Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now caninerocks' post got me thinking.

How does one test for "game".

I know the old / traditional way. I also know of hog hunting, which though daunting is usually a pack of dogs to a hog.

Are there any other ways to do it?

I mean some might say schutzhund but in some countries you can't train your dog in Schutzhund without a pedigree [which would eliminate every BYB dog there is].

Just curious.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Speaking of that, what happened to my thread? People had some good explainations about gameness in there.

Also, what is Schutzhund?

If I remember correctly, gameness was defined by a dog not wanting to quit even when things get hard. So, I would say its any kind of (legal) work or sport that a dog does well even if they start to get tired like weight pulling, agility, hunting,etc.

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
:poke: Unless you use a firt pole in another means that's not testing game, that's raising the dog's prey drive. Or a way to excerise.
:stupid:
Trust me, he was joking.
Hence the "lol" behind it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
:hammer: Oh I know but what's the chance caninerocks whom also posted here would also know.
I can tell when someone's joking,but I don't know what flirtpole is. Sounds like "flirting". Lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
its a pole thats bendy and sort of whippy like a horse whip with something on the end of it like fox tail ,rabbit,skin sock or whatever ur dog chases and u just get the dog to follow to its used to pan the dog out(condtion him ) and can in some causes increase prey drive

·
Registered
40 Posts
its a pole thats bendy and sort of whippy like a horse whip with something on the end of it like fox tail ,rabbit,skin sock or whatever ur dog chases and u just get the dog to follow to its used to pan the dog out(condtion him ) and can in some causes increase prey drive
Oh. Ok. It sounds like playing fetch kind of,but with the "ball" attached to a string. Doesn't sound hard for the dog to do at all. More like a fun game than a test of a dog's perserverence. Thanks for letting me know what it is. :)

·
Good with tools
9,786 Posts
use the search option for "flirt pole vids". there is a lot of good examples here
it doesnt test anything btw

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Its more of an option if it increases prey drive or not. I tend to favor that if your dog has prey drive, not that using one does anything to increase it when used properly. the key is always letting him "win" and commanding him to drop. Its more of a training tool IMO that something that could create or exceed drive.

Its really easy to make. I got some PVC pipe and a wire that I crimped on one end so I can pull it in reverse through the pipe. The other end has a mountain hook that I attach stuff too. Very easy to hurt your dog by making him jump too high or swatch directions too fast, they can pull something, etc. There are plenty of great threads that discuss flirt poles and spring poles. Great exercise.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I wouldn't consider Schutzhund "game" testing by any means. It does test the dog's abilities, temperament, and such yes, but not whether or not they'll keep on fighting despite serious injuries.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
In a perfect world these hounds would not be put under such extreme circumstances to find out.. Of course when people think of "game testing" they immediately go to the era of the [] for answers, which in retrospect is probably the best example of not only testing but proving as it is about as raw of combat form there is.

In order to know a dog possess game is for that said dog to be put in the mental and physical situation deemed impossible to walk away from, in essence life or death. Only then will the dog show you, either instincts will kick in and will attempt to flea, cur, quit, etc.. OR they will defeat all odds and at least attempt to win or finish the tasks regardless of what the cost is to their own well being.. It goes against what nature instilled, if you will.

No sport offers this and aside from the illegal method already mentioned i believe there are only two other avenues.. 1. Catch dog and 2. Protection.. The reason i say this is because in my opinion these two are the only working avenues that can potentially offer the extreme conditions of which game is tested and/or proven.. Though i will say, it is not typical. I would not call a superior catch dog one that possesses game if that said dog has never endured such a stressful, challenging situation.

With the APBT there really is only one method that has proved to work and that is what the breed was bred and designed to do.. While Bulldogs are all arounders and can really exceed at virtually all abilities you must remember there is only 1 of those that the breed was perfected for. There is reason the saying "Its not the size of the dog, its the fight in the dog" is based on the APBT.

As time moves on it is increasingly harder to proven game (especially in this country) legally AND responsibly, no one in their right mind is going to just throw their dog in the position of "well, either he comes back or he wasn't game". These "other venues" are far more risky than "traditional" methods of testing as you don't NEED a hound to possess game to excel in hunting or protection however it just so happens that both have the potential of proving so.

·
Banned
29 Posts
I would not call a superior catch dog one that possesses game if that said dog has never endured such a stressful, challenging situation.
I guess then a catch dog who's trampled on by a 350lb hog because a junior hound backed down and left an opening -- and yet picked himself up, despite some serious scratces [no broken bones], to keep at the hunt -- would kind of fall into this group of "game"
One year later he wasn't broke either we still hunt hog and bear.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
In a perfect world these hounds would not be put under such extreme circumstances to find out.. Of course when people think of "game testing" they immediately go to the era of the [] for answers, which in retrospect is probably the best example of not only testing but proving as it is about as raw of combat form there is.

In order to know a dog possess game is for that said dog to be put in the mental and physical situation deemed impossible to walk away from, in essence life or death. Only then will the dog show you, either instincts will kick in and will attempt to flea, cur, quit, etc.. OR they will defeat all odds and at least attempt to win or finish the tasks regardless of what the cost is to their own well being.. It goes against what nature instilled, if you will.

No sport offers this and aside from the illegal method already mentioned i believe there are only two other avenues.. 1. Catch dog and 2. Protection.. The reason i say this is because in my opinion these two are the only working avenues that can potentially offer the extreme conditions of which game is tested and/or proven.. Though i will say, it is not typical. I would not call a superior catch dog one that possesses game if that said dog has never endured such a stressful, challenging situation.

With the APBT there really is only one method that has proved to work and that is what the breed was bred and designed to do.. While Bulldogs are all arounders and can really exceed at virtually all abilities you must remember there is only 1 of those that the breed was perfected for. There is reason the saying "Its not the size of the dog, its the fight in the dog" is based on the APBT.

As time moves on it is increasingly harder to proven game (especially in this country) legally AND responsibly, no one in their right mind is going to just throw their dog in the position of "well, either he comes back or he wasn't game". These "other venues" are far more risky than "traditional" methods of testing as you don't NEED a hound to possess game to excel in hunting or protection however it just so happens that both have the potential of proving so.
Sorry KM, it says I need to spread the love before I give you some rep...not that you need it anyways lol

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I guess then a catch dog who's trampled on by a 350lb hog because a junior hound backed down and left an opening -- and yet picked himself up, despite some serious scratces [no broken bones], to keep at the hunt -- would kind of fall into this group of "game"
One year later he wasn't broke either we still hunt hog and bear.
I wouldn't consider that game. In the pit, the only time I've seen a dog labeled game is with several broken bones and inches from death and still fighting.

There's even the good ol' story of the dog that was unable to move it's front legs but still scratched and got up on two legs to go after the other dog. From what I recall the dog wasn't the best fighter, but he made up for it in tenacity and determination.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts