Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

just thought I'd register. I grew up around a Pit Bull since my aunt used to own Pittie and later an AmStaff Terrier.

Love the breed. Would like to learn more about the breed. I'm a little involved with SAR and know three Pits that used to do SAR in Germany. Know another Pit that's doing SchH.

Have three dogs myself, no Pits though. At least not yet. Thought I'd learn a little about the breed standard, lines and breeders as well as how people deal with BSL and prejudices.

PROST! :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
welcome and Cheers! :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Welcome! I take it your from Germany LOL! Is that a good guess?? And let me guess....you have GSD's :)

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Yep and yep, we live in the US now, however. I also had a Bully GSD mix Foster which was a doll. Does that count, even though she was called a boxer mix by the resuce to avoid BSL trouble? :D
haha yeah they all count that's quite a mix! You got any pictures I would love to see! :) My good friend lives in Germany! LOVE him so I am sure all Germans rule ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is one of the girls, Indra

The other girl, Nala

That's the bully mix girl I had fostered, she is adopted now.

This is another picture of her

the two fosters in the front and my girl in the back

the two fosters watching out the door

my boy Judge who had to be PTS with just one year. :cry:
miss him very much. He was the full brother of my B&T girl

and finally my boy Yukon. My heart dog

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
GORGEOUS! I have a soft spot for sable colored GSD's. Stunning dogs you have :) I love the GSD/bully mix and your other fosters as well :pup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you.

Luckily, both Fosters got adopted out. The Bully mix truly was a doll. She had no issues whatsoever running with the big dogs. She's partially covered by the sable but you can still see her. She's had a blast and was a rough player. No dog aggression whatsoever.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Thank you.

Luckily, both Fosters got adopted out. The Bully mix truly was a doll. She had no issues whatsoever running with the big dogs. She's partially covered by the sable but you can still see her. She's had a blast and was a rough player. No dog aggression whatsoever.

LOL! Great pic! A pack of wolves....I mean GSD's ;) What happened to Judge if you don't mind me asking :eek: He looked like such a sweet boy and healthy in that pic you posted of him :(

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL! Great pic! A pack of wolves....I mean GSD's ;) What happened to Judge if you don't mind me asking :eek: He looked like such a sweet boy and healthy in that pic you posted of him :(
He's had a deformity due to an injury when he was a puppy. Due to that he's also had severe ED and it would have taken about four surgeries to fix him back up and they couldn't give me a good enough chance to get him back to normal. He's had tons of drive. Too much drive for the deformity. He was limping after only five minutes being outside and started going into compulsive behavior because there was nothing where he could release all that energy and drive. Even mind-games only helped so much.

Even though he didn't really care, he was in constant chronic pain. Was on Rimadyl before he was one year old... and he was still in pain...

In the end the quality of life was decreasing. Other than that he was a healthy dog. If it wasn't for that injury... he would have been exceptional, he was exceptional an way too young. :cry:

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
He's had a deformity due to an injury when he was a puppy. Due to that he's also had severe ED and it would have taken about four surgeries to fix him back up and they couldn't give me a good enough chance to get him back to normal. He's had tons of drive. Too much drive for the deformity. He was limping after only five minutes being outside and started going into compulsive behavior because there was nothing where he could release all that energy and drive. Even mind-games only helped so much.

Even though he didn't really care, he was in constant chronic pain. Was on Rimadyl before he was one year old... and he was still in pain...

In the end the quality of life was decreasing. Other than that he was a healthy dog. If it wasn't for that injury... he would have been exceptional, he was exceptional an way too young. :cry:
Oh that is heart breaking! Such a young beautiful boy and taken to soon :( So sorry for your loss but you made the right decision for him....RIP Judge.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Welcome! Your dogs are beautiful
Funny you called Yukon your heart dog. I just used that exact term the other day to describe my boy, Loki (dog in my sig pic).

Glad to have you on board and that you are proactive in learning about a breed before owning one!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh that is heart breaking! Such a young beautiful boy and taken to soon :( So sorry for your loss but you made the right decision for him....RIP Judge.
Yes, way too young. Some people disagree and say I should have tried more or put him on even stronger pain meds but that wouldn't have been a life for him. He's had a lot of zest but that zest was counter productive for his health. If he had been a couch potato I wouldn't have pts'ed. But the way he was... it just wasn't going to end well. Every day I worried that he'd break the leg due to the way it was deformed.

Than you :)

Glad to have you on board and that you are proactive in learning about a breed before owning one!
I do like to be informed. When I saw those pits doing SAR in Germany, that was absolutely amazing. It was a great way to promote the breed, especially with that kind of reputation it has.

The only problem I see is that if we ever go back to Germany, I wouldn't be allowed to take the dog with me since importing them is illegal. So that is absolutely something I have to take into consideration. If I can't own one because of that, I can certainly get involved in fostering one every now and then once I feel savy enough and have the space.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Hallo!

And welcome to the forum, your dogs are gorgeous. I love APBTs but GSDs fit me better. (Shhh don't tell anyone here that)

I hope you like it here

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Great pictures!! Poor judge! That's picture of them tuning is awesome! Thank you for sharing! Is that a backpack in the first picture? (on my phone so pics are small) So cool I hate carrying my keys on hikes lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great pictures!! Poor judge! That's picture of them tuning is awesome! Thank you for sharing! Is that a backpack in the first picture? (on my phone so pics are small) So cool I hate carrying my keys on hikes lol
Yeah, I know. It wasn't an easy thing to do.

No, it's not a backpack, it's her SAR Training Vest. It was taken at the Woofstock Demonstration. They sort of gave us a short notice that they want a K9 demonstration and a professional photographer took that picture.

This is the other picture he took. Where she's picking up scent.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts