Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
I'm in New York city I use a local butcher for my raw meats ... Organic or grass fed , free of hormones and antibiotics freeze for a week to kill any man made bacterias, when I can't make it to the butcher I get Primal or Bravo grinds those are pretty expensive tho ...

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
You don't... just like you don't know if what you're eating is antibiotic and steriod free. you have to rely on the label. You could try to find a farmer, but even butchers don't have their own stock for sale.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Exactly, same goes for kibble but people insist it must be safe so just trust your gut.

I get what I cant find at the grocery store from a butcher. Thats Rabbit and Duck. I get Chicken, Fish, and Quail from a grocery store.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
For the city dweller; it would be usefull to feed, rabbit, squirrel, or various poultry. These animals can be harvested with somthing as simple as a BB/Pellet gun. In the winter dogs need more to eat, so of course one might have to hunt more. Theres always a butcher I have found; willing to part with B.A.R.F. Hormones and chemical free; you only know for sure when raised/harvested yourself. My dogs eat Elk, Bear, Coyote, rabbit,venison, and fish. In the spring when its predator season, I make a mixture similar to Frozen BilJac, which for me is the only storebought food worthy of our time. As a vet tech, hearing it from the horses mouth. All commercialized dry dog food comes from one of two places, Vets promote science diet because its tested by scientists and veterinarians. High end dogs need the most form the healthiest source; thats why I feed raw.

Hoagie~heavy Halls/Zebo w/ Garner "Spike" outcross..

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
I'll know if its not hormone or antibiotic free because Duece will have a reaction to the meat ... we guinea pigged him a while to see ...
If I buy him grocery store meat his gets sick ... if I get meat from my butcher he's fine.
I switched butchers 2 months ago and he got sick , I went back to my own and he hasn't had a reaction yet , tho he is also on an allergy program I'm sure that plays a part too ...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
What is a "High End" dog? And why does a "High End" dog need a different diet than any other dog?
I had a APBT that I found in the street 13 years ago and he turned out to be THE best dog I ever had. Considering I have paid $2500 and drove from CT to Florida to hunt and pick up dogs....I'd say that shows how much praise that is for my little street dog.

·
Registered
309 Posts
For the city dweller; it would be usefull to feed, rabbit, squirrel, or various poultry. These animals can be harvested with somthing as simple as a BB/Pellet gun. In the winter dogs need more to eat, so of course one might have to hunt more. Theres always a butcher I have found; willing to part with B.A.R.F. Hormones and chemical free; you only know for sure when raised/harvested yourself. My dogs eat Elk, Bear, Coyote, rabbit,venison, and fish. In the spring when its predator season, I make a mixture similar to Frozen BilJac, which for me is the only storebought food worthy of our time. As a vet tech, hearing it from the horses mouth. All commercialized dry dog food comes from one of two places, Vets promote science diet because its tested by scientists and veterinarians. High end dogs need the most form the healthiest source; thats why I feed raw.

Hoagie~heavy Halls/Zebo w/ Garner "Spike" outcross..
Can you please elaborate on where you get your info on dry foods?

I study these foods up and down and go to lots of seminars with work regardless if I like the brand of food or loath it. There is laws against such companies providing misleading information set by the department of AG.( I think its AG. ). I was told flat out that Hills gets it junk from lower quality standards but is quote sterilized before processing and I was told that by product is good by Hills ( I know its not!!! ) also and they broke down a science to it but it had no reasoning for its use. With that in mind how and why would they be able to lie about it?

Natura for example as well as many others are very reliable and very different from other companies. Lots of companies make the difference even with the methods they use to process the kibble in the sense that they slow cook it at low temps to try to retain as much nutrients as they can. There really is good reasons why some of these foods cost more than others.

I agree,... Raw is the best but I would like you to share references to where you get this info on dry foods being the same.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
If a dog "must" have any special type of food then it will not be bred in my yard, nor will it stay intact.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts