Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a random some questions I had. I don't know if I am just over thinking things. I am about to leave in a few months for 9 months my brother in Florida will be watching Blitz while I am gone. I am already going down there for a month to get him used to the surroundings and the weather difference. All his medical information will be down there also. So I'm covered on that point and my brother has an a Bully as well so he will have a play buddy (Sort of). My Question is will over the course of 9 months will my dog forget me when I return? Have had him since he was 8 weeks old. And second question how hard is it to introduce two unaltered males? I usually do my home work on everything but just wanted some opinions if any on the topic. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
No, if the bond is there between the 2 of you, you will not be forgotten. My friends dog was without him for 2 years and still remembers him. On the other hand, my friend who used to live around here when my boy was a puppy, was still remembered when they come back to visit 2 years later. Just make sure your brother is prepared to crate and rotate with the dogs if they do not get along. How old is your pup? I know you said you have had them since 8 weeks and will be leaving for 9 months, whats the age of your dog?

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Your dog won't forget you after 9 months if your bond is strong.......I'd be more concerned about housing two intact males together that weren't raised together. Even when raised I know many males that once fully mature need to be kept separate because the dominance and testosterone kicks in and aggression turns on. I hope your brother is prepared to deal with two male bullies that most likely will fight and he has a break stick on hand AT ALL TIMES. I would NEVER trust leaving the two of them together. Crate ad rotate will most likely be the case in this situation. How old are the two males??

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
Your dog will not forget you. When I was 18, my parents kicked me out for getting pregnant. Faced with being homeless, pregnant, and with a 6 month old puppy, I asked my Godparents to care for him til I could get on my feet. I moved in with my boyfriend, and we could not afford a rental where we could have a dog over 30 pounds. My Sammy is a Lab/Akita mix and once fully grown, weighed 80 pounds. It was another 3 years of hard work before we got a place where I could bring my boy home. Unfortunately, by that time, I felt it would be cruel to both him and my Godparents to yank him from a home that loved him and took perfect care of him, and my Godparents wanted to keep him. Sammy is now 8 years old.
Every year, when we make our annual trip down to Florida to visit my family, Sammy greets me with an enthusiasm unmatched. He loves my Godparents, but there is no doubt that he remembers me fondly. When I call to talk to my Godparents, they will put me on speakerphone, and he goes nuts trying to find me, and when we are there, he plants himself firmly at my side. 9 months is a long time, but not long enough for your baby to forget you. :)

·
parasite killer
518 Posts
I'm sure your boy will remember you. Back in 2004 we moved to our current home with 3 pit bulls. Neighbors were anti-bulls and called the city on me. We're only allowed 2 adult dogs and a litter of puppys per the city, so we had to rehome one. We chose the newest to our pack Kane...He ended up with my sister in law..perfect for her family. Kane sees us often, he tries to get in our car when we go. He's spoiled rotten sleeping in beds up on couches, stuff he's not allowed to do here, yet almost 8 years later he still remembers...

Good luck with the intact males getting along. Mine are both males and intact, we always have two but one is always introduced as a puppy. My Ice doesn't even like females. My Kaos is a bully and much more laid back then Ice, he doesn't mind other dogs as much. My dogs only fight about 2 things. Food and human attention so I just hope yours doesn't have the short end of the stick with the other being jealous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah he house is already separated off so they shouldn't have problem being in the same house. My boy Blitz is 6 months and Fritz the other dog is 7. But they will most likely not be around each other just to keep it from going on that way. Blitz is very social and out and about. Parks walks he even goes to the open air mall and dog park. Fritz is much more of a stay at home family dog. Doesn't get out much aside from the back yard. So they more than likely will be separated.

·
Banned
118 Posts
No they will not forget you when I deployed to Afghanistan for about a year my dog (a lab at the time) never forgot me he was so excited to see me, and my pittie is way more loyal so i doubt he or she will for get you!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts