Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put VERY high quality fish oil into every bowl of my dog's food. However, it is becoming quite costly. I can get very high quality, organic flax seed oil for a very low price. My question however, is; which is better?

Is one better than the other? Is the difference significant?

Any and all information/opinions are welcome.

Thank you!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Fish Oil vs. Flaxseed Oil

Flaxseed oil contains more Omega-3's than fish oil. However, the Omega-3's in flaxseed oil are in an inactive form (ALA). Special enzymes are required to convert the inactive ALA into the active forms (EPA and DHA). Some animals, especially carnivores like dogs, do not have the required enzymes to do the conversion.

Recent research shows that fish oil has more positive benefits on pets with disease, because the fatty acids contained in fish oil are readily available for use. Particularly, fish oil has positive effects on dogs with inflammatory diseases, such as allergies, arthritis, kidney and heart disease, and cancer. Flaxseed oil does not seem to be as beneficial to dogs with inflammatory diseases.

However, flaxseed oil seems to be anti-cancerous, and is also effective in improving the skin and coat conditions of dogs.

Flaxseed oil can be a dietary source of soluble fiber. Increasing soluble fiber in the diet can help counter tendencies to constipation.

Fish oil, therefore, is the preferred fatty acid supplement for dogs with inflammatory diseases. Flaxseed oil can be used to improve skin and coat conditions, and to counter constipation and perhaps inhibit cancer growth.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that was far more informative than expected. Thank you so much. I think what I'll do is... put flax seed oil into her food for one meal, and fish oil for another. This way, she gets a healthy dose of both, thereby making her even healthier than before. Thank you for the information!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
No prob! Glad to help :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
i talked to my vet about this he told me that the dog needs both a organic plant oil and an animal oil, so i just mix olive oil and fishoil and just put a tad in the food and mix it around and has drastically improved one of my dogs with dry skin .

·
Registered
45 Posts
i talked to my vet about this he told me that the dog needs both a organic plant oil and an animal oil, so i just mix olive oil and fishoil and just put a tad in the food and mix it around and has drastically improved one of my dogs with dry skin .
fish oil is rancid same with most plant oils. the only plant oil that isn't rancid is clary sage seed oil (2 years tested at 120 plus degrees in direct sunlight) and that is way too expensive for most people's dogs. if you feed a wide variety of raw meaty bones (frozen fish, beef, goat, rabbit, venison, chicken, turkey, etc) with 10-15 percent organ meat your dogs fatty acid needs will more than be covered.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
fish oil is rancid same with most plant oils. the only plant oil that isn't rancid is clary sage seed oil (2 years tested at 120 plus degrees in direct sunlight) and that is way too expensive for most people's dogs. if you feed a wide variety of raw meaty bones (frozen fish, beef, goat, rabbit, venison, chicken, turkey, etc) with 10-15 percent organ meat your dogs fatty acid needs will more than be covered.
Fish oil rancid ? That's news to me....please elaborate on what you mean by that considering most people use fish oil as a supplement. I buy only from natural shops where the fish is tested and I also buy sardine/anchovy oil because where they are such a short lived fish that they have very little if any at all mercury built up in there system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fish oil rancid ? That's news to me....please elaborate on what you mean by that considering most people use fish oil as a supplement. I buy only from natural shops where the fish is tested and I also buy sardine/anchovy oil because where they are such a short lived fish that they have very little if any at all mercury built up in there system.
the omega 3's break apart releasing free radicals even before they reach the bottle. once they process them into oils they are completely rancid. fish have omega 3's in cold water. flaxseed oil, chia oil, and krill oil are in the same boat. besides being rancid fish oil causes the build up of arachidonic acid. arachidonic acid causes inflammation and premature aging.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the omega 3's break apart releasing free radicals even before they reach the bottle. once they process them into oils they are completely rancid. fish have omega 3's in cold water. flaxseed oil, chia oil, and krill oil are in the same boat. besides being rancid fish oil causes the build up of arachidonic acid. arachidonic acid causes inflammation and premature aging.
I gotta be honest, I've never heard anything like this before in my life. Fish oil is considered a staple for people who go above and beyond for their dog(s) because of it's incredible health benefits. These benefits more than extend to humans as well. Flax seed, because it has ALA, which fish doesn't, is also an incredibly valuable supplement for dogs. "Rancid" doesn't mean too much in this case. It's like saying yogurt is bad because it's "spoiled" milk.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I gotta be honest, I've never heard anything like this before in my life. Fish oil is considered a staple for people who go above and beyond for their dog(s) because of it's incredible health benefits. These benefits more than extend to humans as well. Flax seed, because it has ALA, which fish doesn't, is also an incredibly valuable supplement for dogs. "Rancid" doesn't mean too much in this case. It's like saying yogurt is bad because it's "spoiled" milk.
yogurt....is milk. milk is the hands down worse thing people can eat. ever heard of casein? the whole reason omega 3's are good is because they have less double bonds than omega 6. people who think they are doing well with fish oil will find out sooner or later. the omega 3's are only good while the fish is in cold water. i want every year possible. believe what you want. the real solution for fish oils is in frozen fish. at first flaxseed seems like it is doing great things but after a while those taking flaxseed oil to long have skin problems and some peoples skin actually peels/easily scraped off.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Versatile .....I respect your opinion but I'm not taking your word as factual info. do you have any literature to back up what your saying? Do you not drink milk? I mean that's insane that all mammals pretty much are raised on milk as babies and yet your saying its the worst thing for us to drink. I love milk but only drink skim and I have several glasses most days mainly for breakfast . I'd love to see proof on why its so bad as well as why omegas for us and dogs are no good.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Versatile .....I respect your opinion but I'm not taking your word as factual info. do you have any literature to back up what your saying? Do you not drink milk? I mean that's insane that all mammals pretty much are raised on milk as babies and yet your saying its the worst thing for us to drink. I love milk but only drink skim and I have several glasses most days mainly for breakfast . I'd love to see proof on why its so bad as well as why omegas for us and dogs are no good.
no way i drink milk. milk is pus and fat. a human is meant to grow up in 17-25 years. a cow grows in less than 2 years. milk is highly acidic and turns the cell acidic. this produces mucus. meat and dairy are the major sources of mucus in humans. acid/mucus is the cause of heart disease and almost every disease known to man. milk is the reason most kids get cavities and women get osteoporosis. to process milk and meat you have to piss out calcium. you know milk is bad...the usda/fda recommends it.

i don't have proof of the fish oil rancidity. i shouldn't have said fish oil increases arachidonic acid because that was inaccurate. i was mixing up flaxseed oil with fish oil. fish oil suppresses the immune system in high doses and i am certain of that one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Milk definitely isn't too healthy, but it is far from the "worst" thing we can eat. You also might want to specify the fact that the ONLY reason why it is so bad is because 1 - the hormones given to the cows are passed into the milk, and 2 - we are the only animal on earth that eats/drinks another animals milk. If you were to try to argue that truly organic milk is a terribly unhealthy thing to consume, you'd be scrambling for information to back it up.

Back to the real subject though, fish oil and flax seed oil's health benefits are not opinions - they are 100% factual and proven.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Milk is healthy unless your drinking whole fat milk......I drink organic skim milk or hood milk. Most of the milks specify that they are hormone free these days.
I agree with you Nybluenose on the proven health benefits of fish and flax. I never read a health book that said to stay away from it because its rancid. I would like to see factual info on that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Milk is healthy unless your drinking whole fat milk......I drink organic skim milk or hood milk. Most of the milks specify that they are hormone free these days.
I agree with you Nybluenose on the proven health benefits of fish and flax. I never read a health book that said to stay away from it because its rancid. I would like to see factual info on that.
skim milk is worse for you than whole milk. they raise the protein content by adding dried milk to it. the reason the dairy industry pumps the skim/low fat milk on you is because they know people are trying to be healthy and they can use the cream to make more dairy products. dairy in no shape or form is ok. the kill the babies for veal and make the cows live their lives in cramped quarters, fed grain, pumped full of antibiotics and hormones for more milk production. that's where we're getting all the effeminate males you see nowadays.
:clap:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No offense man, but I actually just laughed out loud at that one. All of these things can easily be researched. If there was dried milk and protein added to it and it wasn't on the label, the company would be immediately sued. Not to mention....it wouldn't pass FDA standards and they would cap them for false advertisement.

·
Super Moderator
4,595 Posts
skim milk is worse for you than whole milk. they raise the protein content by adding dried milk to it. the reason the dairy industry pumps the skim/low fat milk on you is because they know people are trying to be healthy and they can use the cream to make more dairy products. dairy in no shape or form is ok. the kill the babies for veal and make the cows live their lives in cramped quarters, fed grain, pumped full of antibiotics and hormones for more milk production. that's where we're getting all the effeminate males you see nowadays.
:clap:
My brother and I don't even like milk.
If you can't produce scientific proof of these allegations, perhaps you should stand down.

I was just reading along and then all of a sudden gay people come from drinking milk. WTH! Talk about left field.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts