Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay now that I got some free help from a local pit bull organization (not sure if I'm allowed to post the name or not) for Iggy's leash reactivity/DA issues, I'm ready for my next dog related project, swimming. Iggy will get into the pool with a lot of coaxing, but he doesn't seem to enjoy it like he does at the lake. Does anyone have any helpful tips for helping Iggy enjoy swimming a little bit more? He will easily get in and lay on the step, he just doesn't really like the swimming part, which I hear is the one of the best forms of exercise for him. Any ideas are gladly read! Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Dogs don't like the man-made pools mainly because there's some strange thing going on with the reflections. It's as if they can't see their feet. It freaks them out. That's why your pup likes the lake more, they could see their feet. I am trying to train my pup to swim too, but I mostly just take her to the pond when no one's looking. Once in awhile there'd be extra incentive to swim like a bird. >_>;

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had to put my dog in the water a few times before she realized she loved swimming. But it took her a few times of getting placed in deep enough she had to swim. I haven't been to a pool but have been to a lake.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
My boy likes the ocean or wading in the little end of pools. I bought him a life vest and he swims around a bit, but more in the ocean he will go out with me and ride the waves back in.

also, please get a long line and still have it attached. You never know what might happen and better to have your possibly reactive dog tethered IF anything happens

1 - 4 of 4 Posts