Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Plant Working animal

This little guy's name is Saban. He is in a shelter in Alabama and those eyes are just begging me to get him! He is eight hours from me and has some issues. He has been in a shelter his whole life and he is now 9 months old. He is extremely hyper and needs to be socialized more. I currently have 5 pitbulls, so whats one more right? haha. Anyway if everything goes right little Saban will have a new home with my bully pack. My only problem is I have a tiny little car and not much room for a crate... since he has been in a kennel his whole life, he has never been in a car, much less a car for 8 hours. I am very nervous about the drive. :( But as I really hope everything goes well and he can come home!

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
awwww Savannah look at his face, no wonder you fell in love with him and you may be surprised, he is prolly a dream in the car :D Good luck, let us know how things go :D I look forward to seeing him with your pack :D Hugs

·
Registered
182 Posts
Love the dog...not the name lol. Proud LSU fan here so take it with a grain of salt.
Congrats

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha well Brutus, My family is a die hard alabama fan... my daughters name is Allie Bryant so when I saw this little guy's his name was Saban... it was fate. He belongs with us! He also looks so much like my Sophie. I have never seen another dog look like her and its amazing.
Dog Eye Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Princess Sophie (ignore the blur infront of her, thats my spastic chihuahua)

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
lmaooo at spastic chihuahua, and I do adore Sophie's face :D HOOK 'EM HORNS :D:D Sorry just had too :p

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
HAHA nice, can you try for one of those doggie seat belts? they have a little box and the pup can be strapped in. Then you can see how he does and if he even needs a crate. he maybe so excited to be sprung and surprise ya :) lol Good job rescuing your pup, she is so adorable!!!

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I am not meaning to come across as a downer, but are you prepared to deal with the sort of mental issues this dog may have from being in a shelter it's whole life, with no socialization or training. He's going to be really really hard to train since he has had no prior training I am guessing and he is past the age where dogs absorb stuff easily.

Were you looking to add another dog or were you just browsing and let your heart get the best of you?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not meaning to come across as a downer, but are you prepared to deal with the sort of mental issues this dog may have from being in a shelter it's whole life, with no socialization or training. He's going to be really really hard to train since he has had no prior training I am guessing and he is past the age where dogs absorb stuff easily.

Were you looking to add another dog or were you just browsing and let your heart get the best of you?
Honestly yes, my heart got the best of me. I am a preschool teacher so I am at home for the summer. I have extra time to dedicate to him. Yes I know it's gonna be hard. I am nervous for sure but I am prepared to do what I have to do. :( Any advice would help.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Honestly yes, my heart got the best of me. I am a preschool teacher so I am at home for the summer. I have extra time to dedicate to him. Yes I know it's gonna be hard. I am nervous for sure but I am prepared to do what I have to do. :( Any advice would help.
Seek help from a professional trainer. I've been in similar situations where I let my heart get the best of me and took in pit bulls from the streets and from people who said they were going to shoot them if they didn't get a home. They were older puppies, they were a huge pain in the butt, I'll never do it again. Unless you have great experience in rehabilitating a dog..... this dog is likely to have a lot of fear issues once it gets out of the only environment it has ever known and into the real world.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good for you...cute little guy...looks like sophie. Good car experience or bad..8 hrs isn't that long, it's a flash compared to his 9 mos in a shelter. He's lucky to be sprung.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good on you for giving this pup a chance at a life ^_^ he's in for a real treat that's for sure. 8hrs isn't soo bad, when we brought back our first pups, Chow x Husky, they had each other at least to just sleep on the back seat of my super small car. If you have someone who could go with you, maybe make the trip easier for him. If not I'm sure he'll do just fine :) & I agree with Shes Got Heart , training/behavior classes are a must.

Good luck with everything, keep us posted & more pictures please, he's a cutie ^_^

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am going to get him next saturday, my boyfriend will be going with me so maybe it won't be too difficult. I am pretty nervous though. I hope he is happy with us. Anyone have any tips on introducing him to our pack? My bf is great with our other dogs. They are listen very very well. My vet has complimented on how well behaved they are several times. Saban does get some attention from the people at the shelter. Everyone is saying how great he is and how they are so frustrated no one has wanted him all this time. From what I see they spend alot of time with the dogs there. I am really excited. Thanks for all the encouragement!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts