Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took fletcher to the vets to day for pre surgery tests blood work shots that the shelter did not give him.he is geting fixed soon.he did good.
But iam the one who needed the doc it was almost 500 dollars.
And they gave me a once a month dewormer.that was big bucks.
And they gave me stuff for fleas and tics in the summer.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Sometimes it is wise to shop around at vets, mostly its you get what you pay for but there are many exceptions to that, with those that overcharge, or even location (more bills = more $ needed. Do some research :)

Dewormer shouldn't be very expensive, vets and even farmer co-ops carry it, pet stores and Tractor supply also,,

What did they give you for the fleas?

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I'm guessing it's heartworm. That's what I give every month. In my state you need a prescription so I get the vet to send it to me and but them online they the cheaper. Totally sucks. You can look into monthly insurance. It's about $20-$30 depending on what kind of coverage you want and the deductible.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Wow that is a lot! Is this an older dog? If under 5 years they usually don't do bloodwork. Hmmm... I understand doing a heartworm test but that is like $35... Anyway, sorry to hear it cost so much. I personally would skip all those dewormers...a once a month dewormer sounds like they gave your triflexis which is known to have killed dogs :(
And then if you live in an area that is high risk for heartworm in the warm months then just give heartworm pills in the warm months. And flea/tick meds....well, I don't use those either as they are poison lol! I just prefer to take a more natural approach and it turns out to be much cheaper.
Just trying to help you save money! I fostered a shelter dog recenty and it was $50 for a exam and spay surgery.... That is kind of weird that the shelter didnt give you an exam/shots and neuter voucher...most of them do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts