Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday someone dropped off a(in my opinion) beautiful pitbull. No he doesnt meet any of the standards for the breed or anything but he has already proven to be a great dog. Ive put up signs for him but I dont think any one is going to claim him since I am 99% sure he was dropped off at our house(most likely because we have other dogs so people often drop their dogs off at our house). Ive bathed him, wormed him, removed all of the ticks off of him, started him on a rationed meal plan with some supplements, and gave him a spot in our yard with fresh water and a dog house. Im thinking about keeping him and possibly doing some weight pull with him after we get him checked out by a vet. He looks like he's around 7 or 8 months(he cant be to much older than my 6 month old puppy).

I thought about taking him to a shelter but I know he wouldn't last anytime here because the only no kill shelter around my house doesn't accept pitbulls because they never get adopted.

So I just wanted to ask you guys if Im doing everything right and if im taking the right steps? Do you guys suggest I do anything? The only problem I see with him right now is he has a high prey drive(I understand he is a stray and it should be expected) and that may cause a problem considering we have a few cats but other than that he doesnt seem to have any other noticeable behavior issues.

And another question I have is if I do decide to weight pull him when he gets older what are some precautions I should take? Is it a good idea?

Thank you for your time, and heres a quick picture I snapped of him today. I decided to name him paco.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
awww he is happy he he found you I am sure! Welcome! Thanks for saving him, I think as long as you call different vets and maybe post a FOUND DOG just to make sure it didn't escape. But if it did and was covered in fleas and ticks and let their dog get free maybe its for the best, so again I am glad the pup found you.

Since you don't know the Specific age, I would just have a vet check the pup out before you do any weight pulling, if you search up top there are a lot of tips and hints on starting and getting pups interested in weight pulling. The prey drive might never leave this pup though, it can be managed but this boy may not get along with all animals. They are a very human loving breed and just need human love and interaction, not really other animals, to strive.

How many other dogs do you have, we love all pictures so feel free to share if you have time :) Paco sure looks like a cutie!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Definitely adorable and AWESOME smile :) Congrats on your new addition, the ones that "choose us" always seem to be the best dogs :)

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,563 Posts
thats very awesome of u to take him in like that. hes so skinny... why do people do that to these poor dogs. IMHO just love him, feed him and train him. Im sure there are others here that have a more formal suggestion. lol @ Paco. cute :D

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
He's a pretty pup!! I'd definitely take him in for a vet check.. just let him get used to you and you to him before you think about weightpulling it anything like that.. Congrats! :D

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
He's very handsome :)
Get him healthy and a healthier weight before you start training for Weight Pull, and he can't pull anything really heavy until he is at least 2-- to give his body enough time to fully develop.
He looks like a happy guy! Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies:)
He will be taking a trip to the vet tomorrow so I will update yall tomorrow.
And as far as weight pulling goes I think ill just wait until sometime next year and work on some obedience training for now.

Again thank you all:)

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Laws concerning the 'proper' steps to take before you can claim ownership vary by where you live. Here, for instance, you do need to post flyers, post an ad (usually free) and make a 'reasonable' attempt' to find the owners, and scan for a chip. Those steps. though, are needed because I'm a rescue, may not be needed for an individual (though if you do those things, you have great legal legs to stand on if his former owners pop up in the future)

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
From the looks of the dog his "formal owners" if any were pieces of shit;
I'm glad he found a new home & I agree that the dogs that pick you are the best.

He has potential for sure, he is a pretty handsome fella!
Just feed him good, love him, and work on some obiedience as you stated until he is old enough to weight pull. :)

Do you have prior experience with the breed?

·
Premium Member
5,098 Posts
What a handsome dude (not biased at all towards red/white bulldogs ;)). Glad he found you - by the smile on his face i would say he's happy to be home with you. Keep us posted on what the vet says. Can't wait to see him a little more filled out!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I suggest you keep him because your probably already attached lol I know I would be. He is handsome. If you don't want to keep him then I would try sending him to a pitbull rescue or no kill shelter that picks dogs up. I know many in my state that will transport animals from different states and etc. Bad thing is though pitbulls don't get adopted fast in shelters. The shelter I adopt from always has pitbulls and more come in than go out. They usually say they are bulldogs just to give them a chance but even then people will say a purebred bulldog is a pit and not take it. Sad really.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We took him to the vet and the vet was shocked at how healthy he was considering his condition. No parasites, broken bones, or any internal problems(heart worms was a big concern but his test came out clean) The vet told me to keep him on a good diet and he should be back in great condition in a few months. We have posted a few lost dog ads around so far no one has called.

If no one comes forward we will definitely be keeping him. He is such a character! Im already attached.

And for those that asked I am familiar with the breed. We used to breed them until we switched to American Bullies. And currently we have 9 other dogs. We are keeping Paco away from them for now(even though he hasnt showed any dog aggression we dont want to risk an accidental fight or anything)

And Paco is incredibly smart, he has already learned sit. Didnt take long at all for him to catch on. But one other concern I have is he has started nipping. Not in an aggresive way but just like playful nips and he doesnt bite he just sticks your hand in his mouth and closes it a little. Im worried it might turn into a more serious problem. Any suggestions on how I can stop this?

·
Registered
962 Posts
As for the stray to ownership, definitely do like "Kingsgurl" said, exhaust all means, that way when his crappy owners see him all healthy and happy in a month or two you can prove you did your best. also keep pictures of how you found him and also write down exactly where and when he showed up.

For the "nipping/mouthing", teach him now it is unacceptable, you don't want it to go any longer and risk getting worse.
My dad was an old school guy who taught us kids the ole "two finger bonk the snout with a loud OW! or NO!", but in todays age people may frown.
"Ignore" technique is also something that works but not always if you have children or a short attention span. anytime he nips just turn away and ignore him, some dogs get it in a few tries, others take a while.

I have been trying something new with a couple dogs at the shelter to help curb some bad behaviors. I am doing a "touch" command. i hold a smelly high value treat in my fist and when they nicely touch said fist with their nose, not teeth or mouth, they get the treat. So far working really well with jumpers because it gets their attention and helps the "hard mouths" learn to take treats nicely. Knuckles take wear but, may be something to try to stop the nipping. Work with him while he's calm and get the idea down so that when he starts getting excited (likely when he gets nippy) you can give the "touch" command and redirect. Just an idea, no proof it will work :)

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Once you have posted the ad and flyers with no response (my ads are VERY generic "found dog, male, brown and white' (if someone really cared about him and was looking, they would call every ad that MIGHT be him, I also avoid putting pit bull anywhere in the ad) take him back to the vet and chip him under your name. Establish vet care records under your name.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts