Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel kinda used now that I realize that I've been wasting my money buying toys for the flirtpole!! And toys are never cheap! Yesterday Rudi got the toy off the end of the flirtpole and she was attempting to destroy it so i put it up high and forgot to take it in with the flirtpole when we were done. Today when I went out to play flirtpole again, it was just the rope and not any toys. The dogs were going bonkers as usual jumping and screaming and acting all ridiculous. So as a joke I was flirting it around with no toy, and they went NUTS! They'd catch the rope and then play some tug of war with it and fling it around.. they had a good ol' time with .. just the rope. My babies are dummies or something!

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Now at least you know you don't have to keep spending a fortune on the toys.

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
I dont put toys on the end of my flirt pole, I might tie a shopping bag to the end every now and then because it moves different and makes the dog change it up a bit but thats about it.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Get some cow hide. You can cut one piece into at least 3 strips. They will last a long time. I don't play tug with the flirt pole. They catch it, I take it away. The spring pole is to let them tug with. If they are destroying toys off the end of the flirt pole it seems it is because you are allowing it to happen. ;)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
How do you get the dogs interestred in the flirtpole to begin with? I haven't found the trigger yet? Also how does one keep from being used as a back board? When my dogs do, they push off on me then jump at the pole. I am not a fan being used as a back board. What do I do...drag it on the ground?

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
How do you get the dogs interestred in the flirtpole to begin with? I haven't found the trigger yet? Also how does one keep from being used as a back board? When my dogs do, they push off on me then jump at the pole. I am not a fan being used as a back board. What do I do...drag it on the ground?
yes you drag it on the ground and the dogs chase it. you keep switching up the direction so that they have to follow and it wares them out good and they love it. Do you by chance have a picture you could share of your flirt pole? it may be too short because the dog generally does not get that close when chasing it.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Some dogs dog not have high enough prey, play, or chase drive to get interested in flirt poles and there is really nothing you can do it make it more interesting to those dogs. For dogs who show interest but not a lot you can try different things like a rabbit skin or cow hide, or maybe a stuffed toy they really like. My new pup shows some interest but not a lot so I am doing it everyday just for like a minute so she does not get board then I put it away and her interest it starting to grow.

Most pits have high prey drive and will chase anything! When my toy breaks off I just use the string and my dogs go nuts too even General loves it. Make sure to switch directions every few times to avoid over tiering one side. Lactic acid builds up and the lead leg the dog is on begins to tire and you want to keep switching side. Also do not turn really sharp you could blow out a knee and no jumping. Keep it low and fast ;)

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
thats all i use is the rope.. just have some knots tied in the end of it

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apparently I was outta the loop! LOL! Rudi LOOOVES the flirt pole, and as far as chewing on the toy, I had tied an already chewed up toy to the rope and my knot came undone and she ran off with the toy.. i am the fail lolz. Belle just likes to thrash rope around... she's weird.... if I just dropped like 10' of rope onto the ground she would probably pee herself in happiness.

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
Apparently I was outta the loop! LOL! Rudi LOOOVES the flirt pole, and as far as chewing on the toy, I had tied an already chewed up toy to the rope and my knot came undone and she ran off with the toy.. i am the fail lolz. Belle just likes to thrash rope around... she's weird.... if I just dropped like 10' of rope onto the ground she would probably pee herself in happiness.
lol thats the way my dog is, now he has a rope obsession. if he sees rope he wants it.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Just walking towards the flirt pole gets a HUGE reaction! If you are able to pick it up and away from any one of them its so on!! Just the rope.. never a toy on the end... cowhide from the springpole though :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts