Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I take off my thinking cap for the night, a question popped into my head. Do dogs have a strong leg, or legs, much like humans have a "stronger" arm or a lead leg? That's all...for now;) All this typing is making it difficult to finish my beer LOL!

·
Registered
600 Posts
no i dont think, unless of course they had injured one at some stage obviously more so if it happened when they were pups.

I do think they may have a favoured side. My old bitch is a typical bulldog with the tap dancing crap but also is obsessed with 360spins when she gets amped up, ie food time or when being flirted or just the first greeting for the day. she only spins one way, clockwise.................however when she is playfighting with other dogs she spins both ways depending on what the other dog is doing. She is a complete smart alec with younger dogs and loves to outsmart them which aint hard with young vs old dogs.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
*puts on geek hat* :)

Well, typically, your strongest arm is the one you use the most often, correct? If you're right-handed, your strongest is your right hand, left-handed, your left hand.

It's actually been shown in a few studies that dogs have a preference for either their right paws, left paws, or being ambidextrous. You can see this when your dog is gnawing on something -- which paw do they use to hold the object down with most often? Kane has a tendency to use his right paw the most. :)

You can google for more information by typing in "paw preference". There are a couple of studies done on various topics within paw preference. Here's a link to a study that aims to determine whether paw preference correlates to how well a dog is able to perform a task: http://www.few.vu.nl/~tbosse/papers/cogsci649-alphen.pdf

It's a pdf file, though. If you can't open it, let me know and I'd be happy to copy and paste the text and email it to you -- or anyone. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts