Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,
so about 5 days ago my lil pup findally learned the concept of walking on a leash, and actually walking side by side with me instead of stopping all the time, and making me drag her! haha

as of 3 days ago, everytime i take her out, she seems to love to pull, and everytime i say pull and start praising her, she starts tugging like a wild dog! haha

i got her a little harness so it wouldn't hurt her neck or anything.

Today though, after our walk, she was pulling the whole time (everytime i'd tell her too) and she just seemed to be loving it.

So when i got home after the walk, i decided since she likes it so much, i might as well get her into pulling, and get her nice and muscular, so she's a big strong healthy dog when she's older.

I filled two 20 oz. water bottles up with rocks about half way each, tied it onto her... and as soon as she started walking and noticed they were tied onto her, she FREAKED out, and litterally FLIPPED out, and went NUTS I had NEVER seen her do that before. She ran around the house banging around until both the bottles finally flew off, lol.

then she went and hid in a corner TERRIFIED. i went and grabbed her and calmed her down some, than tried it again. she was fine sitting in my lap and while i put it on, but soon as she stood up (this time i put the leash on her to try n control her so she wouldn't start runnin n get freaked) n as soon as i got her up on her feet she FREAKED out again on the leash n started barking, so i finally just let her go and she ran around till both the bottles flew off again, and she went and hid under the kitchen table again.... TERRIFIED

any suggestions as to how i should get her to start pulling really light weights around, or something that won't scare her, or terrify her like that?

perhaps something thats more quiet, or... idk...

any suggestions and opinions are more than welcome. I'm here for the knowledge!

HELLLPP. haahha

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
How old is your pup? i wouldnt start any weight pulling training until you have a good basic obedience and leash manners down. A dog who does weight pulling knows the difference between harness work time and walk time. Teaching them to pull while on leash will result in some bad leash manners and a hard time with control. Id have a very hard time if my dog pulled me down the road like he pulls the sled, you think they can pull thousands of pounds , you really want to teach them to pull you?
Also starting out too young you can injure those growing joints and muscles and cause some life long issues. Id start maybe closer to a year getting used to a harness and you can work with milk jugs and stuff at that point. I wouldnt do any wieght until closer to 18 months though. If you use the search at the top and ut in weight pulling there are many threads that offer good advice when you are at that point and can lead you in the right direction.
Your pup is just learning the concept of a leash dont throw other things in there to confuse her now, teach her leash manners now and discourage from pulling on the leash while walking.
Also a walking harness is nothing like a pulling harness and can cause injury , a pulling harness is properly set up to distribute the weight where it needs to be so when you get closer to maturity with her look into buying a proper harness :)
Just enjoy this puppy stage , so many are in such a rush to do things with them and get into sports they forget to enjoy this time. Trust me it doesnt last long.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I moved your post to the WP section that way it will get more attention and hopefully others can answer your questions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How old is your pup? i wouldnt start any weight pulling training until you have a good basic obedience and leash manners down. A dog who does weight pulling knows the difference between harness work time and walk time. Teaching them to pull while on leash will result in some bad leash manners and a hard time with control. Id have a very hard time if my dog pulled me down the road like he pulls the sled, you think they can pull thousands of pounds , you really want to teach them to pull you?
Also starting out too young you can injure those growing joints and muscles and cause some life long issues. Id start maybe closer to a year getting used to a harness and you can work with milk jugs and stuff at that point. I wouldnt do any wieght until closer to 18 months though. If you use the search at the top and ut in weight pulling there are many threads that offer good advice when you are at that point and can lead you in the right direction.
Your pup is just learning the concept of a leash dont throw other things in there to confuse her now, teach her leash manners now and discourage from pulling on the leash while walking.
Also a walking harness is nothing like a pulling harness and can cause injury , a pulling harness is properly set up to distribute the weight where it needs to be so when you get closer to maturity with her look into buying a proper harness :)
Just enjoy this puppy stage , so many are in such a rush to do things with them and get into sports they forget to enjoy this time. Trust me it doesnt last long.
okay, sounds good. I'm open to all suggestions from people who actually know what they're talking about. I wasn't sure as to if gettin her pulling now would be to early or not. clearly it seems like it is. so i won't even think bout it at this stage. lol

as far as the puppy thing goes, i couldn't agree with you more. I was just telling my girlfriend how i'm going to miss her in a few months when she gets all big, and what not.I mean i'll still love her, if not, more than i do now, but the cuteness n the puppy breath is just something else hahahah.

but as far as obediance goes, if she needs to be fully obediant before she starts pulling, she's got a ways to go then. haha. I mean for the most part she's potty trained ( only time she goes potty in house is if no one lets her out in time; she's not willing to hold it yet/knows how to yet/gets the concept of lol) and she sits everytime on command. Even when we're out on walks with all kinds of distractions, she sits at every street corner, before crossing!

but she still has a lot of work to go as far as learning to stay, and laying down. those two are just a no go yet. haha, but a work in progress i suppose.

Once again, thank you for the info about WP, and i will def. check out the section on the forums about all the info and what not.

Also at about a year when she starts pulling, will I need a custom harness for her just to pull little water bottles/milk jugs around with rocks in it, or would a regular, well-padded walking harness work ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I moved your post to the WP section that way it will get more attention and hopefully others can answer your questions.
okay, thank you.

I'm farely new to this site, and don't really know how things work that well yet. haha.

This is the first forums i've ever signed up on.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Ya getting a great basic obedience on her is the best start. When you do pull you need her to know how to stay until you call her to you and you want her to come to you and not decide to turn around or run off to the side to someone else lol. SO id start right now with obedience and basic commands. Could always take a puppy class with her to start off.
And ya the puppy stage I wish lasted longer lol, my baby turns one in december here and its doesnt seem like its been that long , goes so fast.
For the harnesses it depends who you ask , there are some training harnesses that are adjustable maybe look into those when she is a year or so , at that age your just wanting her to get used to the harness itself and learn how to keep forward when something is dragging thats usually the scary thing lol . When you start adding weight or upgrading from milk jugs to tires or sleds then be sure to have a proper harness. Id check out Weight Pull Harnesses they are reasonably priced and Have great quality stuff , we ordered ours from her and about to order another .

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay for sure. awesome thank you.

I just got her first set of shots today, and got her chipped! haha, and signed up for some obediance classes as well! it's only once a week, but i mean it's okay for now. She's a pretty good pup for the most part. She's potty trained about 98% now, haha, she never goes in the house, unless no one lets her out for a long time. (then thats just our fault) and she sits, she walks on the leash good, doesnt pull unless i get her excited and start tellin her to pull in a voice that gets her all riled up. haha. but she doesn't know how to stay yet, or lay down. hopefully those two will be next.

oh and she's also learned "come" as well for the most part... unless she just wants to be a stubborn brat! haha

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
with the plastic jugs it sounds like you are on the right track...just be patient witht hem dedsensittizing is a pain but keep trying

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
with the plastic jugs it sounds like you are on the right track...just be patient witht hem dedsensittizing is a pain but keep trying
yea, but from what i've been reading, it's still way to early for her, so i'm just going to wait it off for a while longer.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Yeah, she needs a lot more socialization and confidence before you try that. And when you do try it, you need to have her on a leash so she can't panic and hurt herself. That's a major mental trauma for a young puppy. You don't want to ruin her.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
you can start draggin (very lightweight) stuff now, but you need a good training harness. I got mine from nordkyn.com. It's just a sledding harness, but it works well for dragging. I had my girl dragging at 14 weeks with milk jugs that had less than a pound of rocks in them for noise. You wanna start with something quiet that doesn't make noise, though. She is obviously freaked over everything happening at once. Try tying a piece of fabric, clothing, something, to her walking harness, and KEEP A HOLD ON HER! DO NOT LET HER RAMPAGE WITH SOMETHING ATTACHED TO HER.. EVER! It can ruin a pullin dog real quick. Start off by just having her stand there, feeding her treats. Then have her move a bit with the fabric. Stop her after a couple steps, treat. Move a lil more. treat. If at any point, she freaks, STOP. Go back a step. This stage can take a while, or a short time. Just till she's pulling that fabric or whatever a distance through the house or yard without caring about it. Then you can start with something a little noisier and noticeable. Like an empty milk jug. Start all over again.. just standing there eating treats. Then starting to move. You have to start each step like this, even when you're adding weight after she's 18 months. Once you're adding weight, though, (more than a couple pounds) you're going to need a weight pull harness. The best harnesses are @ weightpullharness.com. Good luck!

Some pics of Indie dragging in her Nordkyn harness. She's 14 weeks in these pics: (head and tail up.. having a blast!!)

Reactions: KhashLovesGucci

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you can start draggin (very lightweight) stuff now, but you need a good training harness. I got mine from nordkyn.com. It's just a sledding harness, but it works well for dragging. I had my girl dragging at 14 weeks with milk jugs that had less than a pound of rocks in them for noise. You wanna start with something quiet that doesn't make noise, though. She is obviously freaked over everything happening at once. Try tying a piece of fabric, clothing, something, to her walking harness, and KEEP A HOLD ON HER! DO NOT LET HER RAMPAGE WITH SOMETHING ATTACHED TO HER.. EVER! It can ruin a pullin dog real quick. Start off by just having her stand there, feeding her treats. Then have her move a bit with the fabric. Stop her after a couple steps, treat. Move a lil more. treat. If at any point, she freaks, STOP. Go back a step. This stage can take a while, or a short time. Just till she's pulling that fabric or whatever a distance through the house or yard without caring about it. Then you can start with something a little noisier and noticeable. Like an empty milk jug. Start all over again.. just standing there eating treats. Then starting to move. You have to start each step like this, even when you're adding weight after she's 18 months. Once you're adding weight, though, (more than a couple pounds) you're going to need a weight pull harness. The best harnesses are @ weightpullharness.com. Good luck!

Some pics of Indie dragging in her Nordkyn harness. She's 14 weeks in these pics: (head and tail up.. having a blast!!)

haha, okay, first off, i just have to say your dog is friggin adorable, and i love her! hahah. those pictures are so awesome!! omg! hah.

but okay, for sure. that's good to know. a lot of ppl have said that right now is super young for her to do any kind of pulling or anything like that.

she is TERRIFIED of bottles being dragged behind her. i will for sure just start off with tying a shirt onto her walking harness and start off with doing what you said. She's already got the sit command down 100% so the thing with the treats i should be able to do pretty well! I'm actually going to start doing that tomorrow :)

just wanted to say thx a lot for sharing that info, and the pictures!! haha

not only did it make me smile, i got a good insight on how to start getting her to pull!! that's awesome. so thank you. she loves playing and tug o war n biting on n not letting go. so im hoping she'll love pulling. if she isn't into it tho by 1 year old, i'm just going to give up on it. i don't want her to do anything she doesn't want to do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
the important part at this point is to keep the effort to near 0 ! you only what to acclimate her to the feel and noise of pulling . Do whatever it takes to make her LOVE it ! Positive reinforcement. I have started using a very small amount of negative reinforcement when brock tries to quit but that is at an advanced stage only .

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Thanks. :) Yes, the goal now is just to have her used to the noise behind her. Nothing heavy. Just enough drag to let her know something is there. The earlier you start it, the easier it is to correct any fears she may have. Just go at her speed. She'll figure it out, and chances are, she'll love it! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts