Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been successful with a gentle leader? I think it would help address problem I sometimes have while walking my dog (she will either pull ahead or get distracted and not pay attention to me). Any advice/suggestions for using it?

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I've never liked them, but that's just me.
If I were you, I'd invest in a Stillwater collar or harness.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
I use them with great success with both of my dogs. Best tool I've found to suit their particular needs. As with any tool though, it should be used in conjunction with a training plan, don't just slap it on and expect the behaviour to stop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I personally feel like I dont have control. Some people are able to use them but personally I cant. Though, I feel like I have no control over the dogs with any type of harness. I have been a fan of the flat, martingale, and the prong. Maybe the halters can work for you, but personally its not for me. Just like the clickers work for some, and not for others.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I personally feel like I dont have control. Some people are able to use them but personally I cant. Though, I feel like I have no control over the dogs with any type of harness. I have been a fan of the flat, martingale, and the prong. Maybe the halters can work for you, but personally its not for me. Just like the clickers work for some, and not for others.
I used to have a prong collar for my mutt. I understand a lot of people don't like it, but it worked instantly for me.
It depends on the dog and the trainer, but the prong and the wide collar (like Stillwater sells) have never let me down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used to have a prong collar for my mutt. I understand a lot of people don't like it, but it worked instantly for me.
It depends on the dog and the trainer, but the prong and the wide collar (like Stillwater sells) have never let me down.
See I start my training off with a smaller flat collar, though do love the look of a wide flat. Like you said its on the dog and the handler. Prong has done me wonders and have only come across 2 dogs that it never worked for. One was very timid, the other the owners abused the shock and the prong so much that it didnt even register anymore. I didnt have enough time to work with the bull headed dog. Though the timid one benefitted more from clicker training, personally dont care for it. Again the timid one was sent to a trainer in ohio who was just to heavy handed with her. She was timid before she left and he really messed her up. My mothers cocker only needed a flat, and my current dog sadie is only using a flat.My old girl used a prong, all 6 of my sisters dogs used a prong, used a prong when working with the neighbors doberman, friends border collies, beagle, and some others.
Dont get me wrong I am not saying stillwaters wide collars are bad, shoot sadie is wearing his 1.5" pink and silver collar right now. Would have loved to get a couple 2" collars from different people, love the look. Though, sadie has to small or a neck and head. Would just look really off, a 1.5" is more her style for her body type. Just for training I personally like something higher on the neck. The wider ones just ride to low for me, I feel like I have no real control. Though that could be just me, but shoot even the wrong leash has me off my game. Use to have my favorite leather training leash, was probably 5 foot. Sadie ate it, was so mad. No leash feels as good as the one I had. Just feels weird and wrong now.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
The prong absolutely does not work for my male. Even fitted properly, he just doesn't give a shit about corrections. That's why I use the gentle leader with him, he can ignore corrections all day long but he can't ignore the fact that his face is turned around if he tries to react at a dog, or pull, or whatever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts