Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Silver VIP Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yup, I'm officially labeling Nubs as fear aggressive toward other dogs. No not DA, FA. He's fine with other dogs as long as I introduce them in a manner in which he feels safe, but he is now FA thanks to all the off-leash dog attacks that have happened on him.

He has been scared for a while of dogs that are not behind a fence. Any dog that is just on a tether in their yard he'll stop, the hair on his back will go up, and he'll stiff leggedly stalk the dog until he knows that the dog can't get to him, then he'll go on his way like nothing.

Today we were approached by the 3rd dog in 3 weeks that was off leash and Nubs has officially had enough. He has never been fond of dogs running at him that he didn't know, it scares him. Both of these two dogs ran at him, and one came out of nowhere since I was able to block Nubs from seeing the dog until it was sniffing his butt. He doesn't like that.

The First dog was a Black Lab Mix that full out, attacked us 3 weeks ago while out on the scooter. That was the 2nd attack while on the scooter this year. I was able to scare away the Lab mix pretty easily but the damage to Nubs and my scooter was already done. Also this caused the limp that Nubs had just gotten rid of to come back full force. That made me madder then the attack itself.

Last week we were out at our local field playing off lead. There was a Black lab (different then the first) on the opposite side of the field and Nubs is great off leash (perfect recall even with other dogs around) so I wasn't worried about him going over to the Lab. When Nubs spotted the Lab, he perked up but a "NO!" from me instantly stopped any thought of him going over there and he came back to me for some more sniffing. The Lab must have heard me and took off after me and Nubs. I saw her coming (with her owner trying to get over to me as fast as possible), put Nubs back on lead, and tried to calm her down before she got too close. It worked and Nubs didn't even see the run over, but he did NOT like the fact she was in his face right away. It took about 30seconds before Nubs let her know that he didn't want her around and then it was on. Nubs went in for a bite. I had Nubs where he couldn't get to her. The guy said he was sorry about a million times, and I said "No biggie". No one was hurt and the guy learned a lesson about his dog. Nubs had a nice blue tongue before all was said and done, and that was it.

Tonight we were out walking, and this Husky was out loose in it's front yard with it's owner. Not the first time this has happened. Normally the guy is right there, tonight he was a tad slow. The Husky ran up to us (First no-no), ran right for Nubs's butt (Second no-no) and that was it, Nubs just struck. Full out, "I'm going to kill you" mode. Thank goodness I know my dog and already had him by the collar before anything could happen. The Husky's owner was right there, but had a heck of a time catching the dog. He wanted to play keep away and attack Nubs. If Nubs didn't growl and snap, all would have been fine. But NOPE! Thanks to all of these idiots allowing their dogs to be loose, my dog has now been ruined. Thanks a lot.

Thankfully he's still fine at Agility class. He can be around dogs just fine, just wants to play with them all the time. No issues being walked around in only his Weight Pulling Harness at WP's. I am kind of scared for this weekend though. I'm taking Nubs with me to my Grandparents house since they live very close to a WP that is going on. They have 3 dogs, one that is 17years old, one that is 3, and the other that is 6. This may be interesting. Hopefully if I do what I normally do, a fence greet and allow him to smell them first before actually letting them meet all will go well. This dog has no social skill but is normally submissive to other dogs. Wish me luck for this weekend.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i feel your pain

i know exactly how you feel i think im the only person in my neighborhood that owns a leash. we recently got a new pup and i have had 3 times already where another dog usually an ankle biter has came and attacked him.The last one that did it i kicked right back out of my yard , we have a female and she got bit by a chihuahua she hates little dogs

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
DM, I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I'm at a loss for words right now as for how to rehab Nubs, but when I think of something, I'll be more than happy to post it here for you. I wish you the best of luck at your grandparents' house and hope Nubs doesn't have any problems.

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
Cindy, many of us know how you feel all to well. I really wish some dog owners took a class in proper dog owner ship. You work well with Nubs so I'm confident you will help him through this and channel those feelings in a more positive reaction or non-reaction.
Hugs to you and Nubs, I hope your weekend is peaceful...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts