Go Pitbull Forums banner

Frustrated with the possibility of another dog in the house.. (Long rant)

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  bluefamily 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've been on here. I had a 9 week training camp for a big fight. Long story short, I whooped the dude for 5 rounds and won ;) haha

Well anyways.. This is kind of a rant, so bear with me..

I have a cousin who has a friend who is no doubt a backyard breeder. Well he had an 11 pup litter with his 1 year old sire and dam and of course posts it on facebook to sale. I guess my cousin is "helping" him out and posts it on his facebook as well. Now, my folks see cute little puppies and are all about getting a blue female. My pops more that my mom. He's just set on having this little blue female and when I tell him that I don't think it's a good idea because we have Whitman here, he makes excuses that he thinks make it ok.

My pops thinks he knows pit bulls ever since we had our first one. That dog was one of those once in a lifetime dogs that everyone has had or wants, just amazing. GREAT with people, friendly, loving, protective of the family and super smart. He was so awesome but we never had another dog because he was aggressive and got into a fight with a friend's dog once. Why would he want to bring in another when my boy Whitman is very reactive towards other dogs and just might go at a dog at the drop of a dime if given the opportunity? To be honest, I really don't know if Whitman would fight another dog that quick, but if you know me, you would know that I would NEVER take the chance to find out. Now, I'm the first to say that I don't know everything about my breed of choice, but I know a lot. I know that I know more than the average pit bull owner around here, I know more than my pops and I know more than my cousin's friend who bred this litter. I've done nothing but read articles, books and this website up and down again to learn about my dog.

I'm just frustrated that my pops isn't taking my advice as well as my feelings into consideration when dealing about this situation. I don't like that they're getting a dog from a byb (no offense to anyone here at all!!) when there are plenty of great dogs in shelters. They think that because they aren't paying for the dog and getting it for free, that they aren't supporting a byb but they are. I know they can find a nice pup in a shelter if they looked. My pops is one of those people that thinks if you raise a pit bull from puppy hood with other dogs, the dog aggression never comes around. He obviously hasn't heard of "It's not IF they fight, but WHEN they fight" when concerning this breed.

Thanks for reading, I just had to vent.. If you guys know me, you would know that I have all the usual things to tell my pops why we shouldn't get another pit bull. Whitman doesn't need a dog friend when he's potentially DA. I know everything to tell him about the potential difficulties when having to crate and rotate. When it comes down to it, yes, it is his house and if he gets another dog there's nothing I can really do, but I'm not about to be an irresponsible pit bull owner if something were to go down. I need to take care of my boy.

/rant lol

See less See more
#3 ·
that sucks dude sorry your pops is being uncooperative. did you tell him that dog could be a walking vet bill?

looks like your just gonna have to deal with crate and rotate, but he'll figure it out when the first fight breaks out.

#4 · (Edited)
Haven't mentioned the vet bills yet, but I just might have to when talking about the possibilities of a fight happening. I mean, I can be mad at my pops for not listening, but I know if he gets this pup, I'm probably going to be on my toes more than him hahaha.

Kinda sucks when you have family who are the clueless know it alls lol.

Edit: This is for anyone who has introduced another dog into your APBT household. It doesn't have to be APBT to APBT, it could be a different breed you were bringing home.

How did you introduce them? Was it multiple meetings before you brought them in full time or just once?

Now my pops was saying that he thinks it will be fine that he just brings this pup home with my boy Whit here because he will be able to just pick the pup up and carry her around.

I think a better way to introduce them would to be in a neutral place like a park, on leash to see how they react. Maybe walk for a bit to avoid direct contact at first, then maybe see how they would do if they wanted to play. I don't think bringing a strange dog, even if she is a puppy, to the house is a good idea. Whitman sees the house as his territory and even though he would make a crappy guard dog, I have seen him react in a protective way towards disturbances around the perimeter of the fence and house.

#5 ·
Haven't mentioned the vet bills yet, but I just might have to when talking about the possibilities of a fight happening. I mean, I can be mad at my pops for not listening, but I know if he gets this pup, I'm probably going to be on my toes more than him hahaha.

Kinda sucks when you have family who are the clueless know it alls lol.
:goodpost: I would definitely bring up the vet bills... and stress that his dog might get seriously hurt if Whitman reacts.

I have a sister like that... She never listens to anything anyone tries to tell her about dogs. She insists that her dog is a "purebred" pit (when she found it on the side of the road!) and the dog obviously has Greyhound in her. Then she bred her dog to my brothers Boxer while he was out of town (Without his permission) and then tried to sell the puppies as a designer breed.. I think she called them Pixers?
Needless to say, I don't talk to her often. :flush:

Hopefully though, you'll be able to get your dad to listen to you. No one wants a dog to get hurt, or anything.

#6 ·
Edit: This is for anyone who has introduced another dog into your APBT household. It doesn't have to be APBT to APBT, it could be a different breed you were bringing home.

How did you introduce them? Was it multiple meetings before you brought them in full time or just once?

Now my pops was saying that he thinks it will be fine that he just brings this pup home with my boy Whit here because he will be able to just pick the pup up and carry her around.

I think a better way to introduce them would to be in a neutral place like a park, on leash to see how they react. Maybe walk for a bit to avoid direct contact at first, then maybe see how they would do if they wanted to play. I don't think bringing a strange dog, even if she is a puppy, to the house is a good idea. Whitman sees the house as his territory and even though he would make a crappy guard dog, I have seen him react in a protective way towards disturbances around the perimeter of the fence and house.
When we brought Caesar home (He was the adult, Keira was 4 months old), it took a few meetings. C was really dominant, not really aggressive, but he liked to have the upper hand when it came to Keira. We crated Keira and let Caesar small around the house, then when we were ready for a face to face (so to speak), we took both dogs outside. I kept Keira in my lap, and let Caesar approach (LEASHED). He growled a bit, and there were a few spats.. Keira would be playful and growl, and he would flip out and pin her to the ground and lay on her. It took them a good 2 or 3 weeks to really get comfortable with each other. If your dad really does this though, it would be best to find a submissive female in that litter. My friend's friend is a dog trainer, and we ran in to him at Petsmart... he said that we would have more problems with two dominant dogs. But because Keira is so submissive, it was probably easier. I would just go slow. And neutral but comforting, as far as location. I would let him get her scent on a human before introducing and be very very careful!

#8 ·
Aww man that sucks, I can relate. Right now family members are trying to get me to share their backyard bred puppies to friends to get them sold.
(Heck no!)

And my mother is trying to get a new dog, she doesn't pay attention, she thinks beating a dog is the only way to train them (I do not allow her to lay a hand on my dogs, I made that clear) and to make it worse. She wants to get a wolf hybrid or a Pit Bull.:mad: Dakota HATES puppies more than anything, he dislikes other dogs. We already have Alice who is kept in the kennel in garage when I'm not taking her out and working with her. She'd probably keep it in the backyard all day (6 foot fence... hello... one jump and they're gone)

Luckily I was able to convince my grandmother not to allow her to get a dog (she's the home owner)

I hope things bode well :/

#11 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone, I appreciate it very much. We have a family get together today at my aunt and uncle's place and I guess my folks are gonna talk to my cousin about his friend's litter. From what I saw on facebook, they're only about 2 weeks old anyways, so I got some time to really let my folks know what's up.

If they do decide to get a pup, I will make a suggestion about meeting the females first and mention it might be easier to get a submissive one. Then I will go about to suggest introducing the pup to Whit in a neutral setting.

I mean, my folks are really proud of me in that I have become a very responsible pit bull owner that knows a lot, its just that my pops is stubborn haha. I'll do my best not to start any arguments that can get heated, but I just gotta educate them a little with this.

#12 ·
im sorry but i really think you only have 2 more weeks... i bet he'll start rehoming at 4 weeks. but i dont know your cousins friend so i cant say forsure

#13 · (Edited)
Before Bruno and Kush became roomies,my old roomie and I use to walk them together. We did this for about 2 weeks,then let them off leash to see how they did. We had another person with us and a breakstick in case anything happened. When that worked out,we brought Kush into Bruno's territory,I kept a leash on Bruno so I could correct him if need be. He can be territorial. He was for a little while and they had a few scuffles,but no real fights.Then worked it out themselves. But that is just my situation,it will be different with every dog.
I have been pretty lucky so far.

#14 ·
we brought all our dogs home as pups with the exception of pep , when we brought them into the other dogs we introduced them one at a time and was always supervised while palying so the pup wouldnt get hurt even by accident. I found the older ones would submit to the young pup alot and lay down and let the pup climb on them and check them out { not meaning they were submissive to the pup persay they just werent threatened by the pup they were always the boss in there eyes im sure} we did the same when we brought pep home and had brought her home on the grounds that if she didnt click with the pack well we would return her but she has been a great fit since day 1. Now bringing home a pup and having them get along at 1st doesnt mean it will always be that way things can and often do change and you need to be prepared for DA to kick in even if its a mild case it will have an extra work load on you or whoever is caring for the dogs. { we have recently dealt with this issue here with 2 of our "good girls" who we never thought would have issues and have never shown aggression to eachother or other dogs before , will maybe get into this at a later date still processing everything right now} So explain that to your dad and make sure he is aware of issues that can arise later on say 1-2 years later on. Add what all the extra stuff will cost him just in equipment alone , dog crates, dog runs , is the fence safe right now need repairs? added vet bills if something does happen { many with multiple dogs will slip up at some point , especially if the mentality is like your dads where maybe he had a great experience with this breed and takes it for granted on what they are capable of , or just lack of knowledge cause he doesnt know what they are capable of a slip up is possible}
Im glad your thinking it through and trying to educate your dad sometimes its hard for the older member in a conversation to admit when they are wrong or dont want to hear it cause they figure they are older and know more ect ect. Is there anyway to get your dad on this site ? even if he doesnt post of participate he may be able to read some threads and see what is involved and hear our storys and learn a bit from them? Its not a bad thing to want to add another dog but knowing the risks will deff save you heart ache, time and money in the long run.

#15 ·
Since Pops isn't listening, the only thing you can do is maintain your vigilance with Whitman, and where Pops is concerned, speak softly and carry a breakstick! Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.