Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first pitbull, she is black and white and 4 months old. She is sweet and a good tempered and calm natured dog, kinna laid back, i like that. But i have buddies who have pitbulls and american bulldogs, but i want to find out what i really need to do to keep her in good shape. I just got her today and she is under weight, i bought some 26% protein feed i think called tuffline, my buddy that hog hunts with dogs uses it, but is fixing to switch to black gold, then i will be buying some from him. I may train her to catch, i aint sure, i mainly want her for a guard dog, we live way out in the country off the highway a few hundred yards in a pasture with a big fenced in yard, woods nearby, i also have 2 small kids, wife, a few dairy goats, cow, mini pot belly pig, few chickens, a cat (i ran over the other cat one night, stupid cat didn't move)and a beagle (Shadow, and boy does he love her, "Delila" is what they called her) I will get some pics of her tomorrow, i have to bathe her, get shots, wormer, and put the flea and tic stuff on her, i've always done everything myself and had dogs in good health, i can't afford to take them to the vet for wormer and shots, so i administer to their needs. But i want her to continue to be calm natured, but to be aggresive to strangers and keep them out while i can still trust her around my kids, but she came from a young family like mine with small children and a few chickens and other dogs and she didn't seem to bother the chickens. She loves my little boy and he likes her too, what are yalls opinions????

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
first off welcome. :) can;t wait to see some puppy pics! There is tons of great information on here and if you stick around you will learns tons. Do some searches. There are plenty of things to learn, couple of things are important these dogs are NOT meant to be guard dogs. These dogs should NEVER be aggressive towards humans, they are not bred for being watch dogs or guard dogs. Never leave your children alone with any dog, especially if they do not know boundaries with dogs. also, your dog is young, give him time and he will go after your chickens one day. Do not let him be around ANY other anumal unsupervised, its looking for trouble. Once they mature Dog Aggression will almost ALWAYS show in some for or another.

Also, just curious (not trying to judge.) Why would you get another animal if you might not have money to take the animal to the vet? You should count on vet bills as a rule when you get an animal, and if routine shots are not in your budget, how will you handle all the other things that might pop up? Something WILL happen at some point, you should be prepared.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Hi and welcome!!
Cant wait to see some pictures of your new girl I lvoe me some black/white dogs. What Ames said is true these dogs are not gaurd dogs at all. Most will help a stranger find your best silverwear...haha. You can train your dog to be an alert dog bark when someone comes down the driveway but you dont ever want to train them to attack that goes totally against this breeds personality.

Another thing you will want to watch for is dog aggression. Since you have a beagle and both are of the same sex you will want to keep an eye out for aggression it usually sets in around the 2yr age but in some dogs it can start alot earlier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the beagle is a male, and Dedlila is a female, but when someone sees a pitbull, they tend to stay away, i have had some keep me away before too!!!, lol. My beagle and his good nose are very alert at night and barks occasionally at some of the varmits in the woods, but i can tell by his bark when it is really something there! i used to have about 6 of them, and man, you couldn't get them to hush for nothin sometimes lol. I don't want her to be a mean dog, she is very good tempered right now, and even likes the little cat, but i know what they were bred for, I do not let any of my animals go without medical attention if they need it, knowing when they need worming and shots and flea control, is very easy. If there is something wrong i will get them looked at, but i have never had anything in bad health. All of my animals are in very good shape and spoiled.
But i feel that if she is raised up around all this she will be fine, i've seen pits on game **** farms and not even look at the chickens, lol. Delila was free, what i'm saying is i don't have to pay a vet for 7in1 shots, follow up shots, and worming, i can do all that myself, i've done it all my life, but i do take them to get their rabies shots. but i will not leave my kids alone with her, but i feel like i got a good one, she is just as sweet as she could be, and loves me and my little boy. she does growl just a little when i feed them, but i stayed with her and petted her and she was fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts