Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandparents have some squirrels that live in the yard and every morning they come down from the trees and eat from the bird feeders and will do that all day(the squirells not my grandparents :)). My grandparents love watching them. They are trying to teach Roxy to not chase the squirrels(yeah I know,lol). Well she is usually pretty good about it. She will sit and watch them and sometimes she might bark and chase one or two. My grandma called me today to tell me for the past week Roxy has not chased a single squirells but cats are a different matter(we really need to work on that because I have 4 cats and she always chases them). I told to make sure to reward her when she is just sitting there. I am so proud of her, she isnt even my dog but I have been the main trainer and when they first got her I stayed the night and watched her at night to get her used to the house. So I say she is part mine :). She is stubborn but so smart.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good for you for taking a part in training. Glad to see you understand that it's problematical to train a dog to do something against it's instinct ( like not chasing cats , squirrels), especially when not under direct supervision.
My female was raised from 10 weeks with 2 kittens of her same age..chasing became a game for all of them. The cats would instigate a chase when she had no interest of her own. Now that she is an adult however, we have to keep them separated.
If you haven't already, you may want to look through the training section here and elsewhere for ideas and methods.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts