Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm starting this new diet for my self, using vegetables and fruit juices only. Made from real fruit n veggie on a Juicer.
I'm wondering if I could use the mushy left over extract in the dog's food? Like celery, apples, carrots, cucumbers.
Just wondering, cause I rather give it to them then throw it away, especially if they would benefit from it
Any advise is welcomed!

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
If you puree them then they will be beneficial. Dogs cant break down cellulose unless it is pureed. Avoid celery though; it not only lacks beneficial nutrition for dogs, but people too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
When I get fresh broccoli I always give the leftover stalk to Loki not really for nutrition just because he likes munching on it..

It isn't harmful to let him have it not pureed is it? he just loves that crunch!

·
Registered
420 Posts
DO NOT GIVE GRAPES, RAISINS, OR PRUNES... Please do some more research on which fruits and vegetables you can give... im sure if you do a search here you will find something..

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
When I get fresh broccoli I always give the leftover stalk to Loki not really for nutrition just because he likes munching on it..

It isn't harmful to let him have it not pureed is it? he just loves that crunch!
Not harmful just not beneficial if you're looking for him to get the vitamins in them, but it sounds like that doesn't matter. Happy crunching, Lokie!

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
i got a question if your juicing for nutrients then why would the remaining contents be that beneficial or vise versa? but yah i realize that you'd rather utilized it than toss it. personally if it doesnt have nutritional value i wouldnt give it to them in a large quantity(depends on how much your juicing at once and how often you do it) just be aware of what your juicing and what its effects on the dog like roe said grapes rasins, ect

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Now if you had chickens they would love the left overs! lol That is the first thing I thought of, my chickens love left overs of any sort. Yes be careful what you give you dog not all things are good for them. Juice turns to sugar and remember that for people too, while it tastes great too much is just sugar.
I give this out in my puppy classes it has some food to avoid.

10 foods dogs should never eat

As a dog owner, we all want what's best for our dog. With the newest reports about the proper diet for your dog, they should have carbohydrates, vegetables, etc., more and more dog owners are giving their dog table scraps without realizing that there are certain foods a dog should never have. Before you put your left-overs in your dog's bowl be sure to read the top ten foods they shouldn't eat.
1. Chocolate - To dogs, chocolate acts as a stimulant, making your dog's heartbeat accelerate or beat irregularly, leading to seizures and even cardiac arrest. To compound things further, it also acts as a severe diuretic, causing frequent urination, vomiting, and/or diarrhea. If you even suspect your dog has consumed chocolate, take him to an animal hospital immediately.
2. Grapes and Raisins - Grapes and raisins create havoc with your dog's kidneys and digestive system. What's worse is that the amount of grapes needed to cause problems can vary greatly among individual dogs. Symptoms include frequent urination, vomiting, and diarrhea.
3. Onions - Onions cause the breakdown of a dog's red blood cells, which deprives his cells of much-needed oxygen. If you're in the habit of feeding your dog table scraps, make sure the dish was not prepared with onions, as the effects can be cumulative over a period of time. Symptoms can vary greatly, ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to loss of appetite, fever, or exhaustion.
4. Macadamia Nuts - While the exact chemical compound is still unknown, even a small amount of macadamia nuts can cause fever, irregular heartbeat, seizures, or mild paralysis.
5. Alcoholic Beverages - Dogs' physiologies are not equipped to handle alcohol consumption. They are extremely susceptible to alcohol poisoning, and even small amounts can lead to digestive problems or even death.
6. Bread Dough - Because it is soft, dogs will often swallow the dough without chewing it. When the dough hits your dog's stomach, his body heat will cause the dough to rise inside his stomach. This rising action can cause bloating or vomiting. To compound things further, the rising action creates alcohol as a by-product, and your dog may experience the symptoms listed in the previous paragraph.
7. Caffeinated Beverages - Similar to the effects of chocolate, caffeine is a stimulant and can negatively impact your dog's heart rate, causing seizures or heart attacks.
8. Avocadoes- Avocadoes are toxic to many animals. The offensive chemical damages heart, lung, and other essential tissues. Be aware since guacamole's main ingredient is avocado, that you keep any such dips well out of your dog's reach.
9. Pitted Fruits - (Peaches, Pears, Cherries, and Apricots) The pits of these fruits contain small doses of cyanide, which can be fatal to smaller dogs. Also, if the pit is swallowed whole, it may become lodged in the intestinal tract, where the blockage will have to be surgically removed.
10. Raw Fish - Raw fish, especially salmon, can contain parasites, usually fluke larvae. The dog consumes the fish, and the larvae hatch in your dog's digestive tract, attaching themselves to his intestinal walls. Symptoms can take up to a week to exhibit and usually mimic other canine diseases, such as distemper or provirus. The hazard here is misdiagnosis by the veterinarian, leading to an improper or ineffective treatment. If you choose to feed your dog fish, be sure to cook it thoroughly to kill any bad critters that could be hiding inside."

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Ok so I did not know about the pitted fruits, if you remove the pit can they still eat it, we used to call Orion the fruit bat, cause he ate any veggie or fruit you gave him. And I will remember about the avacado as well, is my FAVE thing a fresh one with some salt, lol

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
pk i got a question about Avocadoes. whats so bad about them to you? consumers seem to think since avoderm uses Avocadoes that its ok to give your dog because the oils are good for them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not harmful just not beneficial if you're looking for him to get the vitamins in them, but it sounds like that doesn't matter. Happy crunching, Lokie!
Haha he's nuts. He gets soo excited for them.

Yeah, I've been hearing a lot of places that avocado is actually good for dogs too, which is weird because I always thought they were toxic. I still haven't risked it...

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
pk i got a question about Avocadoes. whats so bad about them to you? consumers seem to think since avoderm uses Avocadoes that its ok to give your dog because the oils are good for them.
from my understanding it is the pits that are toxic. I just always avoid them and I see no reason to risk the health of my dogs and if any one in eating an avocado in my house it's me! lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts