Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so Vendetta was done with puppy class on March 16th. There wasn't another class for us to take. She has been home for the last couple of weeks. I need to socialize her so last weekend I took her town. We have 4 stores I can take her too. I started out at the local feed store. Bill one of the guys in the dog club works there. He was working so he sat on the floor and worked at getting Vendetta to go up to him. She would take the treats but really didn't want to be petted by him. It was strange tho after a lady came in and Vendetta was petted by her she went right into Bill's arms. The same thing happened at the third stop a pet store. Ron could give treats but after a woman petted her she let Ron pet her.

I noticed tho that she shows alot of dander during these times. Do you think I should maybe only go to one store and do a walk around town or continue to do what I'm doing with the 5 stops( one vet office) and the walk around town?

I also took her to class last night and Bill stopped by and we worked on going up to him. She took treats she laid down and acted calm she just didn't want to be petted by him. She did jump on his leg and wind herself around his legs when he left. She doesn't have any trouble with Jon a member of the flyball group.

I don't want to over stress her out but yet I want to expose her to as many people as possible. Any suggestion would be helpfull. Please remeber I live 34 miles ( one way) from town and work. I can not be going home and back into town all the time. I have to work these trips into days off. So once a week is about all I can do.

·
Banned
2,128 Posts
I think taking her around town is good exposing her to bikes, cars, honks, sirens, and what not. The vet visit doenst need to be done that often IMO unless your dog is freaked out by that. A store is a store is a store. Around town stuff is much more important for example. Maverick sees moving bikes all the time he has no problem with them... for the first time he saw someone on a bike sitting still... he was very POd at this lol. Funny how such a suttle difference can trigger fear.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I think I missed what is the original issue, is she shy of men, or all people in general?

If it's just men, maybe you can have some sort of gathering at your house, like have a husband, son, brother etc invite friends over to watch the game, or play cards.

Maybe you could take her to doggy day care 1 or 2 days a week? Or if one of the dog friendly places you take her is willing, maybe you could leave her there once or twice while you work, and she can stay in her kennel so shes safe, but she can get used to the prescence of other people?

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes she is showing a shyness around men. I don't have a husband ( thank goodness). I don't have many men friends I have one son so she is used to him. I can not afford doggy day care so that is out.

I was taking her to stores because when people see her on the street they are leary of her. The pet stores adn my place of work are pet friendly plus I know the people there so it is more relaxed enviroment.

Plus she shows more dander at the stores than the walk around town. What I was wondering about was the dander this is a sign of stress. Do I tone down or keep at the pace I already set?

Yes she hates the vets. That is why i thought it a good idea to stop by once a week so she thinks it is a fun place to go.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I would keep doing what you are doing. Just go slow like you are. You've got your head on straight. As you know the more you give in to a behavior the more they think you want this behavior...

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I think that the stress is kind of a necessary evil, if you only put her in comfortable situations, she will never learn to relax. Unless you see visible stress, shaking, crying, peeing herself, I would say continue as you have been. My girl has problems with submission peeing. She never pees on me, but she pees on my hubby sometimes when he picks her up, she loves being picked up and held like a baby so she will be wagging her tail and kissin. When we walk and we meet new people, she usually goes right up to them, and tries to climb in their laps, but pees while she does it. So I try to go slow, and have people speak calmly, and pat her on the head before they crouch down.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I would keep up what you are doing and just make sure she is getting lots of praise and reward for being a good girl. My dogs still don't care much to go into a place but are very relaxed to meet anyone outside, Stores and what not just give them the willies lmao. She just needs more time to get used to all this new stuff.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Yeah welcome to black dogs. Combat always looks like he walked through a snow storm. I've added a tablespoon of flax seed oil to his diet just once a week its helping keep the dander down.

Since she's probably not around a lot of men she is probably just shy with them. I think what you are doing will work fine :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi My Mikado,

The shedding dander is definitely stress. I had one who blew coat like crazy at shows.

A few thoughts for you:

She doesn't have to be touched by everyone she meets. I don't want to have physical contact with every new person I meet, do you? Try this: name the person for her, just name them, as in a polite introduction. 'Bill, this is Vendetta". "Vendetta, this is Bill". All she has to do is look at him, she gets to stay in her own personal space, not be approached, not go up and be touched, to be reinforced. Reinforcement can be verbal here, your sincere appreciation-- food may act as an interrupt or distraction and may confuse the issue.

In my obedience class, all dogs are introduced to all people and all dogs, and they are reinforced for acknowledging in any way shape or form. We do this as a regular exercise. They get to where they enjoy this, and you can ask them, to 'show me so and so?' and they will swivel their heads and attention to that person/dog. They all enjoy showing off their knowledge, and this way the shy dog isn't forced into an uncomfortable position, and the hyper, bouncy dog gets reinforced for something instead of launching in somebody's face while overexcited.

She's going through an uncomfortable age, so take the pressure off of her. Do some introductions, don't make a big deal out of it, _then_ break out the food and have her do some tricks or obedience stuff. If you don't know everybody's name, point out some detail about them.

Good luck,

Julie K

·
Registered
163 Posts
I liked your reply Julie. Very helpful and strong point's you made there. I will remember this for when I take my little guy out. Thanks

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Juile. The reason behind me having her petted by people is becasue we are in the early stages of Search and Rescue. I have to be able to leave her with other people and also have others handle her ( give her commands). Presently we are working on human scent at home. Once all the snow is gone so we can work outside at the fair grounds I will asking club members to help me. I want Vendetta to feel at easy with everyone.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks Juile. The reason behind me having her petted by people is becasue we are in the early stages of Search and Rescue. I have to be able to leave her with other people and also have others handle her ( give her commands). Presently we are working on human scent at home. Once all the snow is gone so we can work outside at the fair grounds I will asking club members to help me. I want Vendetta to feel at easy with everyone.
Body part targeting would allow her to participate in being touched. We find generally that even shy dogs are able to give a chin target, and that can be built upon.

Good luck, and looking forward to reading more about your adventures.

Julie K

3,968 Posts
i think all htat socialization is a great idea! i mean i do know dogs tend to be more shy around men woman have a more gentle tone and arent usually so big and intimidating i also have heard a lot of dogs dont like men because of facial hair im sufe some may have issues with facial hair but i dont know if its really that manny. ne way woman seem more gentle and welcoming then a rough deep voiced hard handed man. who knows maybe the woman that came in was a quick little confidence builder sometimes dogs need a quick little ego boost to man up and decide they will take a try.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Yes she is showing a shyness around men. I don't have a husband ( thank goodness). I don't have many men friends I have one son so she is used to him. I can not afford doggy day care so that is out.

I was taking her to stores because when people see her on the street they are leary of her. The pet stores adn my place of work are pet friendly plus I know the people there so it is more relaxed enviroment.

Plus she shows more dander at the stores than the walk around town. What I was wondering about was the dander this is a sign of stress. Do I tone down or keep at the pace I already set?

Yes she hates the vets. That is why i thought it a good idea to stop by once a week so she thinks it is a fun place to go.
Ceaser shows alot of dander when he sees someone he does not know and when he gets stressed also. I would just keep doing what you are doing.
She should settle down. Taking her in a new place with new smells can cause alittle stress. She has been took out of her comfort zone, but that is good. She needs to learn how to adapt in certain situations and get use to all the different smells,people,cars,etc..
Maybe you can old her close to you when a male comes up and allow them to pet her instead of letting her do it on free leash. You are enabling her to have a possible "flight" path..which can cause more stress because she can only go to the end of leash. You holding her collar and letting her know that everything is ok would be more reassuring for her. Make it like a game and be happy with your voice like..."who is that girl"...but be happy and bubbly..she will feed off of you. If you are worried about a male coming up to her because of her shyness then she will feel that from you.
Good luck with your girl,,you are on the right path to have a happy, socializable girl.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. I'm not worried at all I know she will get better. I learned along time ago to always be postive when dealing with animals. I could try holding her she is getting a little bit big tho. I also have been having the people that give her treats make her do her sit and/or down before she gets the treat. We are heading into town this afternoon. Might go by the college as there will be lots of folks around. Our college hockey team made it to the frozen four. They are having a rally today.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts