Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pit bull and I got attacked by a lab today in a pet store. The parents were letting their five year old kid walk their full grown lab and he pulled free and attacked us. We're okay, but I'm so angry. My dog was a bait dog. He doesn't need that. Not to mention when my dog started screeching in fear, laying on the ground literally screeching, people started telling me to "control my dog." I almost killed the dog, the parents and the kid. And the pet store didn't do anything! The parents gave the dog right back to the kid, and he came after us again so I picked up my pit and ran out of the store. We ended up accidentally stealing a bag of dog treats, but I don't even care.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
haha good for you for stealing the treats. I hate when parents let kids walk their grown ass dogs. Just sucks in general, Glad you and your pup were not hurt!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Wow some people need to be smacked. Was this petstore a big chain like pet smart or anything? If it was I would voice a complaint to the head office and tell them what happened and what the reaction of THEIR employees was. Ridiculous. We have been attacked by a lab as well , almost same thing young kids were walking him and he got lose. These " family " dogs they claim labs are , are getting to be a bad named breed. To much bad breedings going on producing unstable dogs. I can say I would never buy a lab unless importing it from over seas, Been hearing alot of bad storys involving Labs lately.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Wow some people need to be smacked. Was this petstore a big chain like pet smart or anything? If it was I would voice a complaint to the head office and tell them what happened and what the reaction of THEIR employees was. Ridiculous. We have been attacked by a lab as well , almost same thing young kids were walking him and he got lose. These " family " dogs they claim labs are , are getting to be a bad named breed. To much bad breedings going on producing unstable dogs. I can say I would never buy a lab unless importing it from over seas, Been hearing alot of bad storys involving Labs lately.
There are decent Lab breeders out there, you're just probably not going to find them in common places. You'll find the out in the fields.

But let's look at any breed that's become popular and easily accessible. What happens? Idiots breed dogs that shouldn't be bred. It's sad that we allow our own kind to screw up dogs so badly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called the manager and yelled at her. It was a Pet Supplies Plus in Michigan. I will NEVER shop there again. The lab ripped through my shirt and they just let the people wander around the store like it was no big deal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. They didn't do anything. Meanwhile my mom is INSISTING it's my dog's fault because sometimes he flips one of her dachshunds. Can I just say how many times her damn dachshunds have bitten me and drawn blood? AT LEAST a dozen times, and that's just ME. Her favorite has bitten me, her, the mailman, the air conditioning guy, my sister, 3 or 4 of her school friends, my old roommate, the vet... But my pit, who has never put his mouth on anyone, is the aggressive one because he's displaying a normal animal behavior?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
There are decent Lab breeders out there, you're just probably not going to find them in common places. You'll find the out in the fields.

But let's look at any breed that's become popular and easily accessible. What happens? Idiots breed dogs that shouldn't be bred. It's sad that we allow our own kind to screw up dogs so badly.
Exactly Celeste people think it is just the bully breeds since that is all they see on the media in the negative light. Really the breeds that suffer the most are the ones popular at the moment, everyone sees a quick pay day and breeds that particular breed. Paying no mind as to what they are producing temperment and health wise. Labs have always been known as a great family dog but the way the uneducated breeders have run with them they are so far from there original package. Im sure there are good breeders out there but like any breed in this situation its hard to find them. Find a good working strain somewhere where they use them for hunting still, Same as any breed so far from there original purpose now .

·
Registered
51 Posts
That is awful, and I'm glad you got treats out of it. Yeah I had people fuss at my pit for defending himself against peoples dogs that are out of control. Just because they are small breeds don't give them a right to act bad. Also I heard that labs are the worse for biting kids though many people see them as the "family" dog. I have a lab mix and I'd rather have a kid around my pit then her. It can't all be just bad breeding, I think a lot of the issue has to do with people not training their dogs. They think the dog is a dog and don't need attention and will learn how to be good on its own. They end up being guard dogs and getting lose and biting someone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AJ, EXACTLY. When they came after me for the second time, I screamed "control your dog!" Some lady said "maybe you should control YOUR dog, he's the one growling." I said "My dog was a bait dog and this dog just laid him out on the floor because this kid can't control him. He has the right to be scared. Notice how even though he's growling he's heeled to my side. That's called training. My dog is a great dog. But even if he was aggressive, it doesn't matter, because I'm not the one letting him drag a 5 year old up and down the aisles!"

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, people can be so ignorant to blame others than themselves. I have dealt with many people that see small bad behaviors my pit does as a bad pit bull stereotype. Even though hes still a pup and I'm still training him. When my dog bit another dog (not bad) but after that dog bit him like three times and continued to bark at him I heard things like that dog is a pit and he will turn on you and don't take him walking because he will go after someones dog or a person and you will get sued. I never had any issues on walks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would of pulled out my knife and stabbed the dog to death if it happened to me. I would simply slice its throat, I'm pretty sure you have the right to defend your self against another dog attacking you, but you should check your local laws first.

Do you carry a pocket knife? if not you should get one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would of pulled out my knife and stabbed the dog to death if it happened to me. I would simply slice its throat, I'm pretty sure you have the right to defend your self against another dog attacking you, but you should check your local laws first.

Do you carry a pocket knife? if not you should get one.
I think you have the wrong forum the mass murdering Dog slaying website can be found at im crazy i need help - Google Search
Maybe one of those links can help you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah what ever....if any dog attacks me I have the right to defend my self. when I leave my house every day I expect the unexpected and I am prepared and trained in self defense and using weapons.
Slitting a family dogs throat is a little much don't ya think?
Kicking it seems more reasonable ...

·
Registered
33 Posts
For some reason, labs of any color hate my guy. Problem is the same with people who let their kids run apesh-- through stores and restaurants. In their mind, their little angel can do no wrong.

Same as people whose corgis/____shepherds run all over the place and interfere with other dogs that are nicely playing with each other. "hehe oh he's a corgi he wants to herd everything." Then they get plowed over because they are chasing a couple of 40 or 50 lbs dogs who are having a game of chase.

I will say though most corgi owners are aware their dog being dumb is why it got run over. Not so much for the lab owners I've seen.

There is one lab who is just over a year who always chases my dog and beyond just play barking and growling he will grab my dogs face and pull. Not just nipping like all dogs do when they play, it will grab on like it's trying to pull his lips off. His owner usually has his head up his butt just chatting away like he is at the water cooler looking the other way. Even the owner owners have said something dumb like "oh Gauge is a hunting dog thats why he does that."

My dog is only about 18 mo so most of the time he just thinks the other dog is playing.

Boxers are another breed I see that always have to get into the mix and take dogs playing and wrestling into a near brawl.

Just one of those things, with a pit bull 'looking' dog you have to be 10x as aware as all the other owners who are in the corner talking about recipes while their "family" dogs run crazy all over the place.

I was at one dog park and some guy had three small pointer type dogs who were going nuts all over the place starting fights with other dogs while he and his wife just stumbled around looking for earthworms or something.

The only dogs I've ever been bitten by are chihuahuas

The most tolerant dogs I see are GSDs /malinois.

·
Banned
118 Posts
Yeah what ever....if any dog attacks me I have the right to defend my self. when I leave my house every day I expect the unexpected and I am prepared and trained in self defense and using weapons.
People that have mind sets like you should not own our breed, don't get me wrong i would go to any measure to protect my dogs, but you just sound arrogant.

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
People that have mind sets like you should not own our breed, don't get me wrong i would go to any measure to protect my dogs, but you just sound arrogant.
And I would lean toward disagreeing with you. I feel as if you are not prepared you cant define yourself. Now my training or what I have on me is not the point. Nor would I go straight for the kill, but I will protect me and mine.

At least people with dogs (of any kind) should carry Bear Mace or something similar, if you wont carry a weapon. there is a posting here on it, I will try to find it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts