Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone Im new to the forum and I don't own a pitbull yet but within the next year I plan on getting one. I have heard things from a former breeder that I didnt understand or necessarily believe. One was that Blue, and pure white pitbulls got there colors due to genetic defects which makes them bad dogs to own because they wont be as "mentally stable". the second was that cropping there ears is absolutely terrible for them and they'll just have endless infections.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Welcome. I am glad you joined and are willing to learn about the breed before getting one. I am not familiar with blue, other then it is just a color. I still consider myself a newbie to the breed even though I have had Beastley for over a year. I got a lot of bumps and bruises trying to learn (and I still am) after getting a APBT before learning about the breed. I know people on here will be more informative then myself, I just wanted to say welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! yeah I've been helping walk and spending time with 2 pits a friend from work owns. And she used to breed so I've been hitting her with questions. but when she said these things about the colors and cropping it just seemed funky. But I definitely want a pit but want to be educated before hand.

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
Okay-- I can say from experience that Blues do not have "mental issues" and if some do then it definetly isn't just due to color; I have known many blue APBT's that are great dogs. Blue come from a diluted black. A pure white dog of ANY breed can be blind or deaf but I have never known a all white APBT to have issues that couldn't pop up in other pure white dogs. Regardless of breed.

As far as ears-- Cropping is nothing more than a personal preference. Appearance is a main motivation for many pet owners to have their dog’s ears cropped. Some simply believe that cropped ears are more attractive than the typical drooping ears that most dogs have. The ears cropped can allow for more dirt and unwanted stuff to have access into the ear but as long as you keep the ears clean you should be just fine. Some veterinarians claim that cropped ears are less prone to infection than natural ears. However, others maintain that ear cropping is not a factor in ear infections. The American Veterinary Medical Association resolves this disagreement by stating that, while ears that droop abnormally increase the risk of ear infections, there is not yet any evidence to support the claim that cropped ears lower the risk. Regardless of whether a dog’s ears are cropped or natural, weekly ear cleanings can usually prevent infections.

Hope this helps :)

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Hello, and welcome! The Am Staff standard considers dogs with over 80% white as a fault (this due to increased chance of genetic deafness in dogs with excessive white, especially around the ears) The ABBT standard doesn't penalize for it, but the genetics behind it remain the same, and generally excessive white (extreme pibald) and all white dogs are at risk.
The blue comment comes from the fact that blue is nothing more than a black dog who expresses the dilute gene. As a color, they have been over bred (the color was not encouraged back in the day, so they popped up rarely) Once the color bacame a fad, it was marketed as rare, dogs were bred who shouldnt have been, just for the dilute gene. Now they are everywhere, probably the most common color out there for your bybers, definitely for your American Bullies. The problem with dogs bred for a color lies with people neglecting things like temperament, structure and drive in pursuit of it.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
lol that breeder needs to maybe get some better education on the breed before they ever breed again. Glad you are here for some info good on you for doing your research. Blues and whites are not more unstable or mentally challenged its just a color, although with all whites as in alot of breeds they run a high chance of having sight or hearing issues so if getting an all white one you may want to check that. { there are many white ones that are just fine, its just something to check for and make sure there arent issues}.
Cropping a dogs ears does not make them more prone to ear infections infact in my experience with my cropped vs uncropped dogs the uncropped one has more infections per year then the cropped ones. Maybe the cropped dogs can dry out faster or something I dont know? but really a crop is esthetic and comes down to personal prefrence.
A breeder who wants to spew lies and myths may be one you want to stay clear of. Stick around here and read some threads and ask anything that comes up. There are some great threads on what to look for in breeders and pups when choosing. And threads that go over the ups and downs of owning this breed ,make sure it fits your lifestyle and needs before you buy. If you need a hand in finding a pup when the time comes just post up there are many on here who know of reputable breeders who can help locate the kind of dog you want.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
:welcome: glad you came here to learn before getting a dog or listening to a breeder!

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
eh, the breeder had a lot of things partially right (and for all we know, the information was not transferred exactly as intended)

Dogs bred for color (or size, or whatever SINGLE trait the breeder is looking for) can be prone to both health and/or behavior issues) This is not to say that ALL dogs of a certain color are that way, or even that all dogs produced by people with no regard to temperament will not have a good temperament. If the breeder just meant it as a warning to look for breeding programs who focus on the TOTAL dog, rather than a color, then it is good advice.

There are many schools of thought who claim cropped ears are more prone to ear infections, as the natural protection from outside dirt and debris has been removed. The key is cleaning (I'm lazy and rarely clean my dogs ears, nor do I wish to have to stay up on it. The only one I clean regularly is my bitch with full drop ears and food sensitivities who builds up dirt) There are just as many who claim cropped ears make no difference.

I've seen far worse advice given on both aspects, lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the answers but to clarify they did tell me specifically to "stay away and do not own" a pure white or blue pit because (according to them) all blues and pure whites were unstable. But again thanks for all the input I really appreciate it! I'll definitely be sticking around asking questions and learning.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Well, that's what I get for giving people the benefit of the doubt, lol. Good advice to be gleaned from that though. Do not go to breeders who only focus on color (or size or (insert trait here) Temperament should be paramount in any breeding program. Be aware of health issues that my be associated with any pup you choose (like the deafness white pups are prone too, or the fact that many blues do have sensitive skin, not that they have the market cornered on THAT!) and do your research, because you will hear a lot of stuff that isn't exactly true:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts