Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just wanted to know what people think about this. my aunt had got one for her bully she found on the street and i have to say the results were pretty impressive to me. i walked him with and with out the collar. and i saw a big difference.

(this isnt her dog... its just a picture i found online of it.)
so opinions?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
We used one for loki for a bit and your right it did wonders BUT only while using that it did nothing to teach him not to pull if we decided to put a flat buckle collar on him. We also started looking into them and hearing things from people on here about neck , and spinal injuries caused by these and realized they arent worth it. Best bet to teach them properly not to pull then your not dependant on this 1 tool. We no longer use ours and wont use it again.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We used one for loki for a bit and your right it did wonders BUT only while using that it did nothing to teach him not to pull if we decided to put a flat buckle collar on him. We also started looking into them and hearing things from people on here about neck , and spinal injuries caused by these and realized they arent worth it. Best bet to teach them properly not to pull then your not dependant on this 1 tool. We no longer use ours and wont use it again.
yah i can understand that, this little dog was barking at him and he just just took this intense lunge at it and the thing tightened and he kinda freaked out not so good :\. what kind of problems does it cause with the neck and the spine? or how does it do damage?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
pretty much as you just explained when they lunnge all of a sudden or the handler jerks back on them its been known to put excess pressure on the dogs face and head and can jar the neck and or spinal cord in doing so. I think lisa might know a bit more about this she was the one who said something inone of my posts about it when we started using it , then read more into it and found alot more storys about similar injuries she had talked about.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pretty much as you just explained when they lunnge all of a sudden or the handler jerks back on them its been known to put excess pressure on the dogs face and head and can jar the neck and or spinal cord in doing so. I think lisa might know a bit more about this she was the one who said something inone of my posts about it when we started using it , then read more into it and found alot more storys about similar injuries she had talked about.
i can see that since it pulls down or back. ashley didnt like it to much at all, it didnt allow the dog to open its mouth all the way. seems that the bad way out weighs the good for this thing. but it looks like lisa is making her rounds now so we'll see what she says

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
so not worth it , I dont know about there but here they are like $30-$40 for that you can get a really nice collar maybe 2 if you wait for the deals from nizmo collars lol.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so not worth it , I dont know about there but here they are like $30-$40 for that you can get a really nice collar maybe 2 if you wait for the deals from nizmo collars lol.
online they were like 15 20. but if they can do serious damage really not worth my money.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I am starting to use these for softer dogs and puppies. Trevor from Nizmo's K9 Supply send me a few to try and for Obed and agility I found I really like them! I have used martingale collars before but I like these since they are a leash and collar in one. Great for a softer dog, you can still make a little correction with the same action on a prong but without the prong for your softer dogs.

http://www.gopitbull.com/products-services/37166-new-martingale-lead.html

The link above has the price and what they look like.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
dont think im gettin one...
I tried one on Kane and didn't like it. Even after spending a week desensitizing him to it, he didn't like wearing it and was actively avoiding going on walks because of it. It rubbed on his nose and when he'd go outside, he would just mash his face into the ground to try to get it off. Even seeing me pull out the GL, Kane would act depressed and give me a lot of avoidance and calming behaviors.

I am starting to use these for softer dogs and puppies. Trevor from Nizmo's K9 Supply send me a few to try and for Obed and agility I found I really like them! I have used martingale collars before but I like these since they are a leash and collar in one. Great for a softer dog, you can still make a little correction with the same action on a prong but without the prong for your softer dogs.

http://www.gopitbull.com/products-services/37166-new-martingale-lead.html

The link above has the price and what they look like.
Thanks for posting that link, Lisa. I'm going to have to try getting that for Kane after he recovers. I really like the way those look. Very simple and clean.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
It only does damage to the neck if you use it improperly. If you have a dog lunging, you shouldn't be using it, if they're constantly pulling on it, don't use it. It can be handy in situations where you need to make tight fits and need more control (say a large crowd). It's also helpful in the training of Dog reactive/aggressive dogs. You can use it to pull their attention back onto you and keep them focused on you.

Might I add, Gentle Leaders are pretty crappy because they're not securely made and are quite thin. I prefer Haltis. It clips to the collar as well for extra security.

Alice is a priss about anything on her face, but I was able to condition her to it, and she wears it without a problem now.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I had tried it on Mel before I taught him to walk on a leash after a while he realized I wouldn't tug on him when he wire it, just like he could not tug, and would plop his butt down and not move, lol. Try to rub it off on the grass like he could get it off. no fun. Glad he didn't do damage for to himself before.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Yeah... I took 2 weeks to condition Alice to hers. Like with every training tool I've seen it takes an education in their proper use, how to handle them, how to adjust a dog to them. It reminds me of people who buy choke chains for dogs that pull, and the dog continues to pull and the owner thinks that's what is suppose to happen and the dog ends up with an injury.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
You can use it to pull their attention back onto you and keep them focused on you.

If you have to pull at it at all it can cause damage and why you should not use them. Anything that puts pressure on the neck and spine can cause injury, they do not have to be pulling constantly for it to do damage. The whole point of a Halti is to make it uncomfortable for the dog to pull by pulling the head down or to the side, both can cause issues and why they are not needed. A dog who responds well to a Halti will just as easily respond to a flat collar or martingale collar and Hatlis are not needed.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
It does not put pressure on the spine. The pressure is placed on the nose, IF you pull incorrectly you can harm them but that's from being inexperienced/ignorant of how to use them properly. And you should've use a lot of force either, very light pulling.
Like I said, shouldn't use it on a dog that is pulling in it.

A Gentle Leader may put pressure on the dog's neck/spine when you apply pressure because they're crappily made. But the Halti's pressure is one the nose. Which from there, requires an owner with an education of the do's and don'ts of Haltis.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
It does not put pressure on the spine. The pressure is placed on the nose, IF you pull incorrectly you can harm them but that's from being inexperienced/ignorant of how to use them properly. And you should've use a lot of force either, very light pulling.
Like I said, shouldn't use it on a dog that is pulling in it.
The neck is connected to the spine and can cause injury, Any pressure it puts on the neck is bad for the dog. The whole principle of the Haltie is dangerous and it has many documented injured associated with the long term use. I will not even allow these in the building when I train they are useless in my opinion when there are so many other great collars to use that do not cause neck or spine issues. This is the same for the no pull harnesses.

Edited to add: the Haltie still pulls the nose of the dog down, nose connected to the neck, connected to the spine.....

I know you like using them and that is fine you use what works for you, I just want to make sure people know the options of training collars and what these can do to the neck and spine of a dog. People can then make a decision on the facts they read. I don't want to argue about training tools people use what works for them and in my experience I do not like them for the reasons I explained.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Lol oops, Typo on my part. It should say:
And you shouldn't use a lot of force either, very light pulling.
When I use any force with the Halti it's pinky pressure. Otherwise no pressure, if she started putting more pressure on, pulling, etc I'd take it off. And I don't know any tool that should be used long term... Alice is just reached the point where we no longer need to use it in controlled environments.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Well I don't know many dogs who need only pinkie pressure to keep them from pulling, maybe you can be the next Cesar Milan with your own TV show. I would like to see a dog like Barca walk with pinkie pressure.

I love that a 14 year old has so much experience to say.
It only does damage to the neck if you use it improperly. It's also helpful in the training of Dog reactive/aggressive dogs.
I think you have a bright future but you have to remember you have a lot to learn and making statements like you know they do not cause damage or they do not pull on necks, is not true and shows you lack of experience. There are better tools one can use without having to worry about an injury or a dog pulling you down.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts