. It is based on drive for a toy not drive to attack a person. My dogs would never be used for protection of my yard, just competing in the sport.

I have a female who has her SCH1 and she is the sweetest dog to everyone, you would never know what she is trained to do.

As for the public, really our dogs just existing send up red flags. There is not much of anything you can do with this breed without it getting twisted and used against them. You can't work them, can't put expensive ass spiked collars on, can't keep them at a healthy weight.... If I stopped doing everything that made my dogs look bad to the public, they would be limited to laying on the couch and being over weight.

Like I said though I had your exact thoughts a couple years ago and fully understand where you come from.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
On your first 2 I actually use to say 100% the same words. I do not at all agree with using these dogs as guard dogs..

That being said I ended up becoming friends with a woman who does this sport with a majority of her dogs and after actually learning and spending about 2+ years of educating myself. I found that these dogs are in no way being HA ( I can not say this for all dogs and handlers) They are training to bite a sleeve. It is based on drive for a toy not drive to attack a person. My dogs would never be used for protection of my yard, just competing in the sport.

I have a female who has her SCH1 and she is the sweetest dog to everyone, you would never know what she is trained to do.

As for the public, really our dogs just existing send up red flags. There is not much of anything you can do with this breed without it getting twisted and used against them. You can't work them, can't put expensive ass spiked collars on, can't keep them at a healthy weight.... If I stopped doing everything that made my dogs look bad to the public, they would be limited to laying on the couch and being over weight.

Like I said though I had your exact thoughts a couple years ago and fully understand where you come from.
It is how you worded it.. There is a HUGE difference between protection work and Sch, which is a sport. I would not call a dog that does Sch or training associated with it "protection" as this is no form in relation.. Most titled Sch would make poor protection dogs, as you said yourself its all in the sleeve.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is how you worded it.. There is a HUGE difference between protection work and Sch, which is a sport. I would not call a dog that does Sch or training associated with it "protection" as this is no form in relation.. Most titled Sch would make poor protection dogs, as you said yourself its all in the sleeve.
Very true. They are trying to start a PSA club as well so the words were in my head lol.

This is all new territory to me so I am sure this will not be the last of me brutalizing the correct term ;)

·
Registered
870 Posts

Glad you read my words correctly. :)
I worded my words carefully to avoid a break stick coming through the screen, lol. ;)

Maybe you're right, regarding the public.
One thing I DO WISH BSL WOULD DO IS THIS:
All non-registered ApBTs, or pit mixes, be fixed.
All registered dogs must be tagged/tattooed somewhere to identify Kennel,
in the event of a bite.
This would put the blame where it goes, in the breeding, on the breeders.
Culling would then become a part of a breeding program, quality over quantity.
I believe all kennels would cull much better that way.
The shelters would not be over crowded, tax money saved.

But that's just a faded vision....people, so-called animal lovers, would protest.
And the breed haters would despise it. Why?
Because the bad dogs help their cause.

Okay, back to the original point:

If it's for sport and you like it, and learn, go for it.
Good Luck. :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing I DO WISH BSL WOULD DO IS THIS:
All non-registered ApBTs, or pit mixes, be fixed.
All registered dogs must be tagged/tattooed somewhere to identify Kennel,
in the event of a bite.
This would put the blame where it goes, in the breeding, on the breeders.
Culling would then become a part of a breeding program, quality over quantity.
I believe all kennels would cull much better that way.
The shelters would not be over crowded, tax money saved.
:goodpost:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts