Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He still has HIVES... no more swelling or redness in his face, which is GREAT... BEEN treating him with benadryl since 8pm last night, when i noticed his break out. its been 14 hrs, and still, there are so many bumps. he hasnt eaten or drank anything, and WONT lay on the couch anymore, (WHICH IS HIS FAVORITE PLACE TO LAY) he's been running from room to room, which isnt like him at ALL. So i vacuumed in and around the couch and floor thinking something was bugging him, he didnt and WONT come to it right now, he is laying on the rug... WHAT DO I DO??!?!?!? Im not a rush to the vet kinda person, esp since they shot him with steroids and told me to give him benadryl LAST time for 250 dollars of their service, so im TRYING to avoid that.... here are some pics of his breakout...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Well if the benedryl isn't helping I don't see you having too many over choices... I would keep up with it today n get him in to the vet tomorrow. As long as it isn't a weekend or emergency visit it shouldn't break te bank especially if ur vet knows what happened and worked last time. I am curious as to what sparked the outbreak...

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
You can let it run it's course and he should look better tonight or go get him a steroid shot. I keep oral steroids around for reasons like this but I would continue to treat with the benadryl and let his body fight the reaction. As long as he can breath he is fine just give it another 12 hours IMO I would not rush to the vet. If he has a few spots that really itch go get some hydrocortisone 10 cream and apply it to the really itchy spots. If you have not already bathe him with dawn dish soap in case it was a contact allergy that could still be causing the reaction and was all his bedding twice in the washer with hot water. That is about as much as you can do right now.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
OMG! The poor thing. I have never seen a reaction on a dog like that. If it were me I would have taken my dog to the Emergency vet this morning. I understand the $$$ situation but if he is acting funny and not eating I would think another trip to the vet is a must. JMHO :) I would also do the dawn dish soap bath as PK suggested.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I have seen them that bad before and really no reason to rush to the vet, not eating is partly from the benadryl and not feeling well. Nothing the vet will do but charge a ton of money for a steroid shot that will still take hours to take effect and may or may not help. Kaos use to get reactions this bad all the time from ants and after the 2 nd trip and 300 dollars later I learn not to get excited unless he couldn't breath.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds good lisa.. it was clearing up today, to the point of not one bump, then came back a little on his neck. a few mins ago, just a few bumps.... not worried as much, he is fighting it off... it looks like it had to get worse before it got better. now its leveling out, but like i said a few bumps returned, not as bad or as big as the pics in this thread. ill give it some time. where do u get oral steroids from? in case it has to come to that. and blue, i went to a emergency vet last time for them to tell me to give him benadryl and a shot of roids', which didnt help much. spent 250 on the shot and visit, dont want it to come to that again if i dont have to... and i bathed him in dawn, thx guys. he just took his dose of benadryl a few mins ago too... *crosses fingers*

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
I agree with Lisa, and did you wash his bedding as she suggested? I'd wash it daily use a non perfumey detergent maybe a baby detergent if you can least for a few days and watch where he goes get a note pad and jot down his actions, where abouts during the times your with him, like where he is laying, what he is sticking his nose into, you may be able to pin point when and where this starts and the reason. Reactions/ Hives are so iffy sometimes they can get them back to back or just once and never come back again and you never knew the cause.
Though not dog related my oldest daughter use to break out in hives every spring out of the blue it started when she was 3 and doctors could not tell me why 4 years in a row then just like that stopped never had a reaction since and shes 23 weird.
Animals can be the same .... I'd look for something natural to boost his immune system as well, like Echinacea in a non alcohol tincture from a health store along with a non alcohol Milk Thistle tincture same place that helps with liver function to clear garbage out of the body just a thought ....

Also wanted to add after the dawn bath you might want to soak him in an oatmeal bath to sooth the itching and dry skin he may have ... or deep condition him with a good oatmeal conditioner ....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually bathed him yesterday in the dawn, FOLLOWED by an oatmeal and aloe shampoo thats all natural. and as we speak, i ran a load of laundry for his and MY bedding, since, he also sleeps with me, (but he refused last night) i was so sad LOL..... thanks for all your help guys, cairo means the world 2 me and i can't stand when he isnt in tip top shape, it breaks my heart.... OH and he is sleeping right now, for the first time all night. i cleaned the HELL out of my apt last night, not knowing what it was.. I FEEL lke it was a bug bite, possibly spider, because i found a bump on him that was raised, like how we get them, and it didnt look like a hive. It even had the eye, like a pimple or a bug bite. WEIRD..... maybe thats what caused it, because he was definitely home when it started. i came home from work to a softball over his eye, which, as u see in the pics, cleared up with the FIRST dose of benadryl. :) i think things are looking up, however i cant wait til his appetite comes back!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I would call your regular vet and tell him your dog has been breaking out in hives and you are trying to figure out what the cause is and in the mean time if he can give you some oral steroids. It is worth a try and some vets might do it without a vet visit if you just call. Phone calls are always free and can save money and time.

·
Banned
98 Posts
If you're not giving the proper dosage (enough) of benadryl it won't work at all. 1mg per pound is the dosage. Don't be afraid of overdosing the dog it would take a ton to do it. Check the mg on the package and try giving some more. So a 50lb dog would get 50mg of benadryl. If you got a 40lb dog give it 50mg anyway.

It should help that at least some.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I agree with boogie benadryl doesn't always work with dog's and sometimes need's to be given in higher dosages to have an effect on blocking the Histamine that's causing the reaction. Give the dog a little bit more than the recommended dosage every 8-12 hours. That would be 50mg as stated above. Hive's can last a few days so don't be alarmed if they go away and come back it's normal. If your dog was having a life threatening reaction (anaphylaxis) this type of reaction happens within minutes of exposure and effect's the airways your dog would have difficulty breathing and would need to be rushed to the VET asap! Your dog is not having that type of reaction it's a contact allergy that's causing the hives. What are you feeding him? What do you use to wash his bedding? Are you aware of anything he could have been bitten by? How long have these hives been going on?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They went away for a couple hours COMPLETELY today, but they are coming back now.. on his neck and chest and a few on his legs.. SMALLER, not quarter sized this time more like little mosquito bites.. i CANT figure out what it is causing it. Im going to wait it out a couple of days before finally taking a trip to the vet, i dont know whats causing it.....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with boogie benadryl doesn't always work with dog's and sometimes need's to be given in higher dosages to have an effect on blocking the Histamine that's causing the reaction. Give the dog a little bit more than the recommended dosage every 8-12 hours. That would be 50mg as stated above. Hive's can last a few days so don't be alarmed if they go away and come back it's normal. If your dog was having a life threatening reaction (anaphylaxis) this type of reaction happens within minutes of exposure and effect's the airways your dog would have difficulty breathing and would need to be rushed to the VET asap! Your dog is not having that type of reaction it's a contact allergy that's causing the hives. What are you feeding him? What do you use to wash his bedding? Are you aware of anything he could have been bitten by? How long have these hives been going on?
washing his bedding with a baby detergent, he started getting hives last night... today it cleared up, then n ow its coming back, smaller this time... i THINK he was bitten by a spider or bug or something, because i saw a couple bumps that DIDNT look like hives. he is ZOOMING up and down the house, not sitting still, i think its really bugging him. total, its been about maybe a day and a co uple hours.. he seems to be breathing just fine, and activity level is normal.. MORE SO NOW though, because i think he is getting annoyed. can he develop allergies to my furniture, which he GREW UP ON?!?!?! or am i taking it too far?

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Ok not to worry if they go and come back the benadryl is doing it's job. I had an allergic reaction to a medication and it took over a month for the hives to go completely away. This was even after I stopped taking the medication. I had only taken one dose! If the hives are lingering on for a week or two I wouldn't be overly concerned unless any new symptoms develop. Just keep giving the benadryl around the clock. If you didn't recently change food/diet it's most likely just an unknown contact allergy or reaction to a bite of some sort. Most of them time even if humans the cause of hives is rarely determined. They usually will go away after a good week of benedryl. Sometimes if they continue to linger you will need a small dose of steroids like prednisone to clear it up. But don't worry it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I JUST FOUND A DRAGON FLY IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!! KILLED IT AND THREW IT OUT!!!! COULD THAT HAVE BEEN IT? DO THEY BITE????????? I SAW IT 2 DAYS AGO BUT COULDNT KILL IT, SO ITS BEEN IN THE HOUSE THE WHOLE TIME, TIL JUST NOW.... COULD THAT HAVE BEEN IT?????? I THINK IM EXCITED, SHOULD I BE???? LOL

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok not to worry if they go and come back the benadryl is doing it's job. I had an allergic reaction to a medication and it took over a month for the hives to go completely away. This was even after I stopped taking the medication. I had only taken one dose! If the hives are lingering on for a week or two I wouldn't be overly concerned unless any new symptoms develop. Just keep giving the benadryl around the clock. If you didn't recently change food/diet it's most likely just an unknown contact allergy or reaction to a bite of some sort. Most of them time even if humans the cause of hives is rarely determined. They usually will go away after a good week of benedryl. Sometimes if they continue to linger you will need a small dose of steroids like prednisone to clear it up. But don't worry it's nothing serious.
OK so possibly no crazy emergency vet trip needed.. yeah, im lookin at him, and they are back.. :-( Ill give it a couple of weeks. but honestly, its taking a toll on me, cuz IM not eating because im so high strung about him being uncomfy....

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
not too sure about the dragon fly but this sounds like an acute reaction to something new like a big bite. If you washed all his bedding that should be good I do not think I have ever heard of a contact allergy causing hives that bad unless it was like an Ivy of some sort. Some bug got him is my guess, Kaos is really allergic to ants and he would have episodes like you guys is having and yes it can be scary the first few times. You are doing everything right hang in there. :hug:

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
OK so possibly no crazy emergency vet trip needed.. yeah, im lookin at him, and they are back.. :-( Ill give it a couple of weeks. but honestly, its taking a toll on me, cuz IM not eating because im so high strung about him being uncomfy....
Call the vet tomorrow and see if he can give you some steroids (prednisone) to give orally so you have it on hand for things like this. If this persists till tomorrow that is what I would do.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts