Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had Beastley for over a year. I am the one that works with him, walks, and feeds him. However he sleeps with my husband and stays with him most the time alone unless I am working him etc. because my other dog has DA and I stay in another room with Fat Boy. We try not to leave either one alone. Today, I was sitting on the couch next to my husband and he bent over to kiss me and Beastley jumped up on the couch and head butted me so hard I saw stars. (No growling or biting). We thought it was just an accident so I tried to move closer to my husband and he got in between us and did it again, though he did try to kiss me after head butting me again. My husband thought it was funny that he wouldn't allow me near him. I am perplexed :confused: as to why he is so protective or jealous of me when I am the one to cares for him. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
As long as the dog isn't being very aggressive. I would correct the dog for it and have my husband enforce my status if I'm disobeyed. Make him down stay or leave the room and cuddle away.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
That can lead to possession over your husband and I would not allow it. Put him on leash and if he tires to do that again pop the leash tell him "NO" and take him off the couch. He is not allowed to be possessive like that, it will lead to worse behaviors and possible aggression to get you to back off. Every see the chihuahua who growls when someone tries to sit on the couch? Imagine the same thing but with an pit bull..... not good.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I agree with Performance :goodpost:. I have never allowed dogs on my couch or beds because it can lead to dominance and possession issues.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Now my dogs are all over my bed and couch they just know who's boss. I have never had a dominance issue because we curb that when they are puppies.

If you having an issue them I would limit what the dog has access to till you get this under control.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. What I was wondering was is he testing me as the Alpha? Because I do everything for/with him but sleep. I would think he would of head butted my husband more so then me since I work/feed/walk with him. I can put my hands in his mouth, food, water bowl and take his toys from him with no reaction. Or am I over thinking this and Beastley feels my husband is his personal toy.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
It is important to treat him like a dog not a child. If you treat them like a person you create problems like this. I love my dogs but I treat them like dogs and not my equals. We have rules in the house and I am alpha, my husband not so much but they still respect and listen to him. This is a dominance issue and I am not saying you have to alpha roll him but put rules down and expect him to follow, if he does not listen correct him through the leash. If you were my client this is exactly what I would have you start doing. Also you should enroll in a basic obed class it would be good for both of you.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You may be the one doing all those things for Beastley but I don't think that necessarily makes you the alpha. Maybe like the alphas "helper", you know? My husband does all of those things with our dogs but they still know who is in charge around here and it ain't him! LOL

But, they do respect him and know that they are definitely lower on the totem pole than any member of our family or friends. I think Lisa offered great advice on training and putting any ideas he has about dominating you out of his head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts