Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Good with tools
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fact that the shelter system is overwhelmed with pitbulls is creating a placement dilemma. Too often the dogs are adopted out to people who are not experienced with the breed and are left to fate to make it work. A shelter staff members every mention of a certain dog is taken as gospel to a potential adopter. The term "plays well with other dogs" can mean a death sentence for some poor dog in the adopters future. Im always being scrutinized for denying placements even though I have over 1000 under my belt with only 2 failures. Often the need to place dogs properly is overlooked for the sake of getting them out of the system.
Satrday night, Dan will discuss this on the PitbullPositive show on Ustream. I would like to see as many of us in the show chat as posible. Lauren has posted the show blurb here http://www.gopitbull.com/pitbullpos...ow-saturday-january-15-2010-a.html#post390852

As always, we will be giving away free vip passes in the chatroom during the show. Make sure you register with U stream to join the chat

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
his is an excellent topic.

Bruno was my first pitty,and the shelter didn't tell me beans on this breed. I was told he was a dog friendly/cat friendly guy.

Well,that changed once he his about 2 1/2. Now he is dog selective,and if the cat gets near his food,well...l wont be letting that happen again.

If it wasn't for this website. I would have stayed a dog park attending irresponsible owner.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Should make for a very good show.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I rescued my first pit bull almost 10 years ago, I was told by numerous vets, trainers, rescues, and websites that I needed to take her to the dog park daily. She was 2 years old and animal control said she was rescued from dog fighters. Luckily, every time I took her to the dog park I got really nervous and ended up just walking her around it and never actually got inside. I soon realized she was extremely female dog aggressive. Thinking back on it now I cringe thinking about what would have most likely happened if I had taken her inside there. That's why it's so important to me that my rescue is up front about the breed traits. We also have an extensive application to see how breed savvy potential adopters are. We also have in our adoption contract that they can never take the dog to a dog park. People get so mad at animal controls that won't adopt pit bulls out to the public but it's because they realize they don't have the time to screen potential owners. Irresponsible owners are the ones to blame for BSL.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sounds like a great topic and I wish I could make the show.

Whether I can or not I wanted to put in a good word for the Western PA Humane Society. When we filled out an adoption application for Maggie we were quizzed about our knowledge of the breed, our willingness to learn more, were obligated to bring her to six free obedience classes that were specifically geared towards bully breeds, and asked about other pets in our home, routines, equipment, etc, etc.

We were asked if we rented or owned and when I said we owned the coordinator took our address off the app and looked up the tax records online, right in front of us to make sure it was in our name and we were being truthful.

We were also supposed to have a home visit before being allowed to take her home, but they were overwhelmed schedule-wise and we kept coming back to visit Maggie, and kennel space was getting tight so they made an exception and let us take her.

That was our personal experience and I thought they did a terrific job of trying to let us know what we were in for without scaring us off and were totally supportive afterwards by providing the free and mandatory classes.

·
Registered
962 Posts
This is great topic...

I sadly am at the bad guy side of this. I work at a shelter that rarely does home checks or anything besides a person filling out an adoption agreement and paying for the dog (which covers thier spay/neuter, rabies and license).
we are more wary of adopters when it comes to pit bulls and certain other breeds. if we get a bad feeling we politely talk them out of a certain dog, i have even straight denied a person a dog (kid was maybe nineteen and went straight for the biggest, meanest looking dog, red flag. then he went on to ask how the dog would do in the back of a truck as he was taking off to his home 150 miles away straight from the shelter. another red flag, why doesn't he rescue a dog from his home town? then he tried talking us down on the adoption price and didn't seem worried about the medical care this dog needed, (the dog had entropion and needed surgery). we finally just started ignoring him and he went on his way.
It is hard, as we are a kill shelter and for every dog in our adoption kennels for long periods it could be many good dogs put down because we didn't have the room. once we put a dog up for adoption we will keep them until they find a home unless they go "sideways" (most dogs only do so well for so long in a kennel situation before they start having behavioral issues).
we do work with the humane society in Medford and others in our area when we become full, and many times they are able to take some dogs to thier facilities where they have much better adoption procedures and rates. we also try to contact rescues but sadly many are very specific that the animal is pure bred and when a stray comes to us we really just don't know.
we also sadly have many dogs returned to us after adoption because of the lack of screening, which is heartbreaking.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
This sounds very interesting. Would someone please explain how it works (I don't know anything about chat or Ustream)

Thanks

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
sounds great, this is def a topic that needs to be had!!! goodpost RD

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
This is a big pet peeve of mine. The two shelters in my area will even go so far as to say the dog is anyother breed but Pitbull so that people will adopt them and then the person is in for a shock of their lives when all heck breaks loose because they were unperpared for a Pitbull.

·
Good with tools
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This sounds very interesting. Would someone please explain how it works (I don't know anything about chat or Ustream)

Thanks
Pit Bull Positive Show on USTREAM: The Pit Bull Positive Show is a show aimed at promoting responsible ownership and improving the image of the American Pi...

heres the link for the show. login or sign up. then clik the red "chat" link right next to the red "social stream" link on the right side. the show will load by itself at start time. if you still have problems, I have a few visitor accounts there that you can use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts