Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys !!

I was wondering if I should give my puppy a raw egg on top of her food to help to keep her coat healthy ?? I know you should give some dogs eggs but wasn't sure if it would do anything for hers or if she was too young. She is 4 and 1/2 months !

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Per Deb (geisthexe):

RAW EGGS Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems.

EGG SHELLS Provide our dogs with much needed calcium. Eggshells consist of calcium carbonate (94%), magnesium carbonate (1%), calcium phosphate (1%), and organic matter (4%).

I wash the egg shells out and let dry for a night or two then crush them up into powder and sprinkle over food.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Oil and a good-quality kibble. Skip the egg.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Salmon oil/fish oils or flax seed oil. Of course a quality kibble helps but alot of the Omega 3's and 6's lose potency through processing so adding a good oil is very beneficial. I would stay away from the eggs. Here is a supplement thread I made last month.

http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/36127-supplement-sticky-why-not.html
Thanks for posting this Blue, and to Ava for askin the question.

I've been researching opinions on raw eggs for dogs and so far I see people being 50/50 on it. I'm just going to go with the flax seed oil/fish oil option for a healthy coat instead of the raw egg per day, and take it from there. It seems like there are less possible consequences when doing so. Thanks again!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Thanks for posting this Blue, and to Ava for askin the question.

I've been researching opinions on raw eggs for dogs and so far I see people being 50/50 on it. I'm just going to go with the flax seed oil/fish oil option for a healthy coat instead of the raw egg per day, and take it from there. It seems like there are less possible consequences when doing so. Thanks again!
I knew a couple of people with bandogs that would put a raw egg in the food and there coat and skin were horrible. I put my Bella on Flax seed oil a month ago and her coat never looked better. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts