Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was sitting in my living room with my dog Petey who is only 5 months on my lap, My wife's step-dad had pulled up in the driveway and she knew he was coming but I was unaware. Well he just walks in the house without making his presence known and my boy Petey jumps and kind of rushes growling and barking. He has never acted this way I have never heard him bark before other then whimpering while he's sleeping. I didn't say anything I was kind of shocked. He did stop once he recognized who it was. Should I have corrected him or was he just being protective?

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I think it could lead to something and the best advice I got from a trainer was to give the dog a place to go when there is some one at the door. I call my dogs bed "nasa" (which is a long story in itself) but basically get him used to going to a spot away from the door and give him something to do. Then your pup looks to you to know how to react next, he waits for you to introduce them to your pup if its a new person, or for your guest to call them over if they are used to them, however you want to handle it. the key it to give them a place they feel safe and know what to do when they are there. When I hear the door or someone on my steps I tell him "nasa" and he goes and sits right down on his bed and wait for me to tell him what to do next. Giving him a spot to go to when things are confusing or different gives your dog confidence and he doesn't react with fright or feel threatened when the unknown happens.

Reactions: Eric and Xiahko

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
I think it could lead to something and the best advice I got from a trainer was to give the dog a place to go when there is some one at the door. I call my dogs bed "nasa" (which is a long story in itself) but basically get him used to going to a spot away from the door and give him something to do. Then your pup looks to you to know how to react next, he waits for you to introduce them to your pup if its a new person, or for your guest to call them over if they are used to them, however you want to handle it. the key it to give them a place they feel safe and know what to do when they are there. When I hear the door or someone on my steps I tell him "nasa" and he goes and sits right down on his bed and wait for me to tell him what to do next. Giving him a spot to go to when things are confusing or different gives your dog confidence and he doesn't react with fright or feel threatened when the unknown happens.
:goodpost:

I always put my boy into a sit and stay and I tell whoever is coming into my house to ignore him and not even make eye contact with him. After a minute or so, then he gets to ok to come over and say hello to whoever has entered.

Another thing I would say to try to avoid any unfortunate accidents that may happen is to just let people know to knock first. It does seem like your boy was protecting his territory which all dogs can do, even though APBT don't really make good guard dogs. With them knocking, it will give you a chance to work on your stay with your boy.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
it could be the start to negative behavior as others have said, or it could be an isolated situation where he was caught off guard and instinct took over telling him there was an intrusion on his property. Either way i would seek out a training/behaviorist to find the cause and help train you to correct it and gain control. Preferably, one with experience in this breed if it is an APBT, Bully, AST, SBT, etc.

Both of my dogs know when its acceptable and when its not to act in that type of manor based on body language, feeling and command. Of course when my dogs get older and fully matured i will be taking their training even further with it, especially Myles given it was what he was bred for. (that kind of work)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts