Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has been on my mind for awhile.......I have friends and neighbors that leave there children outside in there yards with there dogs unattended. Most of the children are under 5 and 6 years old and I feel like it is an accident waiting to happen regardless of the breed. My best friend who lives next door to me has a 4 year old son who is left outside with a yellow lab and 100 lb Great Dane pup who is about 11 months old. I have called her out on it several times after I have heard the GD growl at her son but she says they are just playing. I have also witnessed her son pulling his tail and kicking the GD and then the GD turns and snaps at the boy. He doesn't bite him but he does snap. I mean a dog can only take so much abuse from a kid and I am afraid that one of these days the outcome won't be pretty. My friend also has an infant son and got the GD puppy to grow up with the kids so he would be able to tolerate children well and be able to take the roughness of the kids. Now the GD and the little boy interact and play all the time and the GD loves the boy but a dog is a dog and at anytime can snap if poked, teased, or taunted over and over again...yes or no? As far as the lab goes....she kind of stays away from all the rough play and confusion between the boy and the GD but when the dogs are playing tug with a toy the little boy gets right in between them and starts pulling the toy from them. Now, as far as some of the other people in my neighborhood......one leaves a GSD outside with there 5 and 6 year olds and again I have seen them teasing and being mean to the dog. Then there is another family with two male boxers up the street from me whos children are also are unattended on a regular basis with there dogs. I know all of these people and we talk on a regular basis so I have brought this topic up to them and they don't seem concerned. I get the "oh, they are fine.....they are just playing":hammer: seriously, I don't care how sweet your dog is! Children can be the worst offenders when it comes to mistreating animals especially when there is no adult around to control the situation and intervene. Am I wrong?? Or is it a legit cause for concern? You always hear those stories on the news of the sweet family dog who mauled the child and the family is in shock because they never expected there dog would turn like that. Just curious how others feel about this topic whether you have children or not.

Reactions: apbtmom76

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Shanon this is an awesome post, I do NOT think dogs (of any breed) or children should be left alone unsupervised period. You are right it is an accident waiting to happen. Ihope your neighbor opens her eyes sooner than later.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Shanon this is an awesome post, I do NOT think dogs (of any breed) or children should be left alone unsupervised period. You are right it is an accident waiting to happen. Ihope your neighbor opens her eyes sooner than later.
I agree. Just today I went with a friend to pick up a husky puppy he had bought from a breeder in LI. Everything seemed good and they place was a very well setup area for the pups and parents, I assumed they were good breeders without knowing much about them.

BUT... As we walk in to the house, I noticed the husky parents were left inside with a baby in one of those car seat things.. Not sure for how long they were there but I'm hoping just a second while they took care of us...

As with a lot things, I don't think these people mean wrong. Ignorance is bliss.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tye :) I just can't believe the ignorance of people.......My daughter has been raised with dogs since the day I brought her home and from the moment she started to crawl then walk, I began teaching her to respect them. I see some of these people around where I live whose dogs get mistreated by there children and they don't do anything to correct them. There kids are not being taught to respect there animals but to use them as a jungle gym and target practice when throwing balls/toys :hammer: irritates me!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
NO dog black, white, yellow, purple, lab, pug, toy poodle, ect should EVER be left alone with a small child for ANY period of time. That is bad parenting skills, lack of common sense and sheer negligence at it's finest. Animals are not people we cannot predict what they would do on any given day. They are like little children themselves and need to be monitored by an ADULT figure at all times. I hate to say it though there are plenty of parents in the world who lack common sense. This is one of those things that is supposed to be common sense either you have it or you don't.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I fully trust my dogs not to bite and my kids know not to pull tails HOWEVER I would still never leave them unattended so many things can happen from the dogs being over playful and knocking them down by accident or knocking them down the stairs or off the deck ect things happen and they need to be watched.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NO dog black, white, yellow, purple, lab, pug, toy poodle, ect should EVER be left alone with a small child for ANY period of time. That is bad parenting skills, lack of common sense and sheer negligence at it's finest. Animals are not people we cannot predict what they would do on any given day. They are like little children themselves and need to be monitored by an ADULT figure at all times. I hate to say it though there are plenty of parents in the world who lack common sense. This is one of those things that is supposed to be common sense either you have it or you don't.
:goodpost: AMEN sista :D That is the argument I have with my friend ALL THE TIME!!! I tell her the same things you just stated but she is just so ignorant and... "eh hem" stupid about the dogs with her kid that I just can't get it through her thick blonde head! When ever I am over there and see the interactions I don't like I correct her son and I don't care! She just looks at me and laughs and tell's me I worry to much! They have a stone wall in there yard and there GD knocked there son off of it and he fell off and hit his head. My nine year old daughter picked him up and carried him in the house to his mom crying! I was mad when I found that out. That little boy shouldn't be left outside unattended dogs or not! I don't know what the hell she is thinking at times. :hammer:

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
If you'd have asked me this question just a week ago I might have had a different answer. Might get a little lengthy so bear with me as I explain.

First, I trust ALL of my dogs (5) with my kids, period. My kids are ages 8, 11 and 16. The kids are older so I have no problem with the way they act with the dogs out in the yard. That being said, some recent events have changed my mind about how the dogs are left with the kids alone.

In the past, all the dogs would be out with the kids if we weren't home. Lately, Athena does NOT like my old girl, Sky (who's 15 this year). And Duke, my little black demon dog, has started to think he's king :poop: and has been challenging the other males. Just yesterday, Lauren (11) was inside with the dogs while we were out in the pool. Apparently one of the dogs got something out of the pantry and a fight erupted between Duke and Cleveland. Now mind you, Lauren has helped me break up a tussle in the past, but she freaked and didn't know what to do by herself. Had I not been there to be able to run in and break it up I'd most likely have a dead dog or at least a lofty vet bill. The frustrating part of the whole thing is that it could have been avoided. :mad: One of the kids left the pantry open which is what initiated the fight.

So my thinking has since changed. Not because I fear the dogs snapping at the kids, but because we're a multiple dog household. Until I'm confident that the kids can separate them if needed things will be done differently when we leave. Athena will go to her crate as usual, Duke will be in a closed room until we get home.

I know this is kind of different then what the initial post was about but I think it's still relevant.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
I fully trust my dogs not to bite and my kids know not to pull tails HOWEVER I would still never leave them unattended so many things can happen from the dogs being over playful and knocking them down by accident or knocking them down the stairs or off the deck ect things happen and they need to be watched.
exactly my thoughts ;)

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
generally a bad idea no matter what the dog is or the personality. some times i dont trust certain people to be alone around kids either.

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
This is a HUUUUGE pet peeve of mine! My boss will let her rotten brat of a son hang all over dogs of all sizes. He will carry around tiny dogs that we are grooming really terribly and when i yell at him he will just stare at his mom and when she does nothing, he just keeps doing it. he has in the past kicked belle in the face and hit her as well. while we were in the room! that was a couple years ago, he is 7 now but they still treat him like a little baby and he still acts like one. i wouldn't trust him with any dog, i don't even trust him when he IS being supervised. i watch him like a hawk if he even goes near one of my girls. he loves belle and she loves him, but he also is a craphead and likes to smother her and love on her and squeeze her and lay on her and she doesn't mind, but it just bothers me. just the other day while we were in the same room she let him get into her sharpei mixes face and i dunno if he was blowing in his face or what, but the dog snapped at him and he screamed like a little 2 year old. my children will never mistreat a dog and will learn to respect dogs before they even walk! gawd my children might hate me but ima be so strict... im sick of these horrible brats that i see everywhere... people need to grow the crap up and be parents. they are almost asking for their kids to be bitten.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
they are almost asking for their kids to be bitten.
I agree! And kids can be so cruel. I keep telling my friend that leaving her 4 year old in the yard with her two dogs is an accident waiting to happen but she is to numb to see it as wrong. So frustrating!

·
Registered
20 Posts
great thread.. if only everyone could read this and learn from it.

i understand that kids and dogs need to be supervised, however i also think that kids need to learn how to respect and treat the dog and read their body language. i've seen so many kids 6 and under just grab a puppy like it was a rag doll or just run up to a stranger's dog and start smothering it with attention - that's just asking for trouble.

i also believe wild has a very valid point concerning multiple dogs. even with the calmest of dogs, things can change in a day and you always have to be alert and know what's going on. just because fido and fifi were best buds yesterday doesn't mean they're a-okay today.

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
The funny thing is-- I was just having this discussion with my husband.:)
I have two small children. My eldest is 6, and my younger is 3. They both know how to behave with a dog, and how to approach a stranger's dog in public. (ALWAYS ask first!) Even though my dogs are super good and gentle with them-- I still don't leave them alone together. The kids go to bed, the dogs go in crates. I wake up, I get them out of their crates. It's just common sense! My ex-neighbor's daughter got bitten by their "sweet, wouldn't-hurt-a-fly" dog because she tried to take a toy from their two dogs, and it turned into a fight. If I can't see the kids, I had better darned well be able to see my dogs. The dogs aren't even allowed to go in the kids rooms without me-- and they know it. They will lay on the floor outside their doors, but they won't go in, unless I am in there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts