Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 2 weeks I have been trying to get through to my vet. This is completely unlike our relationship. I am looking to start Immunotherapy with Neela. She is becoming tollerant to the Benadryll and I've ready that the antihistamine and steriod approach to long term treatment causes serious side effects. I am really interested in Immunotherapy. I know there's a possibility she may die from it, but she's misserable right now as it is. This is my last resort. I know it will be expensive, but i'm willing to do what it takes for my Sweet Cheeks. I don't know if i need to go to a hematologist for this therapy or if my vet can do it. My first assumption was to get with my vet and take it from there, but our schedules must be clashing. Where do i start to check into this? I appreciate all of your responses. I tried Googling veterinary immunotherapist, but i haven't found much of anything. I need to get this taken care of within a 100 mile radius of my city.

· Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to try looking them up now! Thanks Patch!

· Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ohhhh neela is a cornicopia of allergies. I've had a blood test ran on her for her allergies and the results were Bahia Grass (I have over an acre of it lol), Cotton (My carpet and furniture) Dust (having dogs and living in the country dust is inevitable... it about kills her when i have to clean the house), house flies (again... southern country), Wheat, Oats, Soy, poultry. Well... those are just the ones i can think of off the top of my head because i don't have the results sitting in front of me. Her symptoms are ITCHYYYYYYYYYYY lol her ears and feet are her biggest problem. She has messed with her ears so bad that she now has open sores on them and they are always blood read with a constant ear infection. She breaks out in hives on her tummy once in a while... we're trying to kick that now, but i can't up the dosage of benadryl anymore unless i want her to OD.

I did get ahold of another vet and they refered me to a vetrinary dermatologist in my area. When I called the dermatologists i was quoted almost $1,200 to get her on track. They explained that it would only be a yearly booster and if she has more flare ups (about 150 a year for a new vial of crap). I thought the immunotherapy was something administered once a week and moved onto monthly... that's cool if they have the technology to make it 3 or 4 visits. The only thing that makes me cringe is that she has to be off of the antihistamines for 2 weeks to get another allergy test ran. I hope she can handle it. The first thing first i guess is to set up a consultation and start fighting off any possible infections.

· Registered
38 Posts
Interesting about the yearly booster. Do you know what lab they work with? Our protocol for immunotherapy is a little different. Daily (5 days) to tolerence, then weekly, bi weekly, etc. I work in a small practice, so have only seen the series completed on 3 dogs but it has been very successful. We just started treatment on a 4th dog about 10 days ago.

As of now the first vial is $250, and follow up vials (if needed) are $190. If it were my dog, I would try a holistic approach first.

· Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pitLess said:
Interesting about the yearly booster. Do you know what lab they work with? Our protocol for immunotherapy is a little different. Daily (5 days) to tolerence, then weekly, bi weekly, etc. I work in a small practice, so have only seen the series completed on 3 dogs but it has been very successful. We just started treatment on a 4th dog about 10 days ago.

As of now the first vial is $250, and follow up vials (if needed) are $190. If it were my dog, I would try a holistic approach first.
Thank you all for the positive feed back!

The research that i have done talked about treatment very similar to what you describe.

I Googled Holistic Vets in Orange Park and there was only one. They are the ones who referred me to the dermatologist.

I'm going to start with the consultation and get the definates there. They will give me meds to help clear up any infections...I only spoke with the receptionist over the phone, which im sure she isn't aware of the entire procedure... They do have a price list though! lol Their first vial is 200 and the follow ups (yearly) are 150. so the prices are very similar... I haven't asked what lab corp. they work with, but I'll definately find out.

Oh yeah, she said generally it's a yearly booster, but sometimes some dogs have flare ups in which they should come in and get another dose.

· Registered
795 Posts
Well hun I hope Neela gets what she needs! Call me soon or text me and let me know whats going on since I cant seem to get to a computer alot. I'm worried about her!:( Talk to you soon hun!

· Registered
795 Posts
you better or im gonna be sad! lol :cry:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.