Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was in a convo with a complete stranger. they asked if i was going to breed onyx i said HECK NO! they asked why and i got all into apbt overpopulation and poor breeding. they then told me if my dog still has his jewels i need to breed him or else it is cruel not to. then somehow he got onto cats. he said well cats are everywhere they are way too over bred. and i just might as well breed onyx cuz it is not as bad as breeding a cat. and more moral then cat breeding. i told him i understood there are way too many cats and i know how pregnant cats go...(they have so many kittens, they grow up and have so many kittens the original mother goes and has more kittens. and all that) i told him it is a shame no doubt buuuut with apbts being over bred there are bigger issues then cats being over bred. like unwanted dogs...not as easy for a stray dog to live as a stray cat.the majority of ppl who buy from bybs only buy for image, and can be abusive so they get an intimidating dog, a lot of owners dont know the first thing about apbt...which i would say is the actual breed name instead of just pitbull. these dogs can be poorly bred and have faulty temperaments so on and so forth. im not really a cat person but i am sure cats are pretty much universal even if they are different breeds.

so i was wondering how many ppl here actually would think over breeding cats is worse then over breeding apbts...im sure most will agree with me but maybe i am wrong? i doubt it though.

Reactions: StaffyDaddy

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Anything can be over bred if there is not responsible people on both sides of the equation, breeder and owner. Don't get me wrong. I know everyone wants a puppy. I do too but that isn't in the cards. I would much rather save a pup from a shelter, than buy one from a BYB. But then again it's kinda the same, because most dogs from BYB make it too the shelters. I know you can't always tell what is wrong with them, but you can't always know if a BYB is on the level with you as to what his or her pups have wrong with them. Now if you go to a reputable breeder who is in it for the breed and not to make a quick buck, and you want to work or show the dog, thats a different story. But you all know that so I won't say anything about that.

Reactions: StaffyDaddy

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
If the lady really said all that ignorant mess, I would have just laughed and turned. I can't handle trying to keep a straight face with some crap like that thrown at me...

You run into some REALLY off people, jessica. Perhaps there's something in the water. LOL

·
Registered
628 Posts
IMHO, overbreeding of dogs in general, regardless of breed is worse. Cats manage to make it pretty well feral whereas dogs do not. In reality, overbreeding of companion animals in general is outrageous. The larger predators are in short supply to cull these feral populations and we have FAR TOO MANY companions being destroyed in shelters. Part of me really feels we need to have a system that monitors and drastically limits breedings. I know many of the breeders on here would disagree and I can completely understand that since I feel most of the breeders on here breed for betterment of the breed but I spend way too much time around rescues to really feel otherwise.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
IMHO, overbreeding of dogs in general, regardless of breed is worse. Cats manage to make it pretty well feral whereas dogs do not. In reality, overbreeding of companion animals in general is outrageous. The larger predators are in short supply to cull these feral populations and we have FAR TOO MANY companions being destroyed in shelters. Part of me really feels we need to have a system that monitors and drastically limits breedings. I know many of the breeders on here would disagree and I can completely understand that since I feel most of the breeders on here breed for betterment of the breed but I spend way too much time around rescues to really feel otherwise.
:goodpost:

3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If the lady really said all that ignorant mess, I would have just laughed and turned. I can't handle trying to keep a straight face with some crap like that thrown at me...

You run into some REALLY off people, jessica. Perhaps there's something in the water. LOL
LOL I KNOW!!!!! no its not the water its where i live. theres about as many bums as ppl in apts!!! and people where i live are into some pretty heavy drugs and walk around down town tripping balls. if there were other places that would let me have onyx i would not live where i do! my area is an attraction for loonys. i think its cuz a while ago not too long ago though they let the patients out of the norwich hospital because the place was corrupt...it was a mental institution. and now most of those ppl and their children are bums. i have ran in to many odd balls and have known many odd balls! the apts are cheap so cheap apts attract ppl who can barely live. around here people who can barely live retreat to drugs. and 98% of the ppl you see downtown are druggies...a lot of them are harmless...its the dealers and none druggies you realy gotta watch out for.

i'll just put it this way if i posted a thread everytime i ran into a wacko my dog logos would have been glowing a looooooooooong time ago.:):roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts