Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Zeus to vet last saturday for 3 month wellness check up, now weighs 24lbs. And vaccines. Vet says he's doing great, I do not plan on breeding..so are there any suggestions on the right age and is this a good choice?

·
Registered
48 Posts
He's beautiful but most vets won't neuter until they're 6 months or older... Some do it at 5 months but surgery always has a risk to it, I just got my female spayed. She made it through her spay surgery fine and fixing a female is more risky than neutering a male

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
If you're capable of managing your dog while intact, and preventing him from breeding, there's no reason to have him neutered until he's mature, if at all. I had my boy neutered at 2.5 and I'm very glad I chose to wait. More research is showing that juvenile spay/neuter can have some harmful effects later down the line.

If you don't feel comfortable managing an intact dog, then yes, most vets will do it after 6 months old.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. Only have the 1 dog so not worried about mating. Just want whats best for him and his future. Prob will mot neuter unless he starts to get aggressive. Thanks again. He is growing so fast

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Whether or not a dog is intact has nothing to do with being aggressive. Dog aggression is common in bull breeds, so it may pop up around maturity, but that's a possibility regardless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts