Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard was it? What area are you in?

I'm fed up with my fiancee's treatment of Riley. We just got in a fight again about him. He's horrible to the dog, has no relationship with him besides screaming at him and punishing him over the top roughly. We've been doing the leadership program, but all it seems for DF is an excuse to hurt the dog- everything is a "serious offense to him." He rips him off the ground and throws him HARD back down. & apparently he's jealous of the dog, but he (DF) is not neglected in ANY way and yeah it makes me a little resentful to see him continually hurting my boy. It's at the point where Riley cowers in fear when he comes home and tries to hide behind me when DF punishes him.

I have had continual talks with him about it which just leads to him screaming at me about how everything is my fault since I baby the dog. I take very good care of him, but he is not spoiled- he works for everything he gets.

I am worried about finding a place that will allow him though, but we've got to get out of here.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you rent a house it tends to be a little easier then an apartment. Either way normally you can expect to pay an extra deposit up to 500.00 and then maybe 35.00 a month in extra rent. It is not too bad if you can afford it.

Go to rent.com and start there for your search. I think moving out is a good thing to do. The line between animal abuse and him abusing you is awfully thin.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Wow that sounds awful. He is breaking that poor dogs spirit. You really need to get him out of that situation or he may grow fearful of men and become fear aggressive. You can try looking for rent houses on craigslist. I had great luck with that. I found many private landlords willing to let me have my dog. It also helps a lot if your dog has passed any obedience school or earned any certificates. The house I am moving in next weekend is allowing my dog they just asked that I carry renters insurance. I got renters insurance through state farm for 14 dollars a month! I'm not paying any more of a pet deposit than what was required on the house which was 250 non refundable. Oh and I live in Tulsa oklahoma...

Oh and when you talk to a landlord... I would first ask if they allow pets, then arrange to see the property, after you are there talking to the landlord, and they can see that you are a nice clean cut person, then explain about your dog and go into major details about what kind of training and care you have invested in your dog. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I live near Boise Idaho and it was a little harder for us since we moved from out of state and we couldnt let potential landlords meet our dogs. Being that Nikita is still fairly a puppy made it a little harder, but if you truly put your mind to it you will find a place. As said before I found my current house on Craigslist. The landlord didnt even flince over the phone to the words American Pit Bull Terrier. Also dont call them Pit Bulls call the full breed name that will show that you are serious about your breed and are very knowledgeable and responsible for them.

As far as the BF can I come kick his a$$ for you? lol Thats a horrible feeling for not only the dog but for you. A bit of advice protect yourself and your dog at all times and get out quietly. If he is willing to hit at all, animal or not, he is willing to hit you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This Is a very sad situation you definitely need to look for a solution. What I can tell you from moving recently that a lot of places up here in (Florida) are asking for renters insurance and up to $100,000 in liability insurance on pitbulls. Not all but most, just in case you run in to this situation know it is normal now a days you can get insured by GICO… I think it was a lil over $300.00 for the year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm okay, I thought it was going to be near impossible. I've emailed about 30 listings on craigslist, we'll see how that turns out. I always had to have renter's insurance before, so that's no big deal. I'll look into liability in my state (pa).

Thank you all for the support and suggestions!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
If it seems like your moving may take a while - is there anyone who can keep the dog for you? I would no way in "hello" leave my dog subject to that nut job. If you dont, I apologize if I've made you feel worse than you already do.
But kudos to you for looking to get the heck out of there.
Next time it may not be your dog he focus' his displeasure on.

Been witness to that road before.

·
Registered
162 Posts
good luck with your situation, but do your and riley a favor and get out...thats not cool seems DF has some insecurity issues, and really needs to man tfu! You dont treat a dog like especially ur girls dog because its not cool and when Riley hurts i am very positive you do also. Sorry if i have offened you but I'm with sargentnakita glad to kick his arse too, DB....

good luck,

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I was very excited to find an efficiency a quarter of a mile from my job that allowed big dogs. When I went to investigate, they didn't allow "aggressive breeds." So I started calling other apartments, and they all had the same policy. I think you'll have far more luck speaking with private renters than with apartment complexes. Be sure to present your dog in the best possible light, highlight any special training, if he's neutered make sure to tell them that, and assure the landlord you will procure renter's insurance to cover the liability.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
How hard was it? What area are you in?

I'm fed up with my fiancee's treatment of Riley. We just got in a fight again about him. He's horrible to the dog, has no relationship with him besides screaming at him and punishing him over the top roughly. We've been doing the leadership program, but all it seems for DF is an excuse to hurt the dog- everything is a "serious offense to him." He rips him off the ground and throws him HARD back down. & apparently he's jealous of the dog, but he (DF) is not neglected in ANY way and yeah it makes me a little resentful to see him continually hurting my boy. It's at the point where Riley cowers in fear when he comes home and tries to hide behind me when DF punishes him.

I have had continual talks with him about it which just leads to him screaming at me about how everything is my fault since I baby the dog. I take very good care of him, but he is not spoiled- he works for everything he gets.

I am worried about finding a place that will allow him though, but we've got to get out of here.
WOW! Hows he gonna treat well... nevermind~ you gotta' make a decision and you already know you do. You can do one of three things, and Im sure you know what they are, I would make the decision that my heart wants and makes life better(only you know) NOT PRACTICAL easier. Practical is what everyone wants you to do to make their life easier ;) I have had continual talks with him about it which just leads to him screaming at me about how everything is my fault since I baby the dog. I take very good care of him, but he is not spoiled- he works for everything he gets. <sounds FUN; you could treat like the :poop: it is & :flush: it with the rest.

I put up with finding housing for my dogs for over 10 years now, the best thing to do is take the dog with you and let the landlord see the dog right of the bat, if you got multiple dogs thats different inwhich I did, but with one dog sounds like it should'nt be a problem for him to make good buddies, well besides with "DF".. Best of Luck, OH how people treat animals is a good indicator of how they will treat spouses and children, just check the DSM IV.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
or ya could jus move out to the west coast in the rainy state n i'll give ya a huge list that take pits out here n we can meet and take our pooches for walks... dumb a$$ free :D puttin a little room between ya sounds like a great idea to me but ya know how i think bout that... ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
get rid of that guy..you can move out to Cali...there are lots of dog friendly houses out here...but seriously..get ur dog away from that guy cuz its hurting ur dogs sefl esteem and that aint cool.....good luck wit what ever decision you make..make it from ur heart!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it seems like your moving may take a while - is there anyone who can keep the dog for you? I would no way in "hello" leave my dog subject to that nut job. If you dont, I apologize if I've made you feel worse than you already do.
But kudos to you for looking to get the heck out of there.
Next time it may not be your dog he focus' his displeasure on.

Been witness to that road before.
Sadly no :(. The only people that'd even have room or time are my mom and my sister. My sister has an extremely DA dog and my mom hates Pits with a passion :(.

or ya could jus move out to the west coast in the rainy state n i'll give ya a huge list that take pits out here n we can meet and take our pooches for walks... dumb a$$ free :D puttin a little room between ya sounds like a great idea to me but ya know how i think bout that... ;)
Haha yeah I do. I'm working on getting out. Friday while he's at work I'm meeting with 6 people who have places for rent who were fine with Pits. I'm hoping one of them pans out.

sounds like u need to get rid of him and not the dog
Trust me I'm not getting rid of my boy. My dog boy anyway.

·
Registered
206 Posts
A bit off topic but if your fiance can't get over the fact that you love your dog and compromise even if he doesn't...that's the groundwork for a rough marriage. It's not my place to say because I don't know your situation, I'm just saying...in general if you are yelling at each other over stuff before marriage it's only going to get worse.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I hope you find an apt. - and I have to say despite all the reasons why you are looking for one - I'm happy for you.
I'm happy that you have the insight & the strength to leave. It's not easy - but pity the fool who tries to do you wrong again.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
To the OP.. I'm glad you're making your move safely and quietly. I've been in similiar situations where men were abusive first to my dogs, then towards me. I've got a scar down the middle of my forehead, in my left eyebrow, and a broken nose to show for it. My last ex-b/f did the forehead and broken nose, after kicking my dog and breaking her ribs b/c she was trying to protect me b/c he acted like he was going to hit me! Please, be careful, and keep us updated on what you find out!

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
To the OP.. I'm glad you're making your move safely and quietly. I've been in similiar situations where men were abusive first to my dogs, then towards me. I've got a scar down the middle of my forehead, in my left eyebrow, and a broken nose to show for it. My last ex-b/f did the forehead and broken nose, after kicking my dog and breaking her ribs b/c she was trying to protect me b/c he acted like he was going to hit me! Please, be careful, and keep us updated on what you find out!
:goodpost:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the support, it means a lot.

One of the places I loved. I have to give him an answer for next week.

But I just found out about an hour ago I'm pregnant, so now I have NO idea what to do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts