Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
CHILD MEMBER
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok can someone give me a lesson on genetics? I would like to get some more insight on this.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
There is sooo much to genetics. I would google dog genetics, read read read read and then ask more specific questions on what you didn't get from the reading. There is just so much to genetics that it would take pages upon pages for someone to explain it and really where to start lol.

I would start reading about color genetics first. Since you can clearly see color I find its easy to understand color genetics first and then you can easy pick up how health, structure, and other things pass genetically.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Ok, thanks! I shall be back!!! :)
Np have a blast and remember to blink while reading!!! :D Nothing like reading online to make your eyes burn lol.

Reactions: Firehazard

·
CHILD MEMBER
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, So Blue is a dilution of black! How do you get merle? I've read before that Merle is not accepted in pitbulls by ADBA, or ABKC. In that somewhere in the lines there had to me a different breed of dog thrown in there!?!?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Ticking comes from many old lines, merle comes from breeding in chatahola (sp) dogs and other merle breeds. Thats why you will find both types of merles in pitbull mixes.

Merle is not excepted by any reputable registry.

If you search for Merle there are tons of debates here on it.

·
CHILD MEMBER
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It says cream comes from a dilution of red. Would that include champagne too?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Champagne is a dilute of Blue and Red. You can not get Champagne with out the presents of both blue and red in the ped. This is why Champagne dogs can have either a red toned or purple blue toned nose.

·
CHILD MEMBER
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok heres a question for you! If you have a litter and one out of 8 of the pups has a underbite, would you recommend breeding them? But only breeding them outside of that line? We haven't done this, but I've read about a pitbull kennel doing it.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I wouldn't breed that specific dog but under bites do happen in litters, as well as other serious faults and thats where your culling comes in. Spay/Neuter. The rest of the litter is fine but I would make sure what it was bred to did not also have under bite issues closely. Head for a better bite in the line. Improve :D

·
CHILD MEMBER
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do pups that are in a litter that had no signs of an underbite/ overbite, end up with one as they get older? That one is still a mystery to me?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Thats why you don't breed a dog till it is fully mature. This is why I disagree with conformation titling young dogs. Some faults can develop more or show up as the dog matures at 2 years old.

·
CHILD MEMBER
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've also been told that kinked tails can happen while the pups are still in the womb and they can be caused by genetics. How do they kink while in the womb? lol just trying to get some answers so I can ease my mind :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Kinks can happen while in the womb and from birth and other causes however most often when it is the genetic kinked tail you will have more than one puppy with the kinks. I have alot of experience with kinks unfortunately ( you can not know if a dog is a carrier until it throws one) and many people look at them as nothing more than a cosmetic flaw which is very wrong considering that it is part of the dogs spine that is twisted. However due to this they have been often bred and the kinked tail is often found in the breed.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Very good questions.. Gotta give AmPit13 Props!! :roll: It's not a good idea to push your dog until at least 1 and 1/2 yrs and really old school rules dogs weren't even really considered until 2, some young hot dogs turn cold and vise verse, gotta let the dog come into full maturity. Undershot jaw is not wanted but your not gonna ever get rid of it, its old world pit dog and I don't mean EngBulldogs.. I've seen the most picture perfect lines have it resurface again and again with this breeding or that breeding.. culling pups and sterilizing dog with undesired traits is the only way to isolate, but some of the gamest dogs have had a slight undershot jaw.. I've seen a whole litter of dogs with tight scissor bites, a couple undershots, and one pigmouthed (overshot jaw) dog. Culling is neccessary for extreme cases, the dog will suffer.. In general I wouldn't stress it.

For any novice APBT owner, spay/neuter, no questions asked. Know your breed, know your dog, and get to know the ethics of registries and renowned breeders.. Then get you a dog you want to breed.. Thats JMO, it prevents undesired characteristics and undesired dogs.

·
CHILD MEMBER
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I could've asked my mom, but she had to go to work. I figured the next best place would be here! thanks you guys!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ok heres a question for you! If you have a litter and one out of 8 of the pups has a underbite, would you recommend breeding them? But only breeding them outside of that line? We haven't done this, but I've read about a pitbull kennel doing it.
It depends on the severity and frequency in the line on what breeding I would choose. If the individual was what I wanted otherwise then I would breed it. Minor underbites are not an issue. Though severe under or over shot jaw can cause a problem.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
It depends on the severity and frequency in the line on what breeding I would choose. If the individual was what I wanted otherwise then I would breed it. Minor underbites are not an issue. Though severe under or over shot jaw can cause a problem.
Old_Blood makes a great point. It would depend on what you where breeding for.

If where breeding for working dogs, unless the fault effects work its not going to be a big deal. However if you are breeding for Show then these faults will cost you points.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts