Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to ask for those of us who picked our pup from the litter. How did you decide which pup to choose? Did you go by, color, size, personality. Did you know the in's and out's of selecting a puppy, did you follow them? Just curious.

I didn't know anything about selecting a puppy besides picking the one I wanted based on looks. That is what I did. I ended up with a pretty good dog. If I knew the things I do now, I wouldn't have taken Helena at all. Based on being from a byb, health issues, fear issues. But we all live and learn right? And I'd never take it back that I chose my girl. She is who made me end up researching and learning all that I know.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Actually, I didn't choose by any of those methods, well I guess you can sorta say personality. I always knew I wanted an apbt, even more so after learning about BSL through my friends sister.

With Lex, he was the only puppy out of 15 & the runt! He & I bonded right away & I brought him home the next day. He was my first experience with picking out a dog... I knew enough to stay away from the humane society (based on childhood experience & a dog that didn't fit our family was placed with us among other lies) & I knew enough to stay away from pet stores/puppy mills... But I didn't know enough about BYB's & had no clue a forum existed online about dogs muchless pitbulls. I knew there were car forums through my husband but it never really dawned on me people out there with such passion for animals also existed until I just looked one day when I was struggling with Lex having tummy worms... Although Lex came from a BYB I'd never change the decision I made but won't do it again. He did come from good parents with sound temperments but the breeder could have been a little more responsible. But I guess can't we all...

With Lily it was the breeder who chose based on her personality.

They are both awesome dogs & have their own charecteristics that define them.

So yeah :roll:

·
Registered
135 Posts
The breeder that I used twice made the decisions on which pup goes to whom. I told her of what I expected, and wanted in a pup. It turned out perfectly.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
I pick the one that doesnt start all the sht but the one that finishes.. each litter has a bully(alpha wannabe) and each litter has a dog that is the bully stomper usually female.. shes usually the first pup to me.. psychic connections and :poop: << hahaha.. Seriously.. ^^^^^ this is tide to alpha pack dominance though thought to be bred out of the APBT .. just been purified.. canine in the raw. Females run the show in the wild too.. LOL usually lets the alpha male protect and procreate but hes expendable and replaceable the female alphas are life long and usually out live several male alphas plus they pick the females that can breed to the alpha by not allowing certain wolves to mate with the Alpha male. so its all of that so purified.. that as a litter of a young litter I pick the one that wants nothing more than to be beside you and can finish any ruckus started by any pup in the litter even if at times they end up 3 on 1. Usually those are the more sound dogs I have found and they breaking limit .. cur limit.. is usually non existant.. my experience. SO if the majority of the litter ARE like this.. then pick the head or color you like as it doesnt matter much because the whole litter is a fire hazard.. LOL

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Im not an expert at picking dogs from a litter , when I bought Luna it was a litter of I believe 5 but I wanted a blue and 3 were 2 were blue brindle. then it came donw to markings I love markings and 2 were just pure blue, then just playing with her and i fell inlove { was kinda a fast buy really not a good way to do it but it worked for us we lucked out with her lol} As for cali we picked her out of 16 pups I believe it was 2-3 litters and there was 16 females. We liked her and another female with similar markings { except the other was brindle patches instead of blue} but cali had the attitude she was climbing things trying to get to us and barking at us like mad and just being obnoxiously cute lol. We did leave the breeders without a dog and thought about it and just couldnt get her out of our heads { we didnt actually go there to purchase a pup we went to see the breeder and chat and just look lol} But after not being able to forget this pup we went back late that night like 9pm lol and brought her home.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Im not an expert at picking dogs from a litter , when I bought Luna it was a litter of I believe 5 but I wanted a blue and 3 were 2 were blue brindle. then it came donw to markings I love markings and 2 were just pure blue, then just playing with her and i fell inlove { was kinda a fast buy really not a good way to do it but it worked for us we lucked out with her lol} As for cali we picked her out of 16 pups I believe it was 2-3 litters and there was 16 females. We liked her and another female with similar markings { except the other was brindle patches instead of blue} but cali had the attitude she was climbing things trying to get to us and barking at us like mad and just being obnoxiously cute lol. We did leave the breeders without a dog and thought about it and just couldnt get her out of our heads { we didnt actually go there to purchase a pup we went to see the breeder and chat and just look lol} But after not being able to forget this pup we went back late that night like 9pm lol and brought her home.
Then we bought her mom a few months later LOL.Crush got sent up from our friend down back home in cali.He was supposed to be a female but there was complications after birth and he was the biggest pup and only to survive.He was gonna keep crush if we didnt take him.We couldn't be more happy with him but he is a lil bit of a firecracker since he had no siblings,but were workin through it.It was only a plus he was a color we like,and that his dad and gramps are.Now Loki... i just sorta let him follow me home... LOL :pupruns::thumbsup:

·
Registered
546 Posts
I had no idea what color of dog I wanted when I went to pick out my pups. They just caught my attention. With Leo we actually had originally wanted his brother because he looked so sharp but once we went to go look at the pups we fell in love with his personality. When I first met him he fell asleep in my arms and if I put him down he cried. I knew from that day that he would forever be a mama's boy. With Lily I was extremely uneducated about color and the breed and that is why we got an apbt/bully mix with blue eyes and white fur...pretty much a terrible decision especially in supporting byb :/ but I got her because she just was the sweetest & most beautiful baby I had ever seen and I could not resist her. She was too young to tell her personality at the time.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
I agree with FH! I have two im Gracies litter that mind their own biz unless the biz comes to them, then they lay the smackdown haha.
The girl is a little biarch, shes the instigator (sp)

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since Helena came from a friend's breeding. I did get the chance to interact with her before she went home with me. I picked her out at 2 days old. She had to leave her litter at 4 1/2 weeks but that is a whole other story. But she was the only female out of 4 and she was the boss. She took her bigger brothers down. haha My friend told me she was also the first to bark. She's bossy.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
I was signed up for 3rd pick female before the litter was born. Well, only 2 were born, both pieds. The 2nd pick pulled out, so I basically got the female that the breeder didn't want. However... I had my eye on Indie from her birth. In the videos I watched, she was the baddest lil b*tch in the litter, and loved dragging her brothers around by their necks. I also loved her structure. I prayed the breeder would pick her sis.. and sure enough.. I got my indie! She still drags dogs around by their scruff, and is generally crazier than her sis, so... I chose right! :D

With Zephyr, I produced him before I knew better.. and I kept the quietest, laziest pup in the litter. He's crazy prey-driven, but otherwise is a laid back contrast to his mom.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
The breeder that I used twice made the decisions on which pup goes to whom. I told her of what I expected, and wanted in a pup. It turned out perfectly.
That's pretty much my story too. For Nitro, all I said was that I wanted a male out of a specific sire on their yard. We ended up getting the biggest dog they've ever bred and the biggest stafford I've ever seen.

With Roxy, we were limited to a female (the breeders won't sell two same sex dogs to the same people) and at the time we were showing so we got the female pick of that litter with the intention of champing her out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
when i first picked my dog i didnt know anything about puppy test and all that stuff yet. When I picked my dog ziggy from the breeder they were in the process of paper training the pups and i seen her litter peeing on the carpet untill i saw this one pupp go to the paper and pee. right then and there i knew he was the one. now 14 weeks later he turned out to be the best dog for my lifestyle considering that I have a little girl in the house and a elderly person.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Maggie was the runt, but the most outgoing, the most dominant of the nine dogs. When I got there the breeder said she was trouble, the first dog to climb the pen, the first to eat solid food and the first to start roaming. I loved her little confident self the minute I saw her, since I'm a gamedog lover but wanted a slower version in my older age. This little blue show dog was Hot as a 10 week old, clawing up my wifes back as she tried to get to an Am Bulldog who was threatening her. If you spend an hour with the pups, you'll find one that suits your personality. Funny how I gravitated to the more aggressive one, and looks never came into play. Runt or not, she stuck out to me like there were no other pups around.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i got Dre and Daisy after they were a year old already.. i got Diesel at 9 weeks.. there were 2 males to choose from.. 1 black brindle(diesel) and one white w/ blue brindle patches.. always been a fan of black brindle so thats why i went with it Diesel was also the runt

·
Registered
471 Posts
cant lie .. I saw Izzos markings and wanted her so bad . Then when they all started walking she was the 1st pup to actually come up to me , thats when I knew she was ment to be mine .. =D

·
Registered
225 Posts
I picked my male from a litter of 8 without really knowing about how to evaluate puppies, he was cute and the most independent of his mother. I liked his fearlessness, but I wasn't really thinking about him growing up to be a dominant type animal, which he is, he's a handful. I enjoy him, and wouldn't trade him for another...he's got quite a little personality...but...if I had it to do again... I'd choose a lower energy, more submissive dog.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I had a few to pick from I spent a day with the pup's and played with them looked them over watched how they interacted with each other. Bogart was the bully of the bunch and I always like those feisty trouble makers Bogart was very out going and very active not to mention he was red! I knew he was the one after he pee'd on my hand lmao!!! I honestly don't believe you can tell how a pup is going to be without spending any great deal of time with them and watching them grow. Pup's change so much month by month. Once they get closer to 2 you can get a better perspective of their temperament and drive levels. But there really is no special sauce to picking a pup not much you can tell when they are that young. JMO

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
My red boy Phoenix (RIP) was a gift to me from the ex for x-mas, told him I wanted a rednose, red dog with papers and that's what I got, lol. Now Penny (RIP) was produced by me and was the last pup in the litter, we had had no intentions of keeping a pup, but when she got parvo from two of her littermates that went to a vet tech, lol, we bonded and then her epilepsy on top of it. Orion was also produced by me, was a total oops litter, but he was the best dog, still is, and I got him back cause the guy who had him couldn't take care of him.

When I do pick out a pup, I ask the breeder who their choice would be and I look at overall everything, attitude, color, size, teeth, how they interact with ppl and their littermates. I am a male dog person so I tend to go with the one that has as much attitude as I do, lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts