Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, you said you wanted to see some chinchilla pictures, so here they are!! :)

Here is Ricky

This is Dotti

Pearl

Gracie

Chella

Dusty

Midnight

Big Mama

Mickey

Then I have 4 more that are not pictured, 3 I bought and 1 I rescued just recently!
Their names are Violet, Gidget, Jet, and Sugar!

I adore my sweet chinchillas! Just thought I would share my pictures of my little furbies on here! :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I want a black one soooo bad! But I think I'll stick with the Birds. I am over run with Conures right now lol..

·
Banned
2,128 Posts
I love them! If you need help rolling around in them I'll take over. I never new that they had so many colors I only knew about grey ones. They are so cute! Thanks for posting. You are very blessed with cute animals.

I really wanted some diamond doves and zebra finches I had them when I was small. I wonder how they'd do outside? are the chins outside pets? diane jessup has guinea pigs grazing in her yard ... So cool!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, yah I love the black ones, one of the new ones I just got, is a **** Ebony, no white hairs at all!

You know Dan, for some reason, not a day goes by that I get tired of these critters, haha, I just adore them. Thank God my husband puts up with them, lol. I have not really been into birds only because I love the peace and quiet, haha, birds would drive me insane in the house. I don't think I would ever have my chins outside only because they are only supposed to be at temperatures of 75 degrees and under, but not to to cold either. They easily have heat strokes, and also they aren't supposed to be in breezy areas, so I would think the wind up here in Cali would just do them in, lol!

·
Banned
2,128 Posts
none here not wild any way. Man that'd be cool though. What is the country of Origen Peru? They look like a pica (sp) very cute. By the way if she gets gracie I call dibs on midnight.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, well I have none up for sale or adoption, lol, these are my forever lifelong family!! There are such an abundance up here in northern california that alot of ppl are actually giving some away for free!!! Well Dan if I ever meet up with you at a show or something I just might have to sneak a furby with me for you to take home, lol, don't let Grizz have his way with it though. I lab and new collie are just waiting for one to be loose, lol, but Nevaeh, I can actually have her in the room with me when I have the critters running loose for playtime. She lets them pounce around on her.

I am actually working on a chinchilla website because I do own a few pedigreed chinchillas that I do breed. Also I am sure I will get to a point when I will run out of room for adopted chins but I will have an adoption section on my website. It is still a work in progress and will not be finished until I have an official address that I stay at, haha!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yah I named her Dotti because of all the speckles on her ears. She has tons of them so I just decided on the name Dotti, haha.

Yah midnight is awesome, he is what is called a Dark Hetero Ebony! The chinchillas in the wild are the Standard Grey that you mainly see, like Gracie and Ricky above, but any other colors are called mutations. Chinchillas are such an interesting breed of rodent. They are very fun.

·
Premium Member
7,502 Posts
OMG they are so cute!!! I love Midnight.
Is there alot of upkeep w/ those?..like a rabbit i have to clean that cage constantly and her crap stanks!!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OMG they are so cute!!! I love Midnight.
Is there alot of upkeep w/ those?..like a rabbit i have to clean that cage constantly and her crap stanks!!!
You know, actually they are the easiest damn animals I have ever ever owned and they don't stink at all. I use pine bedding (cedar is deadly to them) and I just suck the pine out with a shop vac once every 2 weeks, lol, but the cages that have the pull out tray bottom make it nice and simple. Once to twice a week you give them a dust bath. I buy mine online because it is way way cheaper. I buy my chinchilla feed at a feedstore for $20 for a 25 lb bag which last 3 months for 13 chinchillas, lol.

They sleep all day long and come alive in late evening and at night so that is when I get my alone time with them and I let them out to play! Yes even with 13 chinchillas I have NEVER smelled a bad odor from them at all. The are very very clean animals and seem low maintenance compared to all my other pets. BUT you can never let them get to hot, you can tell when they are hot by the veins in their ears, they get really dark and then the chin can have a heat stroke.

They are really really fun pets though and love to wall surf as I call it. I would highly suggest y'all try one, lol, but once you get one it is hard to stop. They will steal your heart!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Haha, Gracie is such a sweetheart too!! It is so weird they all have such different personalities. Not one is even close to being alike! Do they have lots of chinchillas where you are?
Here in Nebraska no, and not even in a pet store, they would not survive the cool weather here since they are not a native animal. I just saw my first on in a pet store last week and they want almost 200.00 for one and they sell out so fast but when they only get a few in at a time, and then they want over 100.00 for the cheap cage , my daughter has always wanted one I keep looking at the local shelter and in the paper for them maybe I will get lucky someday and get one.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My ball python is drewling as we speak...lol. Cute little rascals but I could never have a "rodent" of any sort crawling on me...lol

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here in Nebraska no, and not even in a pet store, they would not survive the cool weather here since they are not a native animal. I just saw my first on in a pet store last week and they want almost 200.00 for one and they sell out so fast but when they only get a few in at a time, and then they want over 100.00 for the cheap cage , my daughter has always wanted one I keep looking at the local shelter and in the paper for them maybe I will get lucky someday and get one.
Awwww, man your poor daughter, she would absolutely love one. I have gotten all mine for either FREE or under $40, even my pedigreed ones. I think ppl get them here and don't realize they can't be in heat. I am here in northern california and even in jan. and feb. it has been 75 degrees but in the summer it gets rediculous and alot of ppl on have swamp cooler which doesn't do the job therefore they rehome their chinchillas. I am always on the lookout for a chin that needs a new home. I wish you luck and I hope you can find one for your daughter.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My ball python is drewling as we speak...lol. Cute little rascals but I could never have a "rodent" of any sort crawling on me...lol
Haha, well your python can keep on dreaming, lol. Yah they are cute and the funny thing is for some reason they seem more like a bunny than a rodent. My husband can't stand rodents but he gets along great with the chinchillas. Oh and chinchillas don't crawl or walk, haha, they hop. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts