Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have never been timid or fearful of any of my dogs and im still not of them , if something popped off here at the house between my dogs im set up and ready to deal with it. We go out of our way here to make sure every dog is safe and has there own spot , crate, kennel , run whatever if needed and are never left alone.
HOWEVER..... After this last incident awhile back while on a walk with luna where we were charged by a lab x who was being walked by young kids unable to control him obviously { there is a thread on this somewhere already} I find im really nervous when walking certain dogs and quite often I find myself changing my mind as to who I walk a minute before i dtep out the door ill switch the leash to luna or pep one of my quiet well behaved girls who I know if they get charged will listen to me and not fight back. All my dogs are great on leash and I have all the confidence I can control them in any situation but there are those who if confronted by an aggressive dog I know they wont back down and it could be bad. I guess Im more worried about others involved like the kids that day they had no clue what to do and were very scared just by looking at them.
Not really sure how to get past this issue lately Ifeel bad for a couple of my dogs we no longer walk in the woods and I have changed my route I go with them to a smaller circle , I miss the longer walks but worry about being in the forest away from help if something like that happened with them. BTW I dont walk Loki he is to powerful for me with my hip injury it just isnt worth the risk.
Im sure others who have been through things like this have had doubts and concerns how did you get past it? or should I just continue with the switched route and avoid the forest where there has been an issue? I havent even walked luna back through where that all happened , I wasnt able to find where the kids lived so not sure if they are still walking that dog or not.
KG mentioned in another thread to get some pepper spray and I have been meaning to get some bear spray just keep forgettin while im out ,will have to put it on a list lol.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Yea the spray would be good. The kind I have has tear gas in it and will put any crazy dog down to ground in a second. I can be a bit timid at times and off leash dogs charging scars the :poop: outta me so I don't mess around, I'll spray the :poop: outta em before I let something crazy happen to my dog or possibly me.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
walk with "Halt" any off leash dog comes within 6 feet of you spray them! It will deter most dogs and save you from getting worried, I always walk with some. You can buy it many places and works the best out of any sprays I have used.

ARI - Safety Products for the Utility Industry

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks ill look into that one

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
The spray is a good idea. The question is are u only going to spray a big dog that opposes a threat to u? What if its a little dog that runs toward u and the "prey drive" kicks in? Are u really going to spray a chi or something like that? So as the spray can hadle one issue, it doesn't handle them all. I think u got the right idea w limited walks on the dogs that u know that u can't fully control. :)

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I personally will spray dogs of any size if they get within a certain distance and are undeterred by my yelling. I'd rather spray a dog than have a dog fight. Even if there is a little dog, if that dog pushes my dog's tolerance levels one bite could end it. And guess who'd get the blame? The Pit bull or German Shepherd mix or the Chihuahua?

I can definitely understand the paranoia though, the spray helps a lot.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate lil yappy dogs there is no issue with me spraying a chi lol

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
I would check with your local laws before you spray a dog. I personally have bear mase (sp?) for when I use to live on the other side of town and there were way to many loose dogs, and it is actually illegal and I could get charged for animals cruelty for spraying a dog. We found this out when a lab mix we had been having problems with rushed my husband and daughter ( we had no dogs with us), while talking to animals control about doing something about that dog ( they refused to do anything because it had yet to maul my child) I told them and the owners next time I unload a full can to the face and the officer ( who was on my side of this issue) kindly told me that spraying a loose dog BEFORE it attacks you or your animals can result in you being charged with animals cruelty. If anyone looks at animal crusty laws your get into more crap with animal cruelty than child abuse. However that same officer is the one who kindly hinted that bear mase goes farther lmao I had regular mase at the time.

Just check for your area, Canada may not have any care unlike CA.

I am in no way saying not to use the spray ( Like I said I have it even knowing the possibly risk of an animal cruelty charge as I am not going to have my kids or dogs attacked) I just want you to be aware as I found it quite hard to believe I had no right to protect my property from loose dogs.

I fully understand your situation. I lived in the ghetto before moving a couple months ago and it was impossible to go for walk with all the loose dogs. I could never take my smaller dogs, I always had to have a dog I knew could throw down if another loose dog came around ( they were often pitbull type or labs), which is also why I walk my dogs in pairs.
I am a big girl though and can hold a lot of dog back lmao.

So I understand your worry of just trying to take your dogs out for some simple exercise and a nice walk, but having that risk of an issue just waiting to pop up. Have you thought of getting a mill maybe and just not walking in your area? I know you enjoy the walks to, but just a thought.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Ooo good info Holly. That's kinda weak though. How they can tell you that is beyond me. So you have to let your kid get bit before you protect them? What sense does that make? I know they make a spray specially for dogs but it probably goes into the same thing that you still can't spray it till it does something.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
It's like there here in Anderson Holly (although I don't know about the mace spray, I'll call up and ask them) they will not do anything about a dog until it has actually severely injured someone. I was attacked by our neighbor's Lab, luckily I had my baggy jacket on at the time and that's all it grabbed. Dakota jumped the fence and attacked it. I separated them, tied the Lab off to a tree that used to be next to our yard while Dakota was in a sit stay. Called Animal Control, they wouldn't do anything. Friggen irritated the heck out of me. The dog attack the wrong guy shortly after and he shot it.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow thats kinda stupid to have to wait until a dog attacks you too spray,I will double check our laws here though and see what it says I know the animal cruelty cases can carry heavy fines and or time so wouldnt want that. I used to walk my girls in pairs and stuff but with this recent issue Ifound my hands full not with my dog but I had the other dog by the scruff If i had 2 of my own i would have been 1 hand short lol. So recently Ihave been walking 1 at a time , the only 2 I would walk together now would be pep and luna neither would go after a dog like cali or crush would if i got rushed like I did with those 2 on leash it would be a battle they dont back down from nothing.
I wish I could figure out where those kids lived the spca here will go out and talk to them if complaints are placed but then again it wont necessarily prevent them from walking him again. Im finding the later walks are working out better like after dinner right before it gets dark I dont see many out at that hour , and once school starts here I can walk them during school hours and know the kids atleast arent out .
WE have looked into a mill and since Im on this recent health kick trying to get back into shape lol I will be purchasing one more for me but if it comes down to I cant walk my dogs safely they can use that as well .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.