Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rain has been in heat for OVER 3 1/2 weeks now and has been bleeding for 2 of those weeks. It is driving me crazy!!!
I took her to the vet and she says that some dogs on their first heat can be like that. She asked me was there any other dogs (males) around her? She said that a male being around can sometimes make them stay in heat longer. I told her no..not in the house. We have been having to run off alot of the neighborhood dogs because they keep trying to come for an uninvited visit, and they keep peeing on all my flowers and newly planted trees.

She will not leave her heat britches on.....grrrrrr! She is bleeding everywhere!!!! So she has been spending alot of time in her crate. I hate having to put her in there but she is just bleeding way to bad.

I have never in my life had a female that stayed in heat this long. She is so swelled up back there to the point it is gross. Not trying to be nasty guys but it is 30 times bigger. Vet said that she is perfectly healthy and a whooping 62 pounds at 9 1/2 months old.

Has anyone else dealt with a dog that did this? Is there anything I can do?
I am planning on getting her fixed...sure and the world not going through this again....good gracious. She is just bleeding so bad and it seems like it is getting worse!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
No I can't remeber ever having a dog in heat that long. I know my sister hada lab that was very sickly so Shirley didn't really want to put the money into spaying her....not my choice, but Willows one heat was very bad it lasted about a 1 1/2 weeks and was yucky with discharge.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
it's very commen for dogs to do that.......... Havoc on her first heat bleed the entire month and with her last 2 heats she bleed almost 3 weeks...... she hated the diapers aswell but got use too them after about the first 2 days.......having her spayed would stop all your problems I personally will not spay another dog because I already have one with spay inc. and don't want to risk another one getting it but I don't have the problem with unwanted visitors like you do.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to wait and get her fixed when she is fully grown. I know alot of people get them fixed early, but I want to wait.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
aww ..poor baby, i wish i could offer help..

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
*laughs* sorry, my 2 yr. old has a prb. keeping his pull ups on too..

·
Banned
289 Posts
Im sorry....Hope it works out..She might need to be fixed earlier if its that bad..

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I have a friend that her female has really odd heat cycles shes may come in only once every 9 to 11 months but when she does shes in for like 5 weeks.

·
Registered
618 Posts
My Rain had her first heat and it lasted 3 weeks. THen not but 2 weeks later she had another one! Drove me crazy too. In her heats she gets all moppy and won't hardly eat and all she wants to do is lay around. I just had to wait it out. Nothing else to do but keep the boys away!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
one of my females cycle that long too, it's not that uncommon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts