Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok quick background I usually keep boxers. My best friend suffered thru the loss of her third boxer from cancer. She had mentioned before getting a the first boxer that she wanted a pitt. So what did I do went out and bought her a Pitt.
NEVER buy anyone a pet period. She declinded stating she wasn't ready for another dog. Hence I have a new addition to my dog family which consists of a very large unneutered male boxer and a grey labmix. Sammy (my little pitt) is almost two years old now. I just feel overwhelmed by the amount of exercise he needs. He recently snuck under a fence while on a run and pinned down a neighbors dog (labrodoodle). She's freaking out threatening to sue me. I need advice/guidance. I have a bad knee right now so I'm not really able to walk Sam. I don't think I am going to be able to let him off leash in the same spot he snuck under the fence. Thats how I exhausted him on a regular basis with fetch.
My boxers have pinned dogs down on occasion but the other owners were more understanding usually in a dog park or something. I've read about back packs and am considering a treadmill too. I;m trying not to be emotional with my neighbor freaking out on me trying to figure how to curtail his energy.
I'm amazed by his athletic abilty :) Also he's wicked smart. I'm not giving up people are suggesting I find him a new home. i'm in for the long haul. I just want to feel better able to handle him..........suggestions?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum!There's a ton of knowledge here.Read away!:)

My first suggestion is to fix the fence where he got out so he can't do it again.Did he cause any damage to the labradoodle?
Next,the dog park is a no no with this breed.They may not start a fight with another dog there but they sure will finish it.And that just puts this breed in all the wrong light with the public.
As far as exersice you could get a tread mill and do that since you can't walk him.There's also flirt pole,spring pole,or you could just do something as simple as fetch.It would help more to know what all he's interested in first.
Welcome again and we love pics here!:woof:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My neighbor is still way too upset I think to even go over to fix the fence that was my first thought. Our yards back up to a Quaker Meeting House which is fenced but not locked I may need to get their permission to put cinder blocks up against her fence bc it's on their side i would need to fix. I will do that as soon as she chills out. Thanks for the replies guys.
Sam is interested in running and fetching. Wrestling with Chip my boxer. Sam is just the sweetest dog. I believe he is mixed with Sharpie as his tongue has black on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No damage done to the labradoodle just damage to Sammy's reputation. According to her he's vicious. I know she's upset but establishing dominance is not that uncommon. :(

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
well if there's no damage then she can't sue you.

And just an fyi here,be careful with sammy wrestling with your other dogs.Watch it closely and be prepared if it should break out into a fight.I would invest in a breakstick,it's better to be safe then sorry.even though he's a mix he still may have DA (dog aggresion) pop up at some point.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
yah know clint i think thats the one...

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Welcome to GP. First off getting that whole fixed is important. Wood fence of chain link?

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
welcome to GP :D luv to see pics of your guy.. theres lot to learn here and man many forms of excercise

·
Registered
798 Posts
My advice in what I some times to is get a long cable and use it as a leash. Mostly one that is longer then any angle of your yard, that way your not pulled any where. If you put tries to make a escape then you just reel the pup in, like a fishing line.
Just bring out a chair and ball and let your pup go to town, with feeling ok! If your bad at throwing there are toys that help you throw farther

EDIT
I would also invest in some crates and break sticks. Get your dog use to crate training, just in case one day you will need it. Also its probably best you dont leave them home alone roaming the house together. Better safe then sorry

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I am for the treadmill, especially when it starts to get colder I put my pup on it for like 20 minutes at a time. Its real old and I got it from my grandmothers. You don't need an expensive one and there are also threads that tell you how to make one yourself. Good luck and welcome to the group

1 - 16 of 16 Posts