Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever use it on there APBT and have any luck?

We finally found the dog that fits our family, she's an adorable 11 month old fawn with ears that stick straight up.
The only thing is, she pulls hard.
Any ideas?

thanks everyone in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
If your talking about the gentle leader head harness....I used it on my pup and it worked great. Only took a couple of weeks and she was good on the leash....I love it.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
i tried it on chyna and she freaked out!!!! maybe becuz she is older. BUT make sure u introduce it to her.... maybe put it on in the house and give her a treat. let her wear it in the house a few times before taking her on a walk with it... and lots of treats and praise...

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
picking 2 of them up for Nismo and Skyler today.
i plan on letting them wear the gentle leaders around the house for a couple days since Skylar is still on bed rest from getting fixed.
thanks for the input, you 2 are always so helpful.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I used this training method on Chalice and she hated it. In fact she hated the instructure too because everytime she saw her she had to wear the head gizmo. I would never use one again.

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
I do admit it took about 4 days before Zoe was use to it...I started by taking her places she loved. She was wearing it the whole time we were there. Like my sisters house, petsmart and the lake.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i got one today at the pet store cuz trane pulls so bad. it works great.

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i also picked mine up. theyre still getting used to them but it works really well!

im trying to talk my friend who has a 5 month old that pulls really hard too.

·
wheezie wayne
3,366 Posts
gotta use it as a training tool, you should be able to use it just for training and then eventually not need it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I like our head harness, it works great with Boomer. the only catch is once we put it on we have to get going otherwise he freaks out on it and gets mad.
we are using it to teach a good heal, which so far, it has done well. everytime he pulls and his head comes back, and he keeps that spot, he gets a treat. training has slowed because of our winter rains but we hope that by summer he'll be able to go to a regular collar and a good heal.

·
Registered
121 Posts
gotta use it as a training tool, you should be able to use it just for training and then eventually not need it.
With SATS Bridge and Target training, we name, show, and define loose leash, tight leash, pull, backwards, forwards, lots of things, and bridge (a verbal reinforcer) the dog's effort to keep it loose. It seems to really help them.

Don't let them self correct, many will become insensitive, and don't be emotional about it or give any negative verbal corrections, you're the sweet spot, the end of the leash is not.

I start mine out with manufactured distractions (food and toys on the ground in the training area) rather than real life distractions. You don't want to have them think they are getting a correction from another person or dog they are pulling toward. The lesson is simply do not pull on lead.

Julie K

1 - 16 of 16 Posts