Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 1/2 old puppy, and i cant teach him the come command. I taught my two other females the come, stay, and sit command around that same age.

Problem with this puppy is that who ever owned before me must have let their children play with the puppy or something. He gets scared easily, and he only listen to the come command when i have treats.

When i dont have treats, he doesnt listen what so ever. Hes kinda of aggressive with my other two females sometimes.

Usually puppies like to be held, and be petted for a while, but my puppy doesnt. If you praise him he just wags his tail, and doesnt like when you pet him. i feel like got a wolf/coyote instead of a domestic dog.

Im usually really good at training my dogs, but this one is stubborn. Any of you have some solutions with stubborn puppies, or dogs. If i cant train him myself ill be looking into a professional in the future.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
loki was like that I swear its males, I find males so much harder to train them females. I say just stay consistent and keep at him he wille ventually pick stuff up. Some dogs are just naturally more shy and skittish then others doesnt always mean something bad happened. My kids always played with the young pups and it hasnt effected them { although I get your point if its kids who dont know how to treat animals}.
have you thought about maybe just signing up for a puppy class with him? might be able to get some advice and help that way. As for the agressive behaviour to the girls you already know about DA and how to handle that, sounds like might just be normal puppy play though and if needed just seperate him when he gets over the line. He will learn that behaviour loses him priveledges.
If he was mine though seeing as he is food motivated I would make him work for his food every day , use the kibble as a reward and make him sit , lay down whatever command you need and when he does give him a few peices of kibble. Make him work for it all, just keep in mind with a young pup you are only going to be able to work 10 min or so before he loses focus and wants to go play lol. Maybe the hand feeding will help you bond with him better as well and make him not as skiddish of you.
Some dogs love to snuggle while others not so much, cali always wanted to explore and play it was just how she was. She loves to snuggle now though. Dont compare him to your girls though you drive yourself crazy thinking he is so behind them lol, each dog is different just take it step by step.

Reactions: SMiGGs

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks angel!

What i hate the most is that he ignores me, walks around like hes some sort of mafia king pin, makes me want to field goal kick him. lol

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
well if you kick him make sure he lands up here at my house lol. Ya sounds just like my males Loki was like that , crush has his own lil quirks he is just a creep all around and we have battles some days. Zeke I really was going to get his hearing checked i was 90% sure he had no hearing or some sort of hearing imparment. He would just straight up ignore me , like most will atleast look at me when I talk to them he wouldnt even cock his head like he heard anything. And giving him commands { when i was told he has competed in agility} he looks at me like im speaking german lol. Found out his hearing is fine he can hear the fridge open from the other side of the house lol. Just that selective hearing most males are known to have I guess. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was just thinking maybe your puppy can't hear. He just sounds young to me.

·
Registered
816 Posts
uhm my 7 month old boy listens but if there are other humans then he gets excited and sometimes doesnt....but now when i walk him off leash he gets more resistant to commands and i find myself having to go to him so might be leash time unless he s outdoors in backyard or a proper open location

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
My boys are always just complete goofballs. I have the problem where my males are sweeter and my girls act like bitches and are harder to train because they happen to have more dominant personalities.

If he's motivated by food. Use food to train him. After awhile you can wean him off the food and only reward every other time with a treat and keep going down til he doesn't get treats at all. You can make sure he is hungry by skipping a meal first and using his kibble to train him. Go slow and keep your training sessions under 5 min so you don't get agitated and he doesn't get bored. End on a good note each time. You might also consider doing the Nothing in Life is Freehttp://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/11559-nilif.html.

What worked for Honey to learn come was a prong collar. She no longer needs one but a flat collar correction was not enough for her to care about. So now she is great on recall and since she is completely trained for it she doesn't have to have the prong collar on to come back to me.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
What worked for Honey to learn come was a prong collar. She no longer needs one but a flat collar correction was not enough for her to care about. So now she is great on recall and since she is completely trained for it she doesn't have to have the prong collar on to come back to me.
His pup is pretty young, would you really use a prong on such a young pup? I know it can have good effects if used right just didnt think to put it on such a small pup.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
His pup is pretty young, would you really use a prong on such a young pup? I know it can have good effects if used right just didnt think to put it on such a small pup.
I would do the training with food first and use the prong only after the dog was six months. I musta missed where he was so little.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
LOL well rereading it he had it written down as 3 1/2 old lol , was suppose to say 3 1/2 months lol.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i kept at it today, when hes about to come hes like "ah, nevermind ill go back to sniffing this poop." He also just walks around like a deaf dog, and acts like he doesnt hear me.

Ima skip a meal, thats a method i had used on my girl. Ill see if it works. Thanks for reminding me :)

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Here is a tried and true method that has always worked for me. I only call my dogs once I say their names for instance duke come if he doesnt come i go to where he is and bring him to where I'm at. Ifnthe dog goes to turn away and make it a chase game, I sit down or turn my back and squat, that usually does thebtrick. Isee a lot of idiots who can't get their dogs to come on a recall andbthe times they do after they say it 5 times they whip their dogs. Dent make to much sense to me to punish the dog for correct behavior. Not saying anyone who posted does this just wanted to throw it out there. Also this is why I just say their names once, if you call the dog more than once over time you condition the dog to come when it hears it more than once. If he is still ignoring you I would go out and get a 30ft lead and hook him up take him out with other dogs to play and call him back but guide him back to you. When he gets to you make a big deal of him pet him. And continue this. You should see some results with one of these methods I've had success with them all. I learned from a old stock dog trainer on training a dog alittle saying, it goes like this. Ask, insist , demand. That goes fornrespect as well as training

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks texasgame, i dont have a 30ft leash lol, ill just hook three leashes up.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Well they are simple to make go to home depot or lowes and buy however much length of rope you are going to want, make it a couple of feet longer to make up for the knots you will make. Go to the hardware section and pick a good hook you like and attach it to one end with a good sturdy knot then on the other end you can tie a staionatnary handle knot.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a prong or correction for a recall, ESPECIALLY with a young pup. Coming to you should be the most fantastic thing EVER, better than anything else going on, not a 'oh God, not this again, everything fun is over' That wiring stays in the brain and can be difficult to eradicate.

In the beginning, it should be a game. Does he have a favorite ball he likes to chase after? or does he like to tug? Get someone to hold him (put him on a long line if you think he might prefer to go off and smell the roses even in a confined space) Have them restrain him while you wave the tug or show him the ball. Once he is super focused on the tug or toy, call his name and have them release him. Don't use a command he doesn't know yet, he should know his name. As he runs toward you (and he should, this is the best game ever) you can use you recall word (WHILE he is recalling, you are building an association between the action and the word) You can either tug with him when he gets to you, or throw the ball backward through your legs, telling him 'through' or 'get it' (running THROUGH you is different than running TO you and stopping but will build more drive, naming the pass or through will help later when you want him to actually stop)

Do not, under any circumstance, use your recall word in situations when he isn't going to come or has the opportunity to ignore you, this just lessens it's 'value' and teaches him he only has to come when he feels like it.
3 and 1/2 month old pups are just discovering their world, and what an exciting place it is. Don't expect him to think you are the most exciting thing in it all of the time. Set up training sessions, initially, where you ARE. This sets YOU up for success. Only after you get consistent results in low distraction environments should you up the ante. Work on one variable at a time (ie distance) If your pup is consistently coming to you over a 30 foot distance with NO distractions, you need to drop your expectations in response to the level of distraction added to the equation in thinking you can get him to respond. The best results will come from GRADUALLY increasing the level of distraction and distance you expect him to overcome.

If your pup seems aloof or is blowing you off, I would work more on attention games and lay a solid foundation there

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I'm not to sure if the dog in question is 3 1/2 years or months from the sound of things it is a fully intac male who is being a guy lol for the above post^^^

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Doesn't really matter. truthfully. You have to be more interesting than the environment you are competing against, either way. Using the I have an intact male or adult female, or whatever, is an excuse. Sure, it ups the amount of distraction a dog may experience in any given location, and makes the job tougher, but that's when the fact that you have a bigger brain comes into play. Do the same things you do with a puppy and limit the dogs availability to more exciting stuff than you during training. If you have to limit your initial training with an adult male to the hallway or a bathroom, so be it. I don't give a crap if there is a female in heat, I am the one to listen to.... but you can't expect that to happen without proper training and proofing. That expectation is asinine.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Oo trust me I wasn't using or trying to make any excuse I've stated my methods and how to fix it without prong collars or chokers. I was just telling you or basically aski g if it was a 3 1/2 month old or year old. I will not tolerate disobedience bottom.ine I ask insist and demand. This is also why I stated to put a 30 foot lead on the dog and allow it to play with the others and call it back occasionally and make a big fus of the dog when it gets to you not to over do the makin a fus but you get what I mean. The dog then learns coming when I'm called is a good thing. The same reason I said to use the dogs name first before the command come, and to only ask once then guide him with the lead not so he is fighting but gets the point to o e to you. Hope ivemade sense I'm exuasted right now.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I'm not to sure if the dog in question is 3 1/2 years or months from the sound of things it is a fully intac male who is being a guy lol for the above post^^^
3 1/2 months it is a young pup.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
its a puppy and he listens to the command already lol.

Key was skipping his morning meal, and most important building up trust. I played with him, and petted him for a while. Praised each time he came to me on his own, and i think that did the trick. Reinforced the idea of me as positive to the puppy.

He comes now with no treats. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts