Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

New member with shelter rescue for 3 weeks here looking for help with clothes. Warrens neck is 12.5" and his chest/girth 30" Length 22.

I ordered a 3XL in a sports team puffer vest (biggest size they made) and it wasn't broad enough in chest and shoulders (surprise:) ) To bad because it was a great jacket with hood, I just couldn't fasten it from below.

Any suggestions where to go to buy? I have read a boys size 8-10 may work. Warren has longer legs than the typical APBT because he's a hound mix.

He doesn't like rain at all and I believe he's not a fan of cold either, is that typical?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I like these. They are expensive but are great on my boy. He has the rain coat cause he is a diva who won't poop in the rain without it (longest he held it was 28 hours. It sucked!) . And the fleece sweater. You can wear both at the same time if it wet and cold.

http://www.chillydogs.ca

My boy is a 5t so it's trial and error on kid sizes. My mom has also made some from a pattern she made. So funny having odd shaped pups lol

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Rain coat and sweater

ImageUploadedByPetGuide1415029464.458436.jpg

Just the sweater
ImageUploadedByPetGuide1415029535.049664.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh thanks much.

Yes I can see the need for the "T" tall sizing because he is kinda long too. Maybe the boys 8-10 would be too wide?

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Could be wide but an elastic or something could cinch it up. I went to the Salvation Army kid section and got a bunch of different sizes for like $3 lol then i donated the ones that didn't fit back.

Pups- Nope. Depends on where you live but It's not for every dog (or every owner lol) Some pups have no problem with the cold and snow. My boy will play in the snow and walk without anything no matter the temp. He will start shaking turn red red and raw on his face belly and ears from the cold. If his ball is outside He will shiver and freeze as long as I let him lol. It's the rain he hates. And I hate seeing him shiver. So under 30 degrees I put his sweater on him. And if I want him to walk or poop in the rain he needs his raincoat or we will be out there for no reason lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My sense is my boy doesn't like cold either, but for sure doesn't like rain. A co-worker said last winter her pit mix wouldn't go past the garage entrance to poop for 2-3 days because of snow and cold and she had to give him a suppository!

I like the idea of going to a thrift store and buying different sizes, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Ouch longest my boy went was 28 hours and I was worried. Such divas!! Good luck :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Ames! I am i Georgia and it's usually not too terribly cold, but once in a while we get flurries or a couple of inches of snow . Thanks!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ames,

A couple questions if you don't mind.

I like the sweater and raincoat - did you have to buy them separately?

Secondly, my Warren does this thing where he rolls on his back and he seemed to do it more frequently when I put on the Thunder Shirt as a light layer to go outside - it seems it makes him itchy (or it's just a behavior ?). Do some pits have issues with clothes?

Warren usually rolls on a large stretch of grass but with his Thundershirt on he actually rolled on pavement. This rolling thing is something he does when he's having fun too like when we're playing ball, he will stop with the ball in his mouth and just roll around on his back in the grass. What a nut.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here are Maggie and Bizmark showing off their Kurgo Loft jackets. They are super adjustable and fit my barrel chested boy just fine.

They also have sweatshirts I found at Fit for a Pit. Maggie will not go out without her jacket if it's below 50*. She doesn't like wearing any other clothes. Bizmark is fine with whatever you want to dress him in.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Ames,

A couple questions if you don't mind.

I like the sweater and raincoat - did you have to buy them separately?

Secondly, my Warren does this thing where he rolls on his back and he seemed to do it more frequently when I put on the Thunder Shirt as a light layer to go outside - it seems it makes him itchy (or it's just a behavior ?). Do some pits have issues with clothes?

Warren usually rolls on a large stretch of grass but with his Thundershirt on he actually rolled on pavement. This rolling thing is something he does when he's having fun too like when we're playing ball, he will stop with the ball in his mouth and just roll around on his back in the grass. What a nut.
haha that is a nut! Could be trying to get it off his back lol I did buy them separately and they were expensive BUT worth it. They are great quality and have lasted me going on 5 years now. Some dogs have issues with some things and some dogs don't. Depends on the pups. You can get them used to it by giving TONS of praise and reward while you birng it out, then go to put it on and when he is wearing it. I am sure fif you take it in steps with treats he will be looking forward to seeing it when it comes out. :)

Here are Maggie and Bizmark showing off their Kurgo Loft jackets. They are super adjustable and fit my barrel chested boy just fine.

They also have sweatshirts I found at Fit for a Pit. Maggie will not go out without her jacket if it's below 50*. She doesn't like wearing any other clothes. Bizmark is fine with whatever you want to dress him in.
Love the green! Super cute!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These pics are awesome, cute dogs.

Is that Maggie in the blue coat? Warren has a long neck and body like her and clothes I have put on him look a bit off because of how they fit around his neck and chest.

I can see the quality and good fit in the chilldog apparel Ames. My wife rightfully calls me out on my fashion and accessory spending for hobbies, so I see myself spending the money for the Chilly Dog clothes. My worry is that he will roll on pavement and wreck them! He is a bit of a "bull in a china shop" :)

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Hahaha my boy is as well. He wears them in hikes and playing in the snow. If this one got ruined somehow I would spend money on another because I like how easy and quick they are to put on. And he can piss and poop without coming close to the sweater lol

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
And my boy would NEVER go for this lol could you imagine?! I don't know many dogs that would.

ImageUploadedByPetGuide1415201037.646409.jpg

·
Registered
200 Posts
These pics are awesome, cute dogs.

Is that Maggie in the blue coat? Warren has a long neck and body like her and clothes I have put on him look a bit off because of how they fit around his neck and chest.

I can see the quality and good fit in the chilldog apparel Ames. My wife rightfully calls me out on my fashion and accessory spending for hobbies, so I see myself spending the money for the Chilly Dog clothes. My worry is that he will roll on pavement and wreck them! He is a bit of a "bull in a china shop" :)
Yes, Maggie is in the blue coat. She's a pit bull / black lab mix -- super long and leggy. I originally bought the medium for her and the large for Bizmark (in the green), but the medium fits Biz much better and Maggie really needs the length in the large, even though it's kind of baggy around her neck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
She's a pit bull / black lab mix -- super long and leggy. I originally bought the medium for her and the large for Bizmark (in the green), but the medium fits Biz much better and Maggie really needs the length in the large
Warren is Hound Pit and he's 22 long, neck 21 and chest 30 - medium you think? He has long legs too.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Oh my gosh hahaha... I'm pretty sure my two would have the look of torture if I put that on them, like the dogs in the aspca commercials lol.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA right!! lol I hate when Mel gets cold ears but come on a muff?? Glad I don't like in canada where its really needed.

Warren is Hound Pit and he's 22 long, neck 21 and chest 30 - medium you think? He has long legs too.

[/URL][/IMG]
Warren is Adorable! They were really good at helping me with Sizing and are really good at exchanging if you get the wrong size. I got Mel a medium, if that helps. Gargamel is 19 inches long, 20 inch neck and 28 inches around his biggest chest area, and its a tad big, which is Ok since its not TOO big. I would think go for a medium, sounds like our boys are similar in sizes except height :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Maggie has a 29" chest and an 18" neck, and she's 27" long. The medium fits her fine, it just ran a bit short. The girl is 16 months old right now, I'm expecting that chest and neck of hers to start developing.

By chest and neck measurements, Bizmark should be in a large. But the large was too long for him.

Warren is a very pretty boy! I love those brindled spots.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts