Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So up have a ten month old right now and I an currently feeding pennicle. I am wanting to switch to orijen but I don't want to change her food too much as I have read that it its not good for them. What my question is... Should I feed the puppy until she is a year old our just go ahead and start feeding the adult formula?? Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
at 10 months you can switch to the adult .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Question, what is honestly the big difference between like puppy food and adult food? Is there a huge nutrition value difference? I have ceasar on puppy chow right now. Should i feed him something different?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Question, what is honestly the big difference between like puppy food and adult food? Is there a huge nutrition value difference? I have ceasar on puppy chow right now. Should i feed him something different?
YES- Purina Puppy chow is BAD! I know we can only feed what we can afford but read labels ( I am not criticizing) just want to see people get good food.

Whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soybean meal, egg and chicken flavor, barley, animal digest, calcium phosphate, fish oil, calcium carbonate, dried yeast, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, added color (Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 2), zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, DL-Methionine, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

what the heck can animal digest contain!!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Normally the puppy food is slightly higher in protein and fat sionce pups are growing alot in that 1st year and need the extra calories. However in the large breed puppy food its a bit lower to control and slow the growth so there arent joint and bone issues caused from growing too fast { not that this breed is considered large} But thats how the vet explained it to us. He had us switch Loki over to adult food about 6-7 months cause he was growing to fast on the puppy food and he was concerned about issues later on, but loki is a freak and not the norm lol. But at 10 months your dog should be fine to start switching to the adult food.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
All of my dogs are fed adult forumal from the start. I have BaWaaJige ( my golden retreiver) on Native active forumal. It is actually higher in protien than the puppy stage. Since I have been working him since he was 8wks old I figure he needed it. Vendetta's food at the time didnt come in puppy forumal.

I think you should find a food that you can afford is available in your area and you shoudl be fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well price really isnt a huge issue. I want the best for my pup. So what would yall suggest i feed him?

@NVEOUS: my appologeez for stealing ur thread. Seemd like a good place instead of starting another thread on a similar subject.

Thanks all for ur input!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Orijen is hands down the best food out there if you have it in your area and dont care about price, however each dog is different and what works great for one may not for the next so its trial and error. Acana is the same company as orijen just a lil cheaper , heard good things about TOTW as well.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Orijen is an excellent quality food, IMO the best food out there and is one of the highest quality feeds out there.. But unless you are heavily working your dog it is pointless to feed such a high protein diet. You will be feeding far less than purina and you will be putting a heavier workload on the kidneys since you will then be feeding 38%+ protein.. I will also say that when you are feeding a high protein diet you need to up the water intake quite a bit to reduce the stress on the kidneys.

Now i personally have fed high protein diets to every hound i've had/have however i have always worked my dogs. I've never had an issue but it all boils down to common sense. If you are looking for a high quality feed Acana is an excellent feed, very similar ingredients as Orijen and made by the same company.. Generally $15 - $30 cheaper than the Orijen line and drops the protein down to 34 - 36% which is still high but ideal IMO.. Better suited for a nonworker.

While everyone wants the best for their hounds keep in mind as well that what works for one may not always work for another.. Some can feed purina an entire dogs life with excellent results..while others within the first few feeding will notice an extreme downgrade in overall appearance and food allergies..

I would recommend a better feed regardless if financially able.. But i wouldn't recommend over 36% for a nonworking dog.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, he is more of a family dog. I do however intend on getting him a harness. Mainly for excercise ourposes.
I greatly appreciate everyones info. Great deal of help. I think acana is probably a better choice for us. Can anyone give me an estimate on what a bag of acana runs and how many lbs in that bag?

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Well, he is more of a family dog. I do however intend on getting him a harness. Mainly for excercise ourposes.
I greatly appreciate everyones info. Great deal of help. I think acana is probably a better choice for us. Can anyone give me an estimate on what a bag of acana runs and how many lbs in that bag?
$49 - $65 depending on your area for 29.7lbs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What feed do you guys rekommend or have had good experiance of for a real old dog with some digestive problems.
He haven`t had any problems when he was younger with any food so I`m pritty sure it`s age related so to speak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts