Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new to the forum (this is my first post) and have my first pitbull puppy. I purchased him from a city about 3 hours from home a week ago today, where he was being fed Diamond dogfood - they sent me home with a little, but we don't have it here so my pit - Kunda, was switched to Wellness Super5Mix for large brred puppies, and he's developed terrible diarrhea after a couple of days on the new diet. Should I hold off feeding him and let his stomach settle, or just push thought with faith that he'll adjust to the new food? He's lost a little weight but seems fine in all other aspects. I'll schedule him for first vet appointment with me soon, but thought I could get a jump-start on helping him here.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hi. I'm new to the forum (this is my first post) and have my first pitbull puppy. I purchased him from a city about 3 hours from home a week ago today, where he was being fed Diamond dogfood - they sent me home with a little, but we don't have it here so my pit - Kunda, was switched to Wellness Super5Mix for large brred puppies, and he's developed terrible diarrhea after a couple of days on the new diet. Should I hold off feeding him and let his stomach settle, or just push thought with faith that he'll adjust to the new food? He's lost a little weight but seems fine in all other aspects. I'll schedule him for first vet appointment with me soon, but thought I could get a jump-start on helping him here.
any time you change a dogs food abruptly you run the risk of the runs.
also hes not a large breed dog , go to regular food.
the proper way to change food is to mix it .. slowly mixing more of the new food over time . i always get enough food from the breeders to do this. i know it doesnt help you much . dont let the pup get dehydrated . i know when i was a kid , we used to mix canned pumpkin in with out dogs food if it got the runs. not pie filling , canned pumpkin.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum :) First, get him off LARGE breed puppy food as "Pit bulls" are not a large breed. I would take it back and just get normal puppy food. To much protein can cause knuckling over in a growing puppy so watch the protein. I would go 22% and no higher than 28%. I have had my girl on adult Blue Buffalo since she was small and she has developed very well. Also get a can of 100% pure canned pumpkin and mix about a heaping tablespoon into it. This will help keep him more regular ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. I'll change his dogfood tomorrow and get him canned pumpkin. Poor guy. Any thoughtd about how long it should take to see a difference?

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Wellness Super 5 is better than Diamond, but the APBT is not a large breed of dog so if he is doing well on the Super 5 then change to something like the Whitefish and Sweet Potato, Chicken, or Lamb and Barley. Finish the bag you have of course, but just remember that for future reference.

The best way to switch a pup's kibble is to start out half and half with the kibble for 3 to 5 days. Add a tablespoon of pumpkin pie filler to each feeding to keep the pup's stool firm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice! I switched to Wellness Super 5 Mix for Puppies with a tablespoon of canned pumpkin on Sunday, and he's doing much better. I cut back a little on the canned pumpkin yesterday and today and will probably only feed him the pumpkin with his morning meal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi - I'm back with another question. My pup is doing fine but, after reading more on this forum I'm confident he's not an APBT, but a Bully. His father was about 90 pounds and he's expected to be a little bigger. The breeders were feeding him Diamond Large Breed for puppies, and I was told to get off the Large Breed formula - since he's Bully and not APBT, should I slowly return him to Large Breed foods? Also, I'm interested in a raw food diet for him - any good books recommended with recipes - especially for Bullies and telling how to switch from dry dog food to raw - and is raw good for puppies?

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
The APBT isn't a large breed dog. They need to be put on a food that is for medium breed dogs. Feeding a med breed dog a large breed food can cause the dog to develop incorretly, due to different nutritrional needs. When picking a food you need to find what works for your dog and your budget. Stick with foods that are grain free(no corn, soy, wheat), stick with foods that have a meat source listed as the main ingredient. Stick with a food that is less than 30 percent protein(just my opinion).

Taste of the wild, blue buffalo, professional, california natural...all good foods. Stay away from mainstream companies such as pedigree, purina, etc etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again, based on what I've read here, my dog is not an APBT, but a Billuy, expected to weigh 90 pounds or more when full frown. Should Bullies, or dogs this big, be fed a large breed diet?

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Even bullies, unless XXXL (or bandogges) aren't a large breed. Stick with regular food.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
APBTs, ASTs, Am Bullies, etc are NOT considered a large breed of dog. Even if they reach 120lbs they are still not considered a large breed. Large breed refers to height and weight ratios and all of those dogs are short compared to a Mastiff or Great Dane.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts