Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a blue brindle pitbull hes been in 2 fights and in his yard. hes almost 3yrs old was wanting to know if neutering him at this age will help on aggression towards future encounters.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
most likely not , but there are other benefits to neutering. DA is just in this breed it might calm him down a bit but taking away the DA it most likely wont.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Agreed DA is a part of this breed, some may some little or no DA and some are DA down to the bone. My advice would be to look through all the threads on DA and work with your dog on distractions, meaning teaching him to not pay attention to other dogs when your out on walks. Also I'd keep him away from other dogs in the yard too.

·
Bully Enemy #1
157 Posts
hi i have a blue brindle pitbull hes been in 2 fights and in his yard. hes almost 3yrs old was wanting to know if neutering him at this age will help on aggression towards future encounters.
As others have pointed out DA is part of this breed, and unfortnately this breed is not for everyone. The most important thing as an owner of this breed is, YOU are in control of your dog. Without knowing the background of the two incidents in specific, being able to contain your dog is vital. Sadly because of the notorious stature of our dog even when it may not always be our breed's fault the public eye is always looking for a reason to blame the APBT. Neutering him does have advantages as angel mentioned, also it can help avoid "accident" breedings which leads to much of the overpopulation that exsist in our breed. Good luck to you and your dog!

Reactions: Silence

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Well first I have to ask why your dog is being left unsupervised in a yard with other dogs?
Next would be that after the first fight why was he not contained properly?

Then neutering will not necessarily help the DA that is being displayed but can help health wise. DA is a part of this breed and cannot be trained out of them... There are other ways to control it though and if you really want a solution try a trainer seasoned...

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Well first I have to ask why your dog is being left unsupervised in a yard with other dogs?
My first two thoughts!

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts

Then neutering will not necessarily help the DA that is being displayed but can help health wise. DA is a part of this breed and cannot be trained out of them... There are other ways to control it though and if you really want a solution try a trainer seasoned...
The part in bold is the part you need to address, mullens32. Neutering is looking for the easy way out. As others have said, it has other benefits but in my experience, it has very minimal (if any) effects on temperament.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
well maybe he is here to learn :) lets let him explain and give the story on what happened and maybe we can point out some things to educate him on what could be done differently to improve his situation. its a good question " if neutering my dog will improve his DA towards other dogs" alot of people think it will. I had a lab who calmed down after we got him fixed at age 5 but he still used to attack my boston thats why I said it most likely wont help that issue. How long have you had this dog mullens? since pup?

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
I Agree with the First few Post's, as a Matter of fact over the last few days Ive Pulled up reports on the Positives and Negitives to Fixing Dogs as far as on a Hormonal Level and even though they remove the , IDK how to say it " Balls", it doesnt Eliminate testosterone Tottaly, Besides the fact these are DA breeds..
Go to the Intro Forum and tell us who ya are and a pic of your Dog, theres Good info on here and Good Members, Theres also Menbers that Like to ANSWER A QUESTION WITH A QUIESTION, LMBO...It takes all Kinds, Enjoy ;)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
actually my questions were in no way being rude just the first two things that popped in my head.... No one is jumping yet... Answering questions with questions is the only way to investigate situations that we do not know enough about to help with...

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I agree with everyone that it will not take the DA out of the situation, or instinctively out of your dog. It can be managed, but not when left unsupervised. In addition if you were not there to witness, perhaps the other dog attacked BECAUSE your male is still intact and they had an issue with him because of that? Neutering not only helps your dog but helps your dog not have to deal with those issues. In my dog, his aggression towards NEEDING to know and smell another dog, was gone. I don't out him in situations to see if he still would have a problem with another dog, but I would not be as scared if it does accidentally occur as it has in the past when other intact makes have approached us, them off leash. He was 2 when he was neutered. I was also nervous and wondering if it would make a difference. My dogs anxiety level has also decreased. I feel he has a better life now not always having an urge and seems happier, but not lost once ounce of personality and fun that makes me love him so.

Reactions: angelbaby

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
ANYONE ever heard of that old guy named..........oh yeah I remember Socrates, you know world renown philosopher guy...........

Socrates has become renowned for his contribution to the field of ethics, and it is this Platonic Socrates who also lends his name to the concepts of Socratic irony and the Socratic method, or elenchus. The latter remains a commonly used tool in a wide range of discussions, and is a type of pedagogy in which a series of questions are asked not only to draw individual answers, but also to encourage fundamental insight into the issue at hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts